PDA

View Full Version : How many appliances do you have out in your kitchen?

ahrimie
03-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm trying to de-clutter my house. It's really too big for us but even with all the space, we find a way to fill it! Arg :(

I have: coffee maker (DH uses this 1-2x/week); electric kettle (use daily), bottle rack (daily), rice cooker (3-4x/week); toaster (3-5x/week); HUGE toaster oven (1-2x/week); microwave (occasional); knife set, all clad utensil set.

I also have a pretty big island that is never empty too..

How many do you have out?

bubbaray
03-04-2009, 11:54 PM
I have a very large kitchen. I have out my tea kettle and large toaster oven. I have a microwave, but I don't count that -- it is installed in the wall, not on the counter.

egoldber
03-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Oh golly.....

toaster - used every day
microwave - used every day
coffee maker - used every day
coffee grinder - used every day
rice cooker - used 2-3 times a week
breadmaker - used 2-4 times a week

knife block - used every day
2 utensil crocks - used every day

The one appliance I have out that I should put away is the blender. I use it maybe once a month.

ahrimie
03-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Ah, I have to count my microwave because it's not built-in :( Again, filling up the space I have...

o_mom
03-05-2009, 12:05 AM
On my counters:

toaster oven (5x/week)
coffee maker (2x/week)
microwave (5x/week)

knife set
canisters for flour, sugar, etc.
banana hanger

I have a tea kettle on the stove most of the time and over on the 'desk' area are the baby monitor and phone.

This is all theoretical, of course... I usually can't find them under all the mail, papers, artwork and other junk that piles up.

WatchingThemGrow
03-05-2009, 12:05 AM
out/daily - DH's coffee pot and toaster oven

blue moon but it stays out- Kitchenaid Mixer

Microwave/Advantium mounted above range, so I'm not counting it.
During baby seasons - bottle racks and Beaba Babycook stay out.

Ricecooker 2ish x/week, crockpot, Geo Foreman and blender get put away. I want a waffle maker.

I love clean counters.

SASM
03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
I voted 3-4 for countertop appliances, not including knife sets, etc. Here is everythng that I have out (I have an adequate amount of countertops):

- Wire drying rack near sink (used daily)
- Chicken-wire fruit basket (daily)
- Knife set (daily)
- 2 canisters and tea display (daily)
- Coffee maker (2x/week)
- 2-slice toaster (5x/week)
- Utensil holder (daily)
- Blender (usually once/month but lately daily for AM protein shakes...too tall for lazy susan storage)
- Not counting the Microwave as it is built-in.

Good luck with the decluttering.

Ohhh...my little food prep island has a butcher block and large stainless garbage bowl. During the warmer months I also have my stainless compost pail on there as well.

One more ooohhh...since I am listing countertop "clutter" I also have crayons, art supply storage, and my laptop on another counter in the kitchen. :) Wow...sounds like I have alot but doesn't look like it...thankfully! :)

bubbaray
03-05-2009, 12:09 AM
cr@p. I forgot my Kitchenaid mixer -- probably b/c I NEVER use it. I only counted plug-in appliances. I also have out a knife block and utensil canister, spice rack and fruit rack, and also a bin of dog food and all of our lunch bags. All are used daily.

Of course, like omom, I can't see any of it for all the mail and various paper junk laying all over the counters. It looks like a bomb went off in here.

MontrealMum
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Our kitchen is so so in terms of size, but the counter space sucks :( On the counter we have a microwave and toaster oven. They're used daily. On the extra Ikea shelving unit we added we have a Cuisinart, blender, iron, handmixer and I think a rice cooker (obviously we don't use that one too much LOL) which we use 3-4 times a week??. In the pantry I have things that are used less or not at all like the breadmaker, juicer, electric kettle (we use one on the stove), waffle iron and shakemaker (wedding gift) and lots of other things I've totally forgotten about. Spices are all in the pantry.

Just so you don't get the idea that my counters are all clutter-free though...they're filled with containers of pasta, cereal, cookies etc :) We live on the water and things get totally limp, also there is a bug issue, so any grain products have to be kept in glass, plastic, or tins - which means they don't always fit in the darn cupboards. Also, we have another added shelving unit for my cookbooks, gardening books, the phone and answering machine and DS' art supplies. And lots and lots of plants.

Octobermommy
03-05-2009, 01:47 AM
I feel so much better about my house now that we are trying to sell it. I put up the coffee maker, can opener, toaster, 2 utensil holders, the canisters and the napkin holder. I have a kitchenaid mixer, knives and 1 utensil holder on the counters. On the island I have a plate with fruit and bread. I love the empty space!

mamahill
03-05-2009, 01:51 AM
I have a food processor and a kitchenaid stand mixer. I also have a crock of utensils, but I don't count that. My knives are mounted on the wall to a magnetic strip and my microwave is built in. Few things make me as happy as seeing naked counters. :)

kijip
03-05-2009, 02:15 AM
My counter space is currently cluttered with:

Crockpot - we use it often and don't really have a place to put it away, it's really large and would take up all of a cabinet shelf.
Coffeemaker - used several times a week for pots of coffee
Espresso Maker - this is a very nice machine, a hand pump one that my husband uses most days.
KitchenAid Stand Mixer - Too heavy to drag in and out as needed.
Toaster- Too much of a hassle to drag it in and out every morning.
Electric Kettle - just don't know where else to put it.

We could stand to clear the space, but as a practical matter there is no where to put the stuff or taking it in and out for each use seems impractical or a hassle. We did put away the blender. Our microwave is built in- one of those microhood things.

fauve01
03-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Let's see, we have a built in microwave and cooktop. i guess technically the only extra appliance on the counters is the toaster, but there's a LOT of other crap on our counters--yikes. there is our bread shelf thingy, knife block, utensil crock, wooden dish drying rack, iPOD speaker dock, a small basket of kid music CDs not loaded on my ipod, my laptop (does that count as an appliance?) and then the giant stack of papers--school, recipes, etc, and a small pot of hyacinths in bloom. :-)

we also have a teeny desk area in the kitchen that holds the cordless phone dock, andswering machine, basket of DD's jackets, and recycling basket.

Good God, i need to declutter too!
anne

AngelaS
03-05-2009, 07:36 AM
I have dh's coffee maker out and that's it. I can't handle cluttered counters!

The toaster lives in on the lazy Susan and gets pulled out as needed. I keep the Kitchen Aid, blender and Food Saver in another cupboard and pull those out as needed too.

pinkmomagain
03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I have a coffee maker and a toaster oven on the counter top. My microwave is built in. I do have other things that clutter the countertop (ie. fruit bowl, knife block, and a few other things) though.

hillview
03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
We have:
built in microwave (don't count it)
toaster -- used daily
coffee maker -- used daily
bread machine -- used 2-3x a week
blender -- use once in a while -- could be put away
tea kettle -- used 3x a week or so (DH)

In addition, random crap, canisters for sugar etc, 1 utensil, spices, and bread box.
/hillary

mom_hanna
03-05-2009, 10:46 AM
We have a coffee maker & coffee grinder (used every day), a bread maker (3-4 times a week), a toaster (every day) and a tea kettle that sits on the stove. We also have a microwave but it's above the range, a rice cooker (used 3-4 times a week) and a crockpot, that get stored in the cupboard, and a cuisinart in some cupboard somewhere that obviously does not get used much. We do have a knife block on the counter, as well as canisters for flour, sugar, etc., a dish rack, a basket for fruit and another for onions, squash, etc. We don't have a lot of counter space and what we have is pretty cluttered. I don't like our kitchen. It's too small!

brittone2
03-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Right now:
coffee maker
stand mixer (I use almost daily, if not daily)
toaster (often put up, but it happens to be out today).
Microwave is built in

Near the eat-in area of the kitchen, I have a sideboardish thing where I have my clock radio w/ the iPod hooked up to it.

I keep my food processor, blender, stick blender, and crockpot in one of my walk in pantries. One of the pantries is devoted to food, the other is to small appliances, platters, etc. I have a small kitchen, but the pantries really help w/ storage.

HIU8
03-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Sitting on my countertop I have a toaster (used daily), a coffee maker (used once a week usually), and knives in a wood block. My microwave is built in above my wall oven. I have tons of storage in the kitchen so I have put away the following:

all utensils
blender
food processor
mini cuisonart
mixer
hand mixer (x2)
rice cooker
wok
crock pot
popcorn popper
george forman grill

m448
03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I have all the appliances I use more than once a week on the counter. My kitchen is small but if I had to lug out the mixer or food processor each time I used them, they wouldn't get used. So I have the following:

- microwave (built in), everyday
- food processor, every couple of days
- stand mixer, every couple of days
- toaster oven, every day several times a day
- DH's coffee maker (it's one of those pod thingies that's pretty slim so I leave it out for him despite him using it only a few times a year. Otherwise he'd take it out, use it and then it would be left in the middle of the counter)
- foodsaver, everyday (it's one of those flipup ones that's a space saver).

Appliances I put away are the two crockpots, the stick blender and the waffle maker. They are easy enough to put up and take out.

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Oh, I voted wrong. I said 5-6 but I only have 4; Kitchen Aid, toaster oven, electric can opener, Cuisinart.

Why use a toaster if you have a toaster over? If you want to free up counter space the toaster would be the 1st to go.

I have a ton more appliances but they are all away.

Beth

AnnieW625
03-05-2009, 02:55 PM
For the size of my kitchen (classic 1950s galley style in a 1200 sq. ft. home) it is cluttered with 6 items of small kitchen appliances!

2 coffee makers, 1, 8 cup, and 1, 4 cup (should put the 4 cup in the drawer as I only use it on weekends)
2 coffee grinders (I need to get rid of the second one and I really could easily put these in the drawer, but they never make it there)
Kitchen Aid mixer is next to the coffee makers
microwave is on a kitchen cart
toaster on another counter

I'd love a dedicated area for all of the non essential stuff, and I've done it before but it always ends up getting moved around even though we do have space for it. This post made me realize I do need to reorganize things again.

KrisM
03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I have out:

toaster oven - used a couple times a week, but no where else to put it.
iced tea maker

I also have a tool canister and knife block out. My bread machine, Kitchen Aid mixer, crock pot and flour/sugar canisters are in the pantry or cupboards.

egoldber
03-05-2009, 03:12 PM
So I put away my blender. Can I change my vote so I'm not the only clutterbug with 7+ appliances. ;)

jent
03-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Only 2 appliances (toaster oven and cuisinart) but way too many other things:

fruit bowl
utensil crock
canisters
spice rack
teapot on stove (drink tea daily, no coffee)
salt and pepper shaker
drying rack (never seems to get put away!)

I've been really wanting to try a crockpot and/or a ricecooker but no space for either right now.

And the appliances we have shouldn't be out... the toaster oven is a big black bohemouth (sp?) that looks ridiculous in our cute country kitchen; and I only use the cuisinart once in a while, esp since it traumatizes DD.

Happy 2B mommy
03-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I have decent counter space. I'm only counting things that plug in, not the banana hanger and my canister of kitchen utensils/big spoons. These things are used 5-7 times a week.

Microwave
Toaster
Coffee maker

and...
the TV! :o

Honestly, we don't watch much TV, but when we do watch it's mainly in the kitchen (it's a little 19" flat screen, so it doesn't take up much room. Unless DD is watching Super why or a DVD we almost never open the TV cabinet in the living room. Even last night, after DD was in bed, DH and I sat down at the island and watched LOST on our little tv. We got into the habit because DD's bedroom is so close to the LR that sometimes the tv would wake her. Now it's a habit. And I admit, I like watching/listening to Oprah while fixing dinner.

Oh, the laptop is at the island as well.

JTsMom
03-05-2009, 11:09 PM
I have a pretty small kitchen, but I have a lot of stuff out.
-Coffee maker and grinder- used daily
-Toaster-used hardly ever, but it's in a corner that wouldn't get used anyway. I probably should stash it though.
-Microwave is built in above the stove- didn't count it.
-Kitchen Aid mixer- used maybe once or twice a month, but way too heavy and large to be pulling in and out.
-Food processor- used a couple times a week. I use it as a blender for smoothies too. Lame, but it works. LOL
-I also have some other stuff- dish rack, knife block, some knick knacky junk, etc., but I wouldn't call that stuff appliances.

ahrimie
03-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Oh, I voted wrong. I said 5-6 but I only have 4; Kitchen Aid, toaster oven, electric can opener, Cuisinart.

Why use a toaster if you have a toaster over? If you want to free up counter space the toaster would be the 1st to go.

I have a ton more appliances but they are all away.

Beth

Good point! I've never used the toaster oven to "toast" anything though. I use it as a mini oven instead. I don't think there's even a "toast" setting. There's bake, broil, convection. How do you toast?

ahrimie
03-06-2009, 01:20 AM
So I put away my blender. Can I change my vote so I'm not the only clutterbug with 7+ appliances. ;)

hahaa, I'm putting away things now as we speak too. I first need to de-clutter my pantry and cupboards before putting things away. Seriously, I have tons of space everywhere; it's just not organized very well. UGH. Can I hire one of you that voted 1-2 or even 3-4 to come to my house??

All this clutter and mess makes me go bonkers!!

Neatfreak
03-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Well, lets see ...

- toaster
- microwave
- expresso machine
- rice cooker
- hot water pot
- water cooler (can't drink tap water where I live) ...

ThreeofUs
03-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Interesting. I have things out because we use them daily in the kitchen:
microwave
knives
dish drainer
water filter
tea kettle on stove
cast iron pans on stove

In our pantry sits our breadmaker.

But our counters are full of fruits and veggies, bread and books.

Melaine
03-06-2009, 08:04 AM
ugh too many.

toaster
coffee maker
single serve coffee maker
microwave
blender
kitchenaid mixer
are there all the time

bread machine, rice cooker, crockpot, are supposed to live in the cabinet. Too much clutter. Someone needs to invent the ultimate all in one appliance.

cindrella
07-22-2010, 06:12 AM
i have large kichen and modern too ... appliances not countable...:grouphug:

Corie
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
I have a pretty big kitchen with a lot of counter space and a huge island.

I only have my toaster out. I cannot stand clutter.

(My microwave is a built-in.)

billysmommy
07-22-2010, 09:09 AM
coffee pot (for DH)
espresso maker (for me)
toaster oven

for the next 3 weeks we have the "camp counter" on one side of the kitchen. I put out all the boys non-perishable snacks and they each pack their own lunchbox from that...it's amazing how less hectic our mornings now :)

boolady
07-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Toaster oven
Coffee maker
Microwave
Knife block
Dish rack
Utensil crock

zoestargrove
07-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Items that stay on my counter

Kitchen aid mixer (too big and heavy to put away)
Coffee maker
block of knives
a bean pot of utensils
olive oil and balsamic dressing (too tall to fit in cupboard)

the toaster and vita-mix get put away after each use

On the kitchen island, I have a nice arrangement of fruits that I don't like to refrigerate - it's attractive, but also really handy.

brittone2
07-22-2010, 09:44 AM
I only leave out the toaster (DS1 uses it pretty often) and coffee maker (used daily).

I have the storage for everything else so I put away anything else as those items aren't used daily.

In my perfect world I'd love an appliance garage to keep the counters totally decluttered.

In our previous house we had two walk in pantries so one was mostly food storage and one was most of my small appliance items. Very handy.

eta: whoops, I do keep my stand mixer out too. It is on this little section of countertop that is very small and kinda on the other side of the kitchen so I forgot (not in the main "L" of my kitchen space). That isn't used daily but is a PITB to lug in/out since it is heavy.

KHF
07-22-2010, 09:52 AM
I only have my toaster out. I cannot stand clutter.

Corie, remind me to stick to Ohio BBB meetups outside my home ;)

Honestly, most of the clutter on the counters in my kitchen isn't appliances. I don't have an enormously huge kitchen. It does have an island that usually has piles of my paperwork, kids art, things to be filed on one end. Then I keep my Kitchenaid mixer on the counter (though it's used so little it will probably transfer to the basement soon) and a toaster. But, I have an IKEA stainless dish drainer next to the sink to dry bottles, sippies, etc. on. And salt/pepper/oils to cook with, a garlic keeper and a crock for utensils.

Don't even ask me about the counter that is hidden next to the refrigerator. :bag That's where EVERYTHING that I don't know what to do with goes!

My piles drive my DH to the brink, so I really do try to keep them to a minimum (I'm not at hoarding level). I think I'm still trying to work out the kinks of where everything goes in the new (ahem...11 months now...) house.

lchang25000
07-22-2010, 12:29 PM
I have a large kitchen and HATE clutter as well, so we only have a toaster oven, hot water dispenser, rice cooker, cooking utensils holder, and a block of knives on the counter. The microwave is installed on a shelf against the wall so I wouldn't count that. Our other appliances are stores away in the cabinets. I have a decorative plate in the middle of our island where we put fruits, snacks, etc.

KrisM
07-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Okay, I saw this thread and said to myself "huh, there was a question just like this a while ago". And, sure enough, this one is from March 2009!

My counters and appliances are exactly the same now as they were then, although I have a new iced tea maker.

mommylamb
07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I voted 3 for appliances (coffee maker/grinder, electric kettle and toaster oven. I don't count the microwave because it's installed above the stove so not technically on the counter). But I have lots of other things on my counters that aren't appliances-- canister set, knife block, cook books, phone, fruit bowl (and several days worth of mail:bag).

essnce629
07-22-2010, 01:40 PM
We have 5 "plug-in appliances" out at all times:

Toaster oven
Toaster
Coffee maker
Frappuccino machine!
Electric water kettle

We have a ton of counter space, but I wish I had less stuff out. We also have on our counters at all times:

Knife block
Dish drying rack
Paper towel holder
Bottle drying rack (for straw cup parts and snack traps)
Wine rack
Most used cookbooks
Fruit basket/banana hanger
Potato/onion basket
All our vitamins/supplements
Salt & pepper mills
Cutting boards and cast iron griddle (standing up on their sides)
Digital baby scale
Dust buster

Geez! I think I need help!

essnce629
07-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Alright, so I now realize that this thread is way old, but it just inspired me to clear some stuff off my counters. I just put all our vitamins and supplements up into the cabinet! They were housed in 3 separate bins before (one for each person) and were taking up nearly 30 inches of counter space!!!!! I just wish I could put the coffee machine somewhere but it's too big. DBF only uses it once a week on the weekend so it really doesn't need to be out. Now I want to get one of those magnetic knife strips so I can get rid of my knife block too!

dukie41181
07-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I said 1-2 and thats only if the built-in microwave counts. Otherwise, we have no small appliances out. I store everything inside the cabinets...I don't know why but it would bother me to have everything out. Maybe its my OCD! :ROTFLMAO:

Indianamom2
07-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I have very limited counter space in a decent size kitchen (what were they thinking?).

I have a toaster oven, 4 slot toaster (redundant much?) and stand mixer out. I *just* decluttered my kitchen/counters last week and I love it.

I also have a microwave, but it has its own shelf underneath one set of cabinets, so it's not really in the way.

happymom
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Okay, I saw this thread and said to myself "huh, there was a question just like this a while ago". And, sure enough, this one is from March 2009!

My counters and appliances are exactly the same now as they were then, although I have a new iced tea maker.

Ha, that's funny! I also thought this thread sounded familiar, but every so often we have repeat threads, so I figured this was one of those threads.

Sweetum
07-22-2010, 05:20 PM
1. 2 toasters (yeah, we are really slow in getting rid of things)
2. kitchend aid mixer
3. microwave oven (we do have one that's installed over the range, but this one was used before that...told you, we are slow)
4. DS bottle rack
5. rice cooker sits inside but I do have a pressure cooker I use everyday and am too bothered to keep it inside a cabinet. so that too sits on the counter or a turned off burner.