PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to DL--just one parent and child?

smkinc
03-08-2009, 05:30 PM
With the great deals on Disney, I'd like to take DS, 6. DH is getting busy at work and hurt his back so can't go on many of the rides anyway. I'm thinking we'd stay for 5-6 days.

Worth it, or would we be waiting in lines too much (vs having another adult who could go do fastpass, etc)?

TIA!

s7714
03-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I think it's totally doable with one 6 year old! In fact, I'd find it less stressful going alone with a DC vs. having DH along, but of course YMMV depending on your own DH. ;)

egoldber
03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
When Sarah was 4, the three of us went to WDW, but DH had a business trip to Tampa in the middle of it. So Sarah and I were alone at WDW for about 4 days. Honestly, it was the BEST. We loved being alone together, doing just what we wanted to do, etc. With an older child like that, it is so easy and fun. :)

I think 5-6 days is a long time at DL though.

bubbaray
03-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I could totally do DL with one older child and one parent. My DH won't do rides (he pukes), so it will be me and both girls on the rides (DD#2 is only 2, though, so there aren't many she can do). We got 3-day parkhopper passes on the recommendation of our travel agent. She said for esp. DD#2, any longer would be a waste. I wanted 5-day parkhoppers, but we are doing a 3-day PH and travel days on either side (will arrive at LAX at noon on Saturday, will leave LAX at 6pm on Wednesday).

We actually didn't think the prices are better this year. FYI, lots of things aren't happening at DL until the summer due to cutbacks. For example, the parade is cut back/cancelled due to renos, the fireworks are only 2 nights a week, some shows are closed.

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Ye, I think you could totally do it and have a blast. Go for it!

Beth

JTsMom
03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Corie
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I think it would be awesome!!!

My DH always says that he would like to take our daughter to Disney
for a long weekend. He would do better than I would. I tend to
stress when traveling. DH is super fun and crazy and spontaneous.
I could probably hear my DH and DD laughing all the way back home. :)

smkinc
03-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all the info. Especially that 3 days is plenty, I think we'll travel on either side. Is there anyway to know in advance when fireworks are, etc?

s7714
03-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all the info. Especially that 3 days is plenty, I think we'll travel on either side. Is there anyway to know in advance when fireworks are, etc?

Just go to the Disneyland site and see what's scheduled for the days you'll be there. It'll list the show times, things that will be closed. They do change depending on what's going on last minute at the park, but it'll at least give you a general idea!
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/daily/daily?name=CalendarDailyPage

ETA: I think they only show the schedule for up to about two(?) months in advance, so if you're not going until summer you might have to wait a bit.

AnnieW625
03-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I could totally do DL with one older child and one parent. My DH won't do rides (he pukes), so it will be me and both girls on the rides (DD#2 is only 2, though, so there aren't many she can do). We got 3-day parkhopper passes on the recommendation of our travel agent. She said for esp. DD#2, any longer would be a waste. I wanted 5-day parkhoppers, but we are doing a 3-day PH and travel days on either side (will arrive at LAX at noon on Saturday, will leave LAX at 6pm on Wednesday).

We actually didn't think the prices are better this year. FYI, lots of things aren't happening at DL until the summer due to cutbacks. For example, the parade is cut back/cancelled due to renos, the fireworks are only 2 nights a week, some shows are closed.

Actually kind of happy about all of the cutbacks because it will be less crowded when us locals like to go....he he. The park hours are reduced too, the other night it was closing at 8pm. Last year when we first went at this time park hours were open until 11 pm. The fireworks are great, but they are REALLY loud, we live 15 miles from Disneyland (we are straight shot west) and would hear them everynight at 9:30 pm.

Back to original question, yes I think you could do DL with a single child by yourself. I did it with DD (2/1/2 then) back in November and we stayed for 6 hours without a problem. I would actually take Bubbaray's advice and only go for three days with park hopper passes. Honestly you can see most of regular DL in two days, and California Adventure in a day, and right now it's starting to get renovated so some stuff is closed.