PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Dora the Explorer

mytwosons
03-06-2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-1146-Seattle-Eastside-Parenting-Examiners~y2009m3d5-Dora-the-Explorer-gets-a-sexy-new-makeover-Mattel-takes-it-too-far

or http://tinyurl.com/dlvjfv

A friend said it was on cnn this morning.

new_mommy25
03-06-2009, 02:47 PM
The second silhouette is Dora, right? I wish they weren't changing her because I think it will be confusing, but I don't really see anything terrible about the image. It kind of reminds me of Rainbow Brite.

jhrabosk
03-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Oh...that makes me so sad. My daughter LOVES Dora. I try to keep it to a minimum as I don't like any of the commercialized characters, but Dora is a fave.

AnnieW625
03-06-2009, 02:48 PM
I find this really odd and can't really see that any child over the age of 6 will actually watch this show. The article didn't really come out and say it but I bet Nick is losing A LOT of their 6-12 audience to Hannah Montana and are trying to re coup their losses.

My 3 year old loves Dora and I'd really hate to see the current Dora go good bye. I think that if Nick is smart they'll still keep the old Dora and have the older Dora on in the afternoon.

o_mom
03-06-2009, 03:08 PM
The second silhouette is Dora, right? I wish they weren't changing her because I think it will be confusing, but I don't really see anything terrible about the image. It kind of reminds me of Rainbow Brite.

Would that be the classic Rainbow Brite or the new one?

You can see them both in the header here: http://www.rainbowbrite.net/

I am not really happy with the Dora change. Why not have a character that actually looks like a preschooler? It is hard to say from just the silhouette, but she looks more grown up and sexualized to me.

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Is the show changing or is it just this toy? Either way I don't approve. I never thought Dora was even marketed to 6-12yo; it's a preschool show, right?

Beth

bubbaray
03-06-2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2009/03/06/am.costello.dora.teen.doll.cnn

I get the impression that "young" Dora will still be around and there will be an older Dora too?? Maybe I'm wrong in that.

s7714
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Personally I think it's jumping the gun a bit for anyone to get in such a tizzy about a doll they haven't even seen. I mean if you didn't see that silhouette next to a Bratz doll and weren't given the suggestion of association, would most people even make that connection when there's no face, clothing or actual details? I doubt it. My DDs have a Strawberry Shortcake doll that has a very similar silhouette and she looks absolutely nothing like a Bratz doll!

I'm not a big Dora fan anyway, but I'm not going to blacklist the new doll before even seeing it. The interactive aspect of it actually sounds kind of cool IMO for the tweenage crowd.

bubbaray
03-06-2009, 03:16 PM
The CNN reporter on the clip I linked to did see the doll and said it isn't trashy or sexualized, but does look older than the current Dora. The Nick rep says in the piece that they wanted to offer an alternative doll for moms who wanted their daughters to stay little girls for longer (ie., not into Bratz dolls). I'm TOTALLY in support of that. My DD#1 is really out of the Dora stage already, but we still watch the show/movies because DD#2 LOVES LOVES LOVES Dora. So, I'd sure like to have a doll that DD#1 will like for a while yet.

JMHO.

elektra
03-06-2009, 03:21 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2009/03/06/am.costello.dora.teen.doll.cnn

I get the impression that "young" Dora will still be around and there will be an older Dora too?? Maybe I'm wrong in that.

After watching this, it seems that they are just adding this doll to the line in an effort to reach the older kids or keep the kids that loved Dora as preschoolers. There was mention of some computer game integration with the doll too.
I don't think little/original Dora is going away based on this. Mattel would be crazy to ditch her I think. They make $$$ from all the Dora merchandise with the current Dora. I think they are just adding an alternative for older kids too.
My niece actually already has a mermaid Dora doll that IMO is sexier than what this sillouette appears to be.

brittone2
03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty anti-commercial character, personally. BUt I don't really see problem with her silhouette.

However, if the new show is going to turn Dora into a fashion-obsessed tween with a cell phone and tween/teen interests (like Hanna Montana in animated form), I think that's kind of yuck, personally. From the description it is hard to tell what the show's content will be like.

elektra
03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Also, by genereting this story and only releasing the sillouette, it's really creating a lot of buzz, huh? We are all talking about it. Could be a marketing tactic that seems to be working!

maestramommy
03-06-2009, 03:49 PM
If it's the 2nd silhouette, I don't see anything wrong with it. Just looks like Dora has long hair and is wearing a skirt instead of shorts. If they come out with the doll, I doubt my Dora will even recognize her. Well, we'll just stick to the DVDs we already have, and that'll be it

infocrazy
03-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty anti-commercial character, personally. BUt I don't really see problem with her silhouette.

However, if the new show is going to turn Dora into a fashion-obsessed tween with a cell phone and tween/teen interests (like Hanna Montana in animated form), I think that's kind of yuck, personally. From the description it is hard to tell what the show's content will be like.

:yeahthat:
DS1 likes Diego better because of the animals but I doubt he would like her at all if it morphed into a show at the mall...

maestramommy
03-06-2009, 04:23 PM
:yeahthat:
DS1 likes Diego better because of the animals but I doubt he would like her at all if it morphed into a show at the mall...

The current Dora has a lot of adventures and I'm kinda wondering how her new look will figure into that. I mean, isn't a skirt and long flowy hair a pain when you're trying to run and jump around, going on quests to rescue people and such?

bubbaray
03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
On the CNN clip, it says the doll is wearing leggings and a tunic. And platform shoes.... It also says she will be solving mysteries -- like a bilingual Nancy Drew I guess.

gatorsmom
03-06-2009, 11:50 PM
If it's the 2nd silhouette, I don't see anything wrong with it. Just looks like Dora has long hair and is wearing a skirt instead of shorts.

A very, very, short skirt.