PDA

View Full Version : Egg crate in crib? (or something else)

julymommy
03-08-2009, 10:16 PM
We are trying to transition DS to his crib (8 months). He refuses to sleep in it. I can lay him down on our bed (pillow top) and he will fall asleep, but when I lay him down in his crib he screams bloody murder. I realize there are a lot of factors, but do you think his crib mattress might be one? We chose a super super firm one for safety, but do you think he is used to our softer mattress and doesn't find his firm one comfy? Can you put an egg crate or something in a crib. Obviously my first concern is safety.

WatchingThemGrow
03-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't think that is safe.

wellyes
03-08-2009, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't. And I doubt that the mattress being too hard is the issue. Babies love parents' beds not because the beds are soft but because you're there and/or because it's familiar and/or because it smells like you. If he's never slept in his crib consistently, it is a real struggle to transition him to it. We went through the exact same thing at 8 months. It's not easy - good luck!

tarabenet
03-09-2009, 12:09 AM
I'd get a FleeceBaby (or similar) sheet for his crib, so it isn't a cold shock. As soon as it arrives, wash it, and then sleep with it. Your baby will be soothed by the smell. It still won't make him love his crib right away, but it may ease the transition. Anything is worth a try, right?

infomama
03-09-2009, 12:22 AM
I'd get a FleeceBaby (or similar) sheet for his crib, so it isn't a cold shock. As soon as it arrives, wash it, and then sleep with it. Your baby will be soothed by the smell. It still won't make him love his crib right away, but it may ease the transition. Anything is worth a try, right?

I was going to suggest trying another sheet as well. I think that DD sleeps better on her Fleecebaby sheet versus the cotton Lands End sheets for some reason.

maestramommy
03-09-2009, 07:54 AM
You might also sleep with the sheet in your bed for a week. That way it'll have your smell on it when you try to put him in the crib.

Melaine
03-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I would try a lovey, and a sleep sack and just work your way through it. I think it's normal for that to be a difficult transition, it will probably just take some time. They sometimes have those super soft sheets at Ross/Marshalls/TJMaxx. Good luck!

DrSally
03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I don't think it's the crib mattress, and I wouldn't put an egg crate down. It just takes them time to sleep somewhere new. DD does not like her crib and much prefers to sleep in a semi-upright position in her bassinet, but she's too big now.

julymommy
03-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks- I figured it was probably something else- just wishful thinking that it could be the mattress. Also thought the egg crate thing would be unsafe - but thought I'd run it by people first.

I'll look for the other sheets and give them a go - and then just be patient.

ahrimie
03-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah, like the pp's said.. I bet it's the smell and familiarity of your bed at this point. Try a lovey and also sleeping with his crib sheets (also sleep with the lovey for a day or two to get your scent). If you are nursing, I would use the lovey while nursing and wipe your boobie when done with it. It's just enough to get your scent on it without smelling like spoiled milk later :)