PDA

View Full Version : Need double stroller for HEAVY 2 year old and infant

Happy 2B mommy
03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
My DD will be 2 1/2 when DC2 arrives. she is a BIG kid - 38 inches and 39 pounds. I would like recommendations on a double stroller that will hold her and that will accomendate an infant (complete recline or holds a carseat)

I don't go to the mall often, I'd be using this mostly for walks outside. Currently I use a Kolcraft Jeep all terrain and I really like it (and loved the price) with the exception of the canopy, which doesn't have the best coverage -esp for a newborn. I don't run or jog with it. However, our neighborhood does not have sidewalks and narrow roads have gravel shoulders or I take it on the grass.

While I'd like to be economical, DH and I realize a good quality double that will hold a 40 pound 2 year old will cost more. Any recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks

maylips
03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Bumping because I would like to also hear suggestions.

WatchingThemGrow
03-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Our Baby Jogger City Elite Double has a high weight limit as well as a tall canopy, air tires and a newborn-appropriate recline. It really is great. AlbeeBaby and Happy Mothers have the double from last year on sale, making it somewhat more affordable. http://shop.happymothers.com/shop/prd_BJ68093_City%20Elite%20Double%20Jogging%20Stro ller%20in%20Red.html?e3=search

I guess the classic is built the same, but I don't have experience with that one. It pushes well when loaded down.

elektra
03-10-2009, 04:01 PM
For mostly walks outside I would go with either a BJCE(S)D or the BOB Duallie.
The BJ will recline flatter and have a bit taller seat backs. The fold is also great. It is more expensive (at least the 2009 model with the suspension is).
The BOB has the bigger rear wheels and handles better. It's also a tad wider and longer but since I also will be using it mostly around the neighborhood that didn't matter too much to me and it does still work indoors, fits through doorways, etc. You can also jog with it if you wanted to. It is cheaper than the BJ but will probably have better resale value if that is important to you.
I ended up going with the BOB for what will be my 26 mo and newborn. I did see a few of these on CL too but ended up buying a new one. I probably won't even use it until the little one is a month old or so though. (The instructions say not to use before 8 weeks.)

WatchingThemGrow
03-10-2009, 04:27 PM
For mostly walks outside I would go with either a BJCE(S)D or the BOB Duallie.
The BJ will recline flatter and have a bit taller seat backs. The fold is also great. It is more expensive (at least the 2009 model with the suspension is).
The BOB has the bigger rear wheels and handles better. It's also a tad wider and longer but since I also will be using it mostly around the neighborhood that didn't matter too much to me and it does still work indoors, fits through doorways, etc. You can also jog with it if you wanted to. It is cheaper than the BJ but will probably have better resale value if that is important to you.
I ended up going with the BOB for what will be my 26 mo and newborn. I did see a few of these on CL too but ended up buying a new one. I probably won't even use it until the little one is a month old or so though. (The instructions say not to use before 8 weeks.)

You can get a BOB Rev. Duallie on sale right now at REI.

The BJCED for 2008 DOES have suspension. The 2008 single didn't, so they added in 2009, but the double from last year does. go figure. We have it and it definitely does. I've found it very adequate as my only double - well, up until I was 6 mos pg with #3 and DD refuses to walk 1/2 the time. Granted...she's only 2, so I can't blame her.

Our baby slid down in the BOB seat with a snuzzler, so we had to use the carseat adapter with it until we sold it to a friend and our BJCED arrived. It IS a great stroller as well, but it just didn't fit into our CR-V without having to remove the front wheel. The BJ's fold was much easier for in/out of the car. We don't have a garage to keep a walking stroller set up...