PDA

View Full Version : PCOS help?

MamaMolly
03-06-2009, 09:14 AM
A friend from work was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I'd like to help her find some support. Can you tell me your favorite websites and chat groups? (I've tried searching here and got some pretty random stuff.)
She is currently getting treatment (a diabetes drug) from her OB. Having read a lot of threads here, I suggested that she needed to talk to a RE, too. But since I don't have that particular IF experience, I'm not really preaching from that mountain top, you know?
Any BTDT and support suggestions are deeply appreciated!
Thanks,

MelissaTC
03-06-2009, 09:22 AM
http://www.soulcysters.net

She should see an endocrinologist that specializes in PCOS or women's health. A RE will be helpful if she needs help to conceive. I am assuming she was put on glucophage/metformin which can be helpful for some (I definitely benefit from it but not all do). I would definitely have her start at soulcysters. It has a wealth of information and those ladies really know their stuff.

Octobermommy
03-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I second soulcysters.net

brittone2
03-06-2009, 11:15 AM
thirding soulcysters!

She should also consider a lowish carb diet, even if she's not overweight. Insulin resistance generally goes hand in hand with PCOS, and interventions like a low carb way of eating (even if the person is not overweight) and drugs like Metformin/Glucophage (traditionally used for diabetics) can be tremendously helpful.

She should definitely hunt around for a good RE if TTC, and if not, an endo w/ experience in diagnosing PCOS. There are still a lot of docs going out outdated info with respect to diagnosis and treatment of PCOS, so being a well-informed patient is key, IMO.

holisticnurse
03-07-2009, 04:38 AM
www.DrMirkin.com

He has done alot of research on PCOS & infertility. Highly recommend his info. He is very readable & interesting. There's a list of topics so there's something on there for everyone.