PDA

View Full Version : 1 loose stool a day...would you send DD to babysitter/daycare?

HIU8
03-08-2009, 10:17 PM
DS and DD spent saturday having diahrea. It ended saturday evening. Neither DS nor DD had any diahrea today. Then tonight DD had a huge loose stool (TMI but it was gooey and light brown). I need to work tomorrow and I want to send her to the babysitter. Does one loose stool a day constitute a reason for keeping her home?

bubbaray
03-08-2009, 10:20 PM
depends what you consider loose -- water or still formed, but mushy??

Our daycare has a 24hr rule. They are quite strict on it.

Momof3Labs
03-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I'd honestly ask her babysitter if it is okay to send her. You would be mad if another child were snuck in with diarrhea and your child got sick. If it were the only occurrence, I'd blame it on something that she ate, but after both kids having it all day Saturday, I'd be more inclined to blame it on a bug (or mild food poisoning, I guess). Anyways, let the sitter make the call, and if she says yes, you can send your DD with a clear conscience.

HIU8
03-08-2009, 10:23 PM
complete mush. No form, but not watery. The issue is that DD can have this go on for weeks (she just started with a babysitter since I went back to work PT). Plus, it happens only at night. I may call the sitter tomorrow before we go, and see how DD does overnight.

Clarity
03-08-2009, 10:27 PM
If she's feeling fine, I'd send her. I'd give her a banana and some yogurt first but I'd send her.

HIU8
03-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I've been avoiding all dairy products since saturday with her. I have been giving her bananas and pedialyte as well as applesauce. I have to see if anything happens overnight I think. She is acting fine though.

ha98ed14
03-09-2009, 12:19 AM
FWIW, I have sent DD to the babysitters after having a loose BM a few times. And DD has had a loose BM at the babysitters that she had to change once. Each was isolated incidents and not connected to vomiting or fever. I think you can send her as long as she has good diapers (reduce the leak possibility) and no fever or vomiting. As for the idea of another child getting sick, if it is just loose BM, I don't think the other kids are at risk because DCP is washing her hands after diaper changes (hopefully!) and DD is wearing clothes. Put her in a onesie so she cannot get her hands down her pants. That's what I would do. I understand about needing to work.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Why do you think you have the LS? It sounds like it could be something you ate. If so I would definitely send my child. The biggest issue is if it is contagious. FYI- I recently read that 25% of diarrhea is caused by some form of food poisoning.