PDA

View Full Version : what to do for five days in hospital?

justincase
03-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Possibly naive question:
When DS was born, DH took the whole week off from work and roomed in with us for the 5 days that we were in the hospital, sleeping in the extra bed in the room. Although the whole thing is a blur to me, I do remember that it was nice having him there. This time around he has DS to take care of and his work situation is very different (whose isn't) and I anticipate being there alone most of the week. Besides the obvious: sleep, bond with DD, listen to iPod, deal with milk coming in... What should I bring to actually do? Although I am usually a voracious reader, I remember not being able to hold my place on the page last time. I'm not a knitter or crocheter. Am I right to think that I am going to be bored? Or is that silly?

TonFirst
03-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I tell you what - I wondered this same thing before I went in for my second delivery (scheduled c-section). I brought books, needlepoint, my iPod - and I didn't touch a thing. Part of it is because this time around, I actually had access to my baby (my son spent a few days in the NICU following an emergency c-section and a failed induction - good times!), and partly because I was learning to nurse again (it's amazing how much you forget, plus, even though *you* know how to nurse, the baby doesn't), dealing with a tongue-tie, dealing with visitors at different times of the day, visiting and playing with my son, dealing with incredible nausea (I couldn't keep toast down until day 3 post-surgery), and dealing with all the doctors and nurses that are always in and out.

In the end, I was so busy that I tried to keep every free minute I had (and as I said above, there weren't many) for sleep! Good luck!

bubbaray
03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I thought I would be bored with my scheduled c/s, but not so much. Too busy, too tired. I *did* have DH get the TV service for the room.

KrisM
03-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Do you know you have to stay so long? Personally, I'd try to not be there that long :). I was bored by day 2 because DH and my mom were with my kids and everyone else had to work. I wanted DH to help me at home and so left the hospital just past 24 hours and much prefered that. I took it easy at home, but enjoyed being there with the other kids much more than in the hospital. Plus, it's really hard to have the kids visit in the hospital. They get bored in about 5 minutes.

ThreeofUs
03-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I did get to read a few pages, but not many, and I didn't even have visitors (besides DH and DS1). Honestly, the baby bonding, nursing, sleeping and walking became my priorities.

egoldber
03-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I think 5 days is a really long time. With an uncomplicated delivery (even a c-section) they typically offer discharge after 2-3 days.

justincase
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I think 5 days is a really long time. With an uncomplicated delivery (even a c-section) they typically offer discharge after 2-3 days.

Hmmm, no one ever said anything like that to me last time, and I guess I didn't know enough to ask. Seems like 5 days is the standard around here for cs. I will bring it up tomorrow at my next appt. Although, to tell you the truth, I felt like I needed every second of that time last time, and with DS waiting at home, I might feel the same again. I am not normally a wimp but was really out of commission.

TonFirst
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I am firmly in the "Take Every Blessed Day You Can In The Hospital" camp. Seriously, the post-surgery nausea was debilitating, and by the time I was over that, my milk came in, and I had to teach my baby how to nurse (and deal with the aforementioned tongue-tie). By the time we figured that out, it was time to go home! 5 days *flew* by for me.

egoldber
03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
I hate hospitals and am not able to rest or sleep there. I am a terrible patient ;) and prefer my own bed. With Sarah I asked to be discharged at 48 hours and they said OK at 72. I know lots and lots of c-section moms (especially second time moms) who go home after 48-72 hours.

With Leah and Amy they were in the NICU so I stayed the whole time. But both times I was offered discharge at 72 hours.

daniele_ut
03-09-2009, 11:52 AM

At both hospitals I've delivered at the standard stay is 72-96 hours post delivery. With dd1 I went home after 3 nights, with ds I stayed for 4 nights after delivery but ds was stuck in the NICU for 3 weeks. I would have stayed longer if they'd let me. With dd they would have discharged me after the 3rd night after delivery, but I knew that the hospital was going to be quieter than my home so I stayed the extra night.

With ds I was never bored because we were back and forth to the NICU all the time. With dd2 I napped a LOT, but there were a few moments where I wished dh could have been there more often.

egoldber
03-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Ah, I think I see part of my confusion. By 5 days people are including the day of delivery? The law says insurance must cover a hospital stay after a c-section of up to 96 hours after delivery, so 4 nights.

So Sarah was born on Tuesday afternoon, and I went home on Friday afternoon, 4 days, 3 nights. :) I could have stayed until Saturday but I was begging to go home.

elephantmeg
03-09-2009, 12:06 PM
I was out at exactly 48 hours with DD, a little over 48 hours with DS (11 pm c-section Monday/discharged Thursday lunchtime). They offered to let me go home Wed am with DS and I about died. I cried-I was not ready to go home!

niccig
03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Take some magazines, trashy gossipy ones. Watch some TV. I was only in for 2 nights with DS and one of those nights was the labour. I was begging to go home as the bed was uncomfortable. Last year I had surgery and stayed 24 hours. I read, I watched some TV, I slept during the day as I didn't get much sleep at night. I know they needed to check my vitals etc, but once I'm woken I have a difficult time sleeping.

maestramommy
03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
At this point I'm ready to snatch every free minute for sleep or reading. So I'm bringing earplugs with me to the hospital.

sidmand
03-09-2009, 02:43 PM
I hate hospitals and am not able to rest or sleep there. I am a terrible patient ;) and prefer my own bed. With Sarah I asked to be discharged at 48 hours and they said OK at 72. I know lots and lots of c-section moms (especially second time moms) who go home after 48-72 hours.

I actually hoped to go home earlier this time. Like Beth said, I was a second-time mom. DH was home with DS more than at the hospital. But based on some problems last time, they said I could go home early, but they would really suggest that I stay the whole time. After I thought a bit, I realized if I went home, I would probably try to do too much (part of the problem last time although only a minor part of it) and it was kind of nice to have the time with just me and DD. I think I brought a book but I honestly don't remember much of the time! I know I did stay the whole five days though. And I was ready to go home then. But I'm glad I stayed.

Momof3Labs
03-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I was in for a week after DS2 due to a separated pelvis and unexplained fever. My mom and DH took turns staying with me. We watched TV (they had a vcr, too, I think) and I messed around on the internet (wireless was offered in the hospital). DH found some magazines for me to flip through, but I couldn't have focused on a book.

lisams
03-09-2009, 03:14 PM

With Leah and Amy they were in the NICU so I stayed the whole time. But both times I was offered discharge at 72 hours.

I think they tend to let experienced moms go home sooner. With my second they let me go at 24 hours and I was so ready to be outta there! I cannot sleep at all in those beds and with nurses coming in through the night.

KrisM
03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I've had 3 c/s. The 3rd was planned. First time, I was there just over 48 hours after DS1 was born. Second time, I was there about 42 hours after DD was born. Third time, I was there 30 hours after DS2 was born. That time I would have left closer to 24, but he was born at 4:30am, and I left in the late morning.

For me, the key is getting out of bed and getting the IV and cath out early. With DS2, I was free of tubes at 12 hours and I spent the rest of the evening in the rocker and moving, slowly, around my room. By morning, I was ready to go!

srhs
03-09-2009, 03:44 PM
1 word: wifi
All of our hospitals have free wifi. If you don't have a laptop, see if someone can lend you one. You can send out photos of the baby too. :)

Nooknookmom
03-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I didn't have time to be bored either. I brought books/mag's, etc. to keep me busy, but I hardly touched them. DH had to work and all my family is back East, so all everything fell on me to take care of.

DD cried all the time due to undiagnosed allergies & reflux + add to that a difficult C-section/recovery and I was very busy. I was lucky to get 20 min for a nap.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Did I mention I'm firmly in the stay for the whole thing camp? But all kidding aside-you're going to have another little one to care for when you get home and that's going to make things trickier this time around. It's also going to make it more demanding on you physically.

Take the time at the hospital to rest,if you feel that your getting too much "attention" let the nurse know. When I had ds and dd2 I had the option of putting a sign on my door that said "mom's napping, please come back later". If you tell the nurses to leave you alone they generally will as long as it's not the first 24 hours after delivery when they have to check on you every 30 minutes.

Frankly-I would have enjoyed and extra day or two in the hospital before I came home but that's just me.

as far as what to do is concerned-Take a book or two, you might also consider taking some movies that you would like to watch but haven't had the chance too. My hospital didn't really have cable so the television was boring but I had my hands full with nursing and changing diapers too much to read anything, the movies were a perfect fit. I'd say red box at the grocery store is your friend.

I also like the pp's idea of wifi if you can do it. Good luck and i hope everything goes well for you.

justincase
03-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Did I mention I'm firmly in the stay for the whole thing camp? But all kidding aside-you're going to have another little one to care for when you get home and that's going to make things trickier this time around. It's also going to make it more demanding on you physically.

Yeah, this is me. I know that once I am home in my own house I am INCAPABLE of not overdoing it. I can sleep anywhere, anytime (except, ironically, in my own bed right now) and quickly fall back asleep after interruptions. I loved the hospital bed so much last time I was joking with DH that I wanted to start saving for a Craftmatic! :) And I am a great patient -- have a nurse stick her head in to adjust my blankets or bring me a glass of water and I purr like a kitten.

I know I'll be napping / resting / relearning BF most of the time but just remember time spent lazily chatting with DH that won't happen this time around. Movies are a great idea and I can watch DVD's on my laptop. And I hadn't even thought about wireless internet -- just think, I can write inane threads to you all from my bed! :)

ahrimie
03-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I would just REST!! :) And take your laptop.... it kept me sane when I was done napping and had nothing else to do.

lpl47
03-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Yes, bring your laptop! My hospital has free wireless and BBB is a fun distraction!