PDA

View Full Version : help!! can't decide...BOB with carseat adapter?

mdmom2b
03-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi all,

We are expecting baby #1 in just about 7 weeks (yikes!) and have changed our mind a hundred times on strollers...the input here has been helpful but a few answers I can't find...

After trying out about a million, we thought we had settled on the Cortina travel system before hearing not so great things about the stroller, and DH's biggest fear is a bulky stroller. We thought then about the UppaBaby Vista but I don't like that the seat doesn't fully recline or sit fully upright. We were planning to probably get a Bob later as DH likes to run and would use it for jogging, but now we're thinking of getting the Bob Rev now and using it as our primary stroller with the carseat attachment for early. I would probably also get a Maclaren for an umbrella option. Does anyone have experience with the Bob with the carseat attachment? Does it fold fully?

We live in a city but do a ton of driving, so our stroller will be pulled in and out of the car alot and will be used for malls, walks outside on fairly good sidewalks, trips to the park, etc. I think the pregnancy is affecting my ability to make a decision...help!

GraceH
03-09-2009, 05:16 AM
I have personally considered Bobs a little large for regular in and out of car errand running -- as an urban errand-running/on-the-run mom myself, I have loved my Graco SafeSeat (SnugRide32) + Graco Mosaic stroller combo (think glorified umbrella stroller that takes a car seat for travel system).
If you're set on Chicco, you can get the similar effect with the keyFit30 + trevi stroller (I chose the Graco b/c the carseat went 2 inches longer and the total cost was less)

pastrygirl
03-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I used a BOB Rev with the car seat adapter, and loved it as my only stroller! I only used the infant seat for 3 months, and after that I removed the car seat adapter from the stroller. It folded just fine with the adapter. I live in the suburbs and never had a problem with it at the mall. Sometimes it felt a little big at the doctor's office, but it really wasn't much bigger than other full-featured strollers.

I switched to a lightweight stroller after a year, because I didn't feel that I needed a big stroller at that point. That started my stroller obsession... I've owned six over the past couple of years. I recently sold my BOB because I decided I wanted a reversible stroller for the new baby. But I really hesitated about selling it! I LOVED that stroller!

MontrealMum
03-09-2009, 12:21 PM
We have/had exactly the same setup you're considering: BOB Rev. w/carseat adaptor and Mac Quest.

DS was born last Aug. so we did not use the Mac until the following March/April because of the snow/weather up here (though we could have used it from 4 mos on). I was very happy to have the BOB with it's sturdy tires for the snow and ice up here when I was home with him every day last winter.

The BOB folds fine with the adaptor, and although we have used it in the car and for errands, and as our only vacation stroller, I probably would not choose it for my one and only - but that's just me - which is why we have the Mac as well. We are taking it in and out of a Corolla Wagon and (originally) a Jetta ( we now have a 2nd wagon). It fits fine in all three w/all wheels still on. With the wheels off it fits entirely in our Thule box too which is nice.

Kindra178
03-10-2009, 07:20 AM
I think the Bob is a GREAT idea. I live in the city, and have taken my Bob to the smallest boutiques and tightest restaurants. Because it maneuvers so well, it belies its size. In a year or two you may pick up a cheap umbrella stroller for travel, but for malls, zoo and everything else, the Bob Rev single is the BEST.

larig
03-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I too used the bob as our one and only stroller w/adapter for the first 6 months. It was fine for all the errands we ran where I wasn't going to be using a cart. It has been great to have for walks around the neighborhood (we do about 2 miles a day). When DS turned 6 months we stopped using the infant seat and just let him sit in the stroller. He is very comfortable, and it has great recline. I find that it folds up just fine with the adapter, and we've even left it on ours, because I will install the snack tray at some point (the seat adapter comes with a snack tray for later). The stroller itself fits easily in the trunk of our mid-sized car.

we recently got a mac triumph (since DS is out of the infant seat), and I took it to see my parents who live in another state--I really missed the bob when we went for a walk.

purpelina
03-11-2009, 10:35 PM
If you either drive or walk everywhere, BOB is a good stroller. You might consider BOB 12 - same bob revolution stroller with smaller wheels in the back (12 inch - hence the name). But if you DH is a serious runner, you should get the original Bob. Light jogging with Bob 12 is fine.
If you relay (sometimes) on public transportation, especially busses, bob is mainly out of question, unless you can choose when to take the subway, and KNOW for sure it won't be crowded.
But you can always find use for a bob later on, when child gets older and heavier.
Only thing: you can't remove fabric to wash it, and the top of stroller is sort of "boxed in" so taller children might not have enough space. But that too far away from you still :) Another concern with bob, that some children don't like "sling type" seat, even though new models have a tad more padding there. But you can never know this until you put your baby i it and take a sample stroll...
When folded, it's hard to store, because it doesn't stay shut, takes up a lot of room, (kind of like a broken chaise-long :)) but if you have a garage to keep it there without folding - great! It's also lightweight, and amazingly easy to steer.

Sorry if I confused you even more. :) Bob is a wonderfull stroller, and usually everybody loves it, it just has it's (few) drawbacks, which might not be a big deal for you. Plus, bob has excellent resale value.

AnnieW625
03-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Friends of ours have a MAC Techno XLR, and a Bob Revolution and they love their Bob so much that it's almost their only stroller. Both parents are runners and run an average of 5 miles with their Bob with no issues, and even ran with their car seat adaptor for it.

mdmom2b
03-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the help! I know most people love their Bob Revs...I have the same concerns as some people though, that although it steers so well it seems a little big for everyday. Does anyone know how the Bob compares to the Bumbleride Indie? The Indie is a bit smaller....i swear i'm making myself crazy--we keep double guessing ourselves!:dizzy:

elektra
03-13-2009, 11:36 PM
I think if your husband is really going to jog with it, I would go with the BOB over the Bumbleride indie. And then have you thought about maybe just getting the chicco car seat with the maclaren easy traveller frame for quick and and out of the car trips?
I just got the BOB Duallie and I'm looking forward to using the BOB.
I won't get into all my other strollers as it will only confuse you. ;)

mdmom2b
03-15-2009, 12:49 PM
We went yesterday and tried out the Bumblerides...you're right, I like the Bob over the Indie, but I actually really like the Flyer and think this might be our everyday stroller and we'll get the Bob when baby is a little older and we have more space...unfortunately no one has the 2009 flyer to try out yet!