PDA

View Full Version : Southeastern PA or Northern DE school info please

jawilli4
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Aahh! I am so very confused and depressed. Short background info - we have to move again (three times in four years with kids, a lot more BC) to the Wilmington, DE area. The tax implications, school systems, and mushroom houses are a lot to process. Can anyone please offer any information about where we should live and why? We found a house we like in the Avon Grove School District. By chance does anyone know anything about those schools? Or any other that has a decent commute to Wilmington and Southern NJ?

I really appreciate anyone's help.
Jan

StantonHyde
03-09-2009, 05:17 PM
You want Unionville School District--but it is pricey to live there. From around Kennett Square, it is a 30 minute commute into Wilmington. I don't remember the Kennet Schools being as good as Unionville but that may have changed in 13 years! I think the Delaware school districts around Wilmington are very good--but not sure. YOu really don't want to live near the mushroom houses--Avon Grove etc. The stench in summer is overwhelming. Delaware is nice because no sales tax but it is a very fluid border between PA and DE there.

mmaimp
03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I live in Wilmington. We choose private school for our oldest son. We live in one of the best school districts but the worst feeder pattern. There is Choice here but I didn't want to deal with it so we went private. Property taxes are low so the schools don't get lots of funding. We also don't have sales tax.

I would look in Hockessin or Pike Creek for a home if you want to look in Delaware. Pennsylvania is a good option but the property taxes are higher and Delaware income tax is high so you can get hit twice. You need to look around and see what kind of school you want for your child(ren) and the area you would like the most.

If you want newer construction PA might be better. DE has some really nice old homes. You can PM me if you need more info or have more questions.

Jen841
03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Stay away from the mushroom houses! They really stink. DH's co-workers go months without being able to open their windows. I hear the schools are not very good down there. We are a bit north in Chester County PA. West Chester, Downingtown,... all have good schools if you want to come this far.

Wilmington is a nice area. I was down at the train station a few weeks ago thinking we could have lived here.

jawilli4
03-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all of your responses, I value all of them. Thanks for letting me know about mushroom houses in the summer. DH found a house he loved in Avondale with a great view of one and was mad I wouldn't go for it. Now I have more ammunition to use against him. The house we like is by the state park and it doesn't seem like there could be mushroom houses nearby, however we'll have to scope out the area or ask a neighbor to make sure we don't have any surprises in store for us. We'll have to look into houses in Unionville/Chadds Ford and West Chester, although so far we have been unimpressed with what we can afford to buy there. Thanks also for confirming that Delaware might not be the best option, considering the high income tax rate and wanting to put the kids in public schools. I still feel overwhelmed for so many reasons, but it is great to know that I can post here and get great information and support. Thanks!

maydaymommy
03-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I live in Chester County also (in West Chester closer to Exton). Most of the school systems right around West Chester are pretty good (W Chester, Downingtown, Great Valley). You would probably want to be a little further south to be closer to Wilmington.

In that case, you could consider Unionville-Chadd's Ford Schools as well as Garnet Valley. They are both on the PA side, and Garnet Valley has an excellent reputation, as does Unionville-Chadd's Ford as the other posters mentioned. I think that there is even more new construction in the Garnet Valley district and it is definitely an "up and comer." I was out over the weekend with a friend who is an elementary teacher there and he thinks they do a good job.

I don't know anything about Wilmington schools other than that the JCC has an excellent preschool and infant daycare, and I have known several people who went through Wilmington Friends school. There are some great parks and libraries in Wilmington. I used to travel 40 minutes to go to a small dog park there!

Good luck!

StantonHyde
03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Just to put you a bit at ease. It is a very nice area. I moved to be out west and backpack--prekids, of course :wink2: I think for families it is very nice if you are used to east coast/larger metropolitan area type of living.