PDA

View Full Version : is the inglesina zippy too bulky for public transportation?

sylviaetc
03-10-2009, 04:08 AM
i have seizures so most of my traveling is done with my husband as my designated driver, but i would love to travel with my new baby on my own sometimes which means i will have to take public transportation. so my question is, anyone out there think the inglesina zippy is too bulky for public transportation?

thanks

Kindra178
03-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Elevator or stair access? It's a bit heavy to navigate on stairs with a baby slung to you, but you can do it. Everyone in NYC seems to have the Mac, which cuts off a few pounds. In Chicago, I have taken my Bob on the el but only where there is new elevator access on the redone stations. And I did 34 weeks plus pregnant with twins too!

sylviaetc
03-14-2009, 09:44 PM
thanx for the info kindra. i wonder if the zippy would fit on a bus as well...

lefarrell
03-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I live in Rome, Italy and have used the 2008 Zippy on the bus, metro and train. It fit just fine through the doors, even when most buses have a middle pole in the way. I've never traveled with it by myself, because I only used it a few times. Personally it wasn't comfortable for me, and my little one didn't like facing away from me, so I ended up getting a different stroller, but it did fit on public transportation, which is why I bought it (site unseen over the internet, not something I recommend!) If there are no elevators, and you have to go up and down stairs, I prefer a stroller with big back wheels to pull up or lower down the steps one by one with my DS in the stroller as opposed to trying to carry both of them, but the big wheels don't fit on the bus here because of that middle bar I mentioned. Don't know about the states, you might want to take a tape measure on a bus to check the door opening.

sylviaetc
03-19-2009, 11:20 PM
thanx for the input! btw: can you go into detail as to why it wasn't comfortable for you? was it the height of the handles or what?

thanx

lefarrell
03-27-2009, 01:36 AM
thanx for the input! btw: can you go into detail as to why it wasn't comfortable for you? was it the height of the handles or what?

thanx

Since my son didn't like facing away from me (and on crowded PT I didn't care for it either) I started using a Bugaboo Frog and became spoiled by its easy push. When I tried going back to the Zippy to use just on the bus it felt like a tank to push, I mean I felt like I had to put a lot of work into pushing the stroller, where my Frog just glides along. It was also more cumbersome up and down curbs, and felt kind of rickety on the streets I deal with. I am only 5'6", but also found myself kicking the back of the Zippy, so I would have to shorten my stride to avoid this, which wasn't comfortable. Finally the handle height was also uncomfortable for me, and I've since found I prefer a single handle bar.

You might want to consider a Bugaboo Bee. Several friends have them now in Rome, and at only 20" wide all forms of PT are no problem. From the little I've played with one, (pushing my friends daughter) it seems to have the same easy push as the Frog, reversible seat option, huge undercarriage storage that is easy to access, I don't find myself kicking the back, the handle height is adjustable and the sun canopy has great coverage. I'd like one myself but my husband says I have to sell the Zippy first!