PDA

View Full Version : Epi-pen question

infocrazy
03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
We keep an Epi-pen in our diaper bag, which I just realized has been in the car for a few weeks. It has definitely been below freezing in that time period. Is this an issue? It doesn't LOOK any different but is there some sort of sign to look for?

Thanks!

infomama
03-05-2009, 03:59 PM
I would replace it based on this info from Epi Pen

Q: Do extreme temperatures affect my EpiPen/EpiPen Jr.?

A: Ideally, EpiPen/EpiPen Jr. should be stored at 25ºC (77ºF). However, excursions in the range of 15º–30ºC (59º–86ºF) are permitted. These temperatures apply when storing the EpiPen/EpiPen Jr., as well as when you carry your pen with you during the course of a day.

If exposed to temperatures outside of these storage conditions, the product will be compromised and should be replaced.

EpiPen/EpiPen Jr. is not to be refrigerated, frozen or stored in a vehicle for any length of time.

DrSally
03-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I've always heard that it can't get too hot or cold. I have thought of posting in the BP that DH has Multiple TImes left it in the car when it's freezing! I have to cajole him to bring it in the first place (I, myself, take it whereever I go with DS). It's such a pain to get another script, go to the pharmacy, and pay the $30 copay! DH, Grrrr.

lablover
03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
My DH left our 2-pack in the car overnight a couple of months ago and I replaced them. Better safe than sorry.