PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Kelly or Kelley? for irish boy - 1st name

neeleymartin
03-09-2009, 03:35 PM
we are using the name kelly/ey for those that saw my recent post.

we initially were going with the "kelley" spelling, but changed to "kelly" when we heard that the "ey" spelling is in fact more english. i didn't know this and not sure if it's true. also, we bought wooden letters at walmart and they were one "e" shy, felt like divine providence to me.

we are now contemplating again. fwiw, middle name will be thomas and big bro is murphy patrick. husband thinks that "kelly" is more girl and "kelley" is more boy. would love your thoughts and opinions. tia

daniele_ut
03-09-2009, 03:47 PM
The traditional Irish spelling is Kelly. If you are going for tradition, I'd choose that, but if you like the other spelling better, there's nothing wrong with choosing that one.

Octobermommy
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Kelly is a girl name to me. I would do Kelley for a boy.

pinkmomagain
03-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I agree with your dh.

specialp
03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
From an Irish Catholic priest I know, Kelly = Irish, Kelley = English.

amandabea
03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I say Kelly without the extra 'e'. All the Irish Kellies (pl?) I've ever known (boy and girl) were spelled that way.

wellyes
03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I like Kelly as a boy's name! But you know he will have to deal with a little confusion about that as he grows up...... I think using the unconventional "-ey" spelling will just add to the trouble.

Happy 2B mommy
03-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I dated a Kelly and he did have to deal with people assuming he was a she based on the name. Regardless, I think Kelly w/o the "e" is much better.

arivecchi
03-09-2009, 11:21 PM
I like Kelley. Cool spelling and less girlish than Kelly. Whichever spelling you choose, great name!

skygoddess
03-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Kelley with an "e" seems more girl-like to me, so I would go with Kelly. JMHO.

jacksmomtobe
03-10-2009, 08:12 AM
I would go with the Kelley as I think it is different and maybe would help indicate/draw some attention to the fact that it isn't the girl's name and help people with the confusion of it being a boy's name. I think the traditional spelling would make people more likely to assume your child is a girl without thinking about it.

JBaxter
03-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I would go with Kelly. Its a more common spelling and all the boys I know are Kelly the girls have been Kelli.

Im Gina spelled Jeana. I have to spell my name to everyone. I tried to pick common spellings for my boys

TraciG
03-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I like Kelley, the other spelling look's to much like a girl name.