PDA

View Full Version : Buying used furniture

BrookesMom
03-09-2009, 09:51 AM
We're thinking about buying used nursery furniture from Craigslist. I've found two sets that I'm considering, one is a Ragazzi crib with dresser and hutch and one is a Madison Lifetime Convertible Crib by Jardine Enterprises with a dresser. I've done a websearch and as far as I can tell neither have been recalled, but I have learned about Ragazzi being bought out by Storkcraft. I'm wondering whether buying used is a good idea or not, and if one of these brands is better than the other.

HIU8
03-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I have no idea about these brands, but if you are not comfortable buying used from Craigslist you can always see about a discount on a floor model at a store like Buy Buy Baby or Great Beginnings. When we bought our crib we bought a Sorelle that was only $219 at the time and it was new from Great Beginnings. My friend managed to get a discontinued Pali that retailed for $600 as a floor model from Great Beginnings. I believe she paid about $200 for it. Just a thought...

k_null81
03-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm constantly checking craigslist for nursery furniture! Haven't had any luck yet though. But I believe Ragazzi was a good brand before being bought out. Which if it's on CL then it's probably furniture from before the buy out. I don't think Jardine is as good as Ragazzi. I believe Jardine is carried at Babies r Us where Ragazzi is carried at local baby boutique's.

I'm know expert on baby furniture by any means but have been looking at furniture for severals months now so I have picked up info on the way. These boards have been a huge source of the info I have gathered from lurking for months!

Good Luck on your search! I'm hoping to score a higher end brand on CL one of these days. I only have a couple more months to find something or I will need to order furniture from some where.

Happy 2B mommy
03-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Ragazzi was a top-quality brand and pretty expensive - BUT it may be hard to get replacement parts. For things like a dresser or changing table it's probably not a big deal, but could be tough for moving parts on the crib. I think I'd call the company that bought them out and find out what the policy is on replacement parts and if they even have replacement parts for the model you're considering.

I got a new crib and mattress, but everything else I got 2nd hand and haven't had a problem with any of it. If I could have found a decent crib 2nd hand, I probably would have taken a chance on that as well. Just get a new mattress, even if the crib comes with a mattress. Some think used mattresses increase the risk of SIDS.

Bess
03-19-2009, 08:29 AM
If you know your stuff - brand quality, recall status, company status (ie, still in business so you can get manuals & parts if necessary) - I think used can be a great way to go.

Craigslist didn't pan out for us but we have a local consignment shop that we use heavily, both to buy & sell. They research everything they sell for recalls and won't accept anything that doesn't meet current safety and hygiene standards, or that is subject to recall. (We still use our own judgment, too, of course.) There might be such a store in your area.

I always download and read the manual for any used item I buy, to make sure it was assembled properly (if applicable) and that I know how to use it properly & safely. I also check for recalls on my own. And there are some things I'll buy used, and some things I won't.