PDA

View Full Version : A Target run-in - spinoff of 'SHE is a girl' thread.

mamaoftwins
03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Ok, so I went to Target with the boys this am.

Squish is wearing jeans and a blue long-sleeve shirt. Monkey is wearing jeans and an orange and dark green striped long-sleeve shirt.

A gal, probably in her 50s, walks past and stops and says, "Oh, what adorable girls you have. They must be about 12mos old?"

I answer, very nicely, "They're boys, and they're actually 16mos."

She says with a bit of a gasp, "Oh my, what big boys you have."

I answer, with probably a dumbfounded look on my face, "Yeah, they're growing really nicely!"

Ummm, what?!?! Lady, you guessed they were 12mos old, meaning that they must look like 12mo olds in your eyes. How is it that when I tell you they're older, you say how big they are? According to your logic, they must be small for their real age if you just guessed 12mos!!

The guys are both on the small end, so I can understand the guessing 12 mos part, but man, how can you say how big they are for 16mos??? And that they're girls??? Seriously.

People do not look before speaking and are not capable of guessing age or sex based on size/looks.

Just thought I'd share. :)

MamaMolly
03-05-2009, 11:41 PM
:banghead:. What an idiot.

I know I've told this one before, but gotta do it again: the time when a lady told me she thought DD (dressed in pink frills and ruffles with a HAIRBOW!!) was a boy because the stroller is blue. ?!?!? Still scratching my head over that one.

LarsMal
03-06-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't get the gender mix-up anymore, but I still get the twins thing a lot with mine. I guess I can see it- maybe- when they are sitting next to each other in a cart, but come on people!

I had both at the OB's with me last week. This woman had been making small talk for a few minutes- saying hi to them and commenting on how cute they were. With both up and walking around you can see they are CLEARLY not twins. But, she asked anyway, "So, are they twins?" Um, nope, they're 16 months apart. "Ohhh...they ARE 16 months apart?" Uh...yeah, that's what I said!!!! Pretty sure I have my facts right on that one!!

I also got last week (at 30 weeks pregnant), "Oh, are you expecting another one?" I sure as h&ll hope so or I've got something really funky going on here!

People!!

HIU8
03-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Mine are 31 months apart. DS is older and DD is the baby. I used to get a lot of "are they twins" just because I had them in a double stroller. What? Are you serious.???? Here is DS who is much larger than DD--GET YOUR GLASSES CHECKED. Granted, they do look extremely similar, but come on!

maestramommy
03-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Probably she was flustered at getting the gender wrong and said they were big instead of small for their age. :hug:

sidmand
03-06-2009, 06:28 PM
That is an odd thing to say. Maybe like Melinda said, she was flustered and said the wrong thing. Who knows? Yeah, people are just not paying attention are they?

C99
03-08-2009, 02:23 PM
People ask me if DS1 and DD are twins quite often. They 2+ years apart and DD is about 4" shorter than DS1.

ladysoapmaker
03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I also got last week (at 30 weeks pregnant), "Oh, are you expecting another one?" I sure as h&ll hope so or I've got something really funky going on here!

People!!

My favorite when I was pregnant with DC#4 "Are you sure you're not carrying twins?" I was big (she ended up being my biggest child). All I could think was "well, duh, the Ultrasound only shows 1 child and 1 heartbeat, I think we'd know if it was 2."

JTsMom
03-09-2009, 09:02 AM
The age guessing always bugs me- I have no idea why, but it does. It's like people want a gold star or something. And they are NEVER right. Here's a concept people- babies come in different sizes, and start doing things at different ages. You are not the all knowing baby age guesser, so save it! I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Wow, what a big baby!" and "Oh, he's so little for his age!" on the same day. LOL

Why can't people stick with something like, "What an adorable baby!"