PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks...

sarahsthreads
03-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm in need of a new backpack for DD1 - she's really too big for her Stephen Joseph quilted backpack. Since she's going to need a new bag for K in the fall anyway, I thought I'd just get her one now. I'm leaning toward the L.L. Bean Jr., but from talking to the K moms I know it needs to fit a folder, a snack, her lunch and, in the winter, snowpants.

Is all of that going to fit in the Jr.? And then fit on a 41" tall, 36 pound 4 year old?

Also, I have a couple of different Bento style boxes that I'll be using to pack her lunch in, but they'll need to be in an insulated container of some sort. Is the $12.50 L.L. Bean soft lunch box a reasonably smallish one that will actually fit in the bag along with everything else?

Finally, does anyone have the pink? DD1 is waffling between that and the lime flower print - I'll try to encourage her to get the print if the pink is going to look dirty fast. Will it?

Thanks!
Sarah :)

bubbaray
03-10-2009, 10:29 AM
My girls have the blue flower print and the lime flower print -- they are the CUTEST packs ever. Seriously.

I think you could fit everything in there. The pants might be iffy -- why not buy a cheap extra pair at Target and just keep them at school for the winter??? That's what I would do.

My girls' lunch boxes are from Costco. Columbia?? California Innovations? Sorry, can't remember the brand. They are usually there most of the year, definitely in the before school blitz.

egoldber
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't think that will all fit in the LLBean Jr. Sarah has one, but the lunchbox is the deal breaker. And remember, probably in K (and certainly in older grades) they will need to pack their backpacks themselves. A lot of kids with that LLBean pack carry their lunch separately, but I know Sarah would ALWAYS forget it if she did. Of course this year she has so much to carry back and forth we ended up getting a large wheeled backpack. Sigh.

I actually really love the backpacks where the lunchbag slips over the handle or clips to the outside.

ETA: Our schools don't allow you to store anything there. Everything goes back and forth from home every day.

ETA2: Have you had your K open house yet? I would wait until you go there and ask for their advice.

bubbaray
03-10-2009, 10:41 AM
My girls' take an adult-sized lunchbag, any books/folders DD#1 needs and periodically their spare clothes. Their water bottles go in the front pocket. I probably could stuff Target snowpants in there, it would be a bit tight but I think doable.

ETA #1 Oh, and DD#1 packs the packs at home and at daycare to come home. She whines (sigh), but she can definitely do it by herself.

ETA #2 the LLBean lunchbox is MUCH MUCH smaller than the adult-sized ones my girls use. If you go with that, you will DEFINITELY be able to fit everything you need to in the pack.

bubbaray
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I can take photos and post later if you want. LMN....

egoldber
03-10-2009, 10:49 AM
My kid is not so good at the stuffing part. :) Plus her papers and books get ripped when too much is stuffed in there.

Everyday she has to bring: homework folder (8.5x11 folder), reading "folder" (8.5x14 plastic file folder with two composition books, some papers and her reading book), her agenda (5x8.5"), and lunchbag. Once or twice week she also has library books. And then there is artwork, etc.

So that's why the OP should ask her school or parents with older kids at her school. Every school is different in what the kids need to transport back and forth. The kids I see with the smaller LLBean backpacks at Sarah's school either buy their lunch at school or else they carry the lunchbox in their hands.

hellokitty
03-10-2009, 10:55 AM
We have LL Bean jrs and from that list of items you want to put in it... I'd say go with a regular size LL Bean backpack. I don't think all of that (esp when you figure in the lunchbox and snowpants will fit into the jr.

bubbaray
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't have time to take pics right now, but I just tried in DD#1's lime green LLB Jr pack: Target Circo bib snowpants, large adult-sized Costco lunchbag and a large Costco-sized Hooked On Phonics workbook. It all fit. If you went with the LLB lunchbox, you'll have more room. Also, I wouldn't be sending full-bib snowpants (though YMMV) -- LE sells some that are fleece with a shell over top that are just pants. They are less bulky.

HTH

SnuggleBuggles
03-10-2009, 11:03 AM
We have that LL Bean Jr. backpack as well and you couldn't fit all that in there. We have the matching LL Bean lunchbox and that plus his folders fit in the backpack (plus a few misc. things). For things like outerwear...I just send in a separate bag. Those things live in his locker anyway so he doesn't need to bring them back and forth. A few times he has brought his boots and snowpants home and somehow he has fit them in the backpack though.

Ds is in 1st grade and I think it is a great backpack.

Beth

bubbaray
03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
OK, photos for the non-believers:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22038215@N08/

Totally doable. DD#1 was able to load it herself, using the larger Costco lunchbox. YMMV on the size of the books sent home from school. K's don't get a whole lot of homework here, usually worksheets in a thin folder so the parents can sign and return, plus their reading log.

Canna
03-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I can fit a book, lunchbox, water bottle, and snowpants, mittens and hat into DD's LLBean Junior pack, but everything has to go in just so - book at the back, lunch box on the bottom, snow pants rolled up, hat and mittens in the front pocket.

WatchingThemGrow
03-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I like the LE preschool ones we have b/c they have a lunchbox clip on the outside. As a K teacher, I can see true value in that clip and some monogramming!

Personally, unless there is one that is deeply discounted right now, I'd likely wait until the new ones are out. There seems (to me) to not be a huge selection currently out. BTS time will give you a lot more options, and if you're well-informed (which you're already becoming) you'll likely make a better choice, IMO.

bubbaray
03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
If you really want to go with a rolling pack, the LLB Original rolling would be a nice size and it comes in the blue flowerpatch:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=42886&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504489&feat=504489-tn&cat4=504488

IMO, the Deluxe is too big (I have the deluxe rolling and DD#1 used it in the airport, but she couldn't lift it onto a bus or navigate it over snowy sidewalks by herself).

My main reason for the LLB Jr was the size -- it was big enough to carry everything, but not too big for little kids. I can't remember the ratio, but I think they aren't supposed to carry more than 10% of their body weight, which for my DD#1 is a whopping 4lbs. I thought the LE preschool ones were too small for the lunchboxes I use.

FWIW, I wouldn't send snow bibs to school for DD#1 -- she needs help getting them on. I need to find her snow pants b/c she'll need to put them on by herself. Its not as cold here, though, so she really d/n need bibs unless she's on the skihill.

And, I like the Costco adult lunchboxes b/c they have the removable liner and are super-easy to keep clean. I do know that the girls LOVED the LLB lunchbox I got for our trip to Maui (it matches our rolling backpack).

ETA: Personally, I'm not a fan of monogramming for security/safety reasons. YMMV

sarahsthreads
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
OK, photos for the non-believers:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22038215@N08/

Totally doable. DD#1 was able to load it herself, using the larger Costco lunchbox. YMMV on the size of the books sent home from school. K's don't get a whole lot of homework here, usually worksheets in a thin folder so the parents can sign and return, plus their reading log.

Wow, those pictures are very helpful! Thank you so much. (And that is a *really* cute print...) That sounds like the "homework" that my friends with Kindergartners described when I asked around about backpack requirements.

Oh, and what are the two bags next to your skip hop in those next two pictures? 'Cause I'm looking to downsize from my skip hop but I haven't found anything I like as well...

sarahsthreads
03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I like the LE preschool ones we have b/c they have a lunchbox clip on the outside. As a K teacher, I can see true value in that clip and some monogramming!

Personally, unless there is one that is deeply discounted right now, I'd likely wait until the new ones are out. There seems (to me) to not be a huge selection currently out. BTS time will give you a lot more options, and if you're well-informed (which you're already becoming) you'll likely make a better choice, IMO.

I'd wait except that she does need to carry a backpack to and from preschool and her current backpack is getting hard for her to wear because the straps are too short!

Does having the lunchbox clipped to the outside make it too awkward to carry (because the weight isn't distributed as well)?

bubbaray
03-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Oh, and what are the two bags next to your skip hop in those next two pictures? 'Cause I'm looking to downsize from my skip hop but I haven't found anything I like as well...

The black/grey/silver bag is a small Timbuk2 messenger. The blue/pink/blue one is the medium Timbuk2 messenger (which is MUCH larger than the Skip hop -- my 2yo could fit in it!).

I am totally jonesing for this T2: http://www.rei.com/product/748536

Members get 20% off until the end of March, plus there is free shipping to store....

sarahsthreads
03-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't think that will all fit in the LLBean Jr. Sarah has one, but the lunchbox is the deal breaker. And remember, probably in K (and certainly in older grades) they will need to pack their backpacks themselves. A lot of kids with that LLBean pack carry their lunch separately, but I know Sarah would ALWAYS forget it if she did. Of course this year she has so much to carry back and forth we ended up getting a large wheeled backpack. Sigh.

I actually really love the backpacks where the lunchbag slips over the handle or clips to the outside.

ETA: Our schools don't allow you to store anything there. Everything goes back and forth from home every day.

ETA2: Have you had your K open house yet? I would wait until you go there and ask for their advice.

We have K registration next Monday, and I'll probably wait until we've done that before actually placing an order - I'm assuming there will be some sort of people there who can answer questions! I'm 99% sure we can't store anything or I'd just buy another pair of snowpants at the consignment shop to keep at school. :)

I think if DD1 had to remember to carry her lunchbox separately she'd leave it on the bus every day. I'm pretty sure she'll be leaving her backpack there too. She takes after her father, who forgets his cell phone and palm at least twice a week. (It's so much fun to listen to his palm pilot give him reminders about meetings all day at home. :p )

sarahsthreads
03-10-2009, 01:17 PM
The black/grey/silver bag is a small Timbuk2 messenger. The blue/pink/blue one is the medium Timbuk2 messenger (which is MUCH larger than the Skip hop -- my 2yo could fit in it!).

I am totally jonesing for this T2: http://www.rei.com/product/748536

Members get 20% off until the end of March, plus there is free shipping to store....

Oh, goodness, that is one cute bag! I'll have to look into one of those a bit further...isn't Mother's Day coming up soon enough to tell DH he'd be off the hook for a gift? :D

bubbaray
03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Does having the lunchbox clipped to the outside make it too awkward to carry (because the weight isn't distributed as well)?

We did the lunchbox clipped to the (rolling) backpack to Maui. What a complete PITA. OMG, DH flipped his lid and stuffed it into the pack. It was such a complete PITA. Maybe its just us/DH, but it kept swinging around to the wrong side, etc. YMMV

egoldber
03-10-2009, 01:36 PM
If you're OK buying a new backpack for 1st or 2nd grade, then the Jr. is probably fine. But the homework and the amount they have to carry grows alot in 1st IME. And your older DD is an advanced reader, yes?, so she is more likely to be in an advanced reading group that has more homework.

The LLBean rolling Critter backpacks (same size as the original backpacks) are very popular around here.

We actually bought Sarah the Deluxe LLBean rolling pack this year. We used her old one for a few weeks in 2nd grade but then the homework + library books + artwork + jacket (days when it is cold in the morning and warm in the afternoon) made it so that she no longer fit in anything smaller. It is big for her, but she never carried it on her back, she only rolls it. She does sometimes need help getting it up the bus steps, but the patrol helps her if she needs help and for getting around school she just rolls it.

bubbaray
03-10-2009, 01:42 PM
YUP, I am totally expecting that DD#1 will need a larger bag in G1 or definitely G2. I already have the LE ergo backpack (in pink, of course!) in my basement (LE had it on overstock for around $9 a while back, I got 1 for each girl, even though I could stuff DD#2 in it right now, LOL).

I think a G2 student could easily handle the LLB Deluxe Rolling backpack (obviously if Beth's DD is!). It just seemed a bit awkward for DD#1 to deal with at her age right now. The Original rolling is much smaller AFAIK, so that might be a good choice if you want a rolling pack. I am worried about how DD#1 will deal with the bus (daycare uses a bus to transport the kids to school) with a rolling pack. I don't see many kids using rolling ones here, but I think there is also a trend towards LESS homework (due to some studies about how it should be something like only double their age -- so for K, they would get 2x5 = 10 minutes of homework a night).

I have to say, shopping for packs is so freakin' fun. :)

Oh, and BTW, I just ordered that T2 bag in pink for myself. Happy Mother's Day to me, LOL! They are already OOS at my closest REI, so I figured, what the heck. And, if you are a REI member, you get 20% off AND you can apply your dividend as well. DH might not be too pleased with me that I used "his" dividend. LOL.

Anyway, I figure that T2 bag will work great for DL at the end of April. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

bubbaray
03-10-2009, 01:47 PM
One last thing -- if you get the Jr, you'll definitely be able to hand it down to your DD#2. DD#1 has been using her Jr for at least 2 years now every day to daycare and it looks BRAND NEW.

egoldber
03-10-2009, 02:23 PM
What's really funny is to watch Amy pulling the Deluxe backpack. ;) Which she insists on doing when Sarah gets off the bus.

hellokitty
03-10-2009, 02:38 PM
If you get a rolling backpack, I'd ask the school if it's ok. I know that some schools don't have lockers/cubbies big enough to accomodating the rolling backpack. My son's preschool specifically told parents NOT to get their child a rolling backpack, b/c they don't fit.

egoldber
03-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, our school also says no rolling backpacks. I would say half the kids over grade 1 have them. If they don't want the kids to have them, they should assign less homework.

MamaKath
03-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Definitely check before getting a rolling backpack, lots of schools don't allow them or only in older grades. I would look at the LLBean Critter packs. They are a good size without being so huge. It should last most kids K-2 easily as far as the amount it holds. I wouldn't go with the Jr because you would need a new one sooner. So it seems financially sound to me to go with the other.

If you like LE better there are the Ergo and Ergo Jr on clearance. They have an outside spot for the clipping on a lunch sak if you like that. The only reason I like that is you know if dc has lunch when they get in the car (vs. finding out at lunch they don't like I did today, grrrr).

Oh, as a K teacher the thing that bugs me most about the smaller size is that people figure they can just leave out the change of clothes if things get tight inside the backpack. Then when something spills, the kid falls, etc. I have no clothes to change them into.

CiderLogan
03-11-2009, 10:09 AM
My Kindergartener uses a Hanna backpack. It's perfect. Big water bottle pockets on the side when needed; totally stuffable because it's not stiff at all; big enough to hold her folder, lunch, extra cardigan (for when she gets cold in class), change of clothes in a gallon ziploc bag, baggie of papers that come home, and even her coat on days when it gets too warm by afternoon to wear it home.... We started with a smaller PBK backpack at the first of the year, but I definitely prefer something larger to hold it all and not ruin her papers by stuffing them.

Oh, and I liked the Hanna one because it has a clip on the outside for hanging her lunchbox, but we never use it -- it's much easier to just stuff it all inside. The only time we've used it is when it's her snack day and she's taking snacks for 17 kids. But even then I try not to because she sometimes still needs help with the little clip.

DrSally
03-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, our school also says no rolling backpacks. I would say half the kids over grade 1 have them. If they don't want the kids to have them, they should assign less homework.

What? I would want my child to have a rolling one. I wouldn't want all that weight on their back/one shoulder. What's the concern with them?

egoldber
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
They take up extra room in the classroom and the kids can have a hard time managing them on and off the school bus.

I should clarify that it isn't a "rule" so much as they "strongly encourage" no rolling backpacks.

WatchingThemGrow
03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
What? I would want my child to have a rolling one. I wouldn't want all that weight on their back/one shoulder. What's the concern with them?

Some of the biggest problems we had (while I was teaching K-2) with rolling backpacks is that kids are walking in a line, with other lines in the hallways/on the sidewalks at the same time, and the rolling ones always got stepped on, flipped sideways while being pulled (if kid turned), and others would trip over them. It was quite painful to watch 1/3 of the class go tumbling b/c one backpack got out of control...

MamaKath
03-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Some of the biggest problems we had (while I was teaching K-2) with rolling backpacks is that kids are walking in a line, with other lines in the hallways/on the sidewalks at the same time, and the rolling ones always got stepped on, flipped sideways while being pulled (if kid turned), and others would trip over them. It was quite painful to watch 1/3 of the class go tumbling b/c one backpack got out of control...
:yeahthat:

They hurt to fall over at dismissal, that is for sure!!! We had a teacher need surgery after falling over one tangled in a jacket. She really hurt herself. And they can damage the floors if they are the cheaper ones; many schools only allow certain brands if they are allowed.

MamaKath
03-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Forgot to add, by middle school our public schools here do not allow any kind of backpack brought to school at all. Weird!

egoldber
03-11-2009, 06:45 PM
kids are walking in a line, with other lines in the hallways/on the sidewalks at the same time, and the rolling ones always got stepped on

At my elementary, all the kids lined up outside by classroom and went in that way in a big line. At Sarah's school they don't do that. The kids arrive at school however they arrive (bus, carpool, walking) and just go in as they arrive. (The doors open at 8:50 so no one goes in before then.) So it's a staggered entry and they don't have the line of backpacks issue.

But I am wondering how those middle and high school kids get their homework home!

caleymama
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM

I believe that's the reason for the rule at DD's elementary school as well. Also, in K the students hung their backpacks on the back of their chairs, which would probably be more difficult with a rolling backpack.

DD1 used an LL Bean Junior book pack in K. It was adequate for K, and well sized for DD but was not roomy enough for first grade. She's now using an older Lands End Ergo Junior backpack (I've had it a few years - used it as a diaper bag!). The dimensions aren't that much larger then the LL Bean Jr but it holds a lot more, IMHO. Also, DD brings her lunch most days and a snack every day.

FWIW, the LL Bean book pack wore like iron last year. It still is in fantastic shape - at a glance it looks new. It's a dark color with an allover pattern, so that helps, but it really has impressed me. Her Lands End bag, on the other hand, doesn't look as good after about 6 months of use. I do think she's harder on it this year, though.

I'm actually quite temped to pick up one of the regular Ergo backpacks that is an Overstock (http://www.landsend.com/pp/ErgoBackpack%7E193644_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CHA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000491&origin=index) right now for next year. Hmmm...

DrSally
03-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Forgot to add, by middle school our public schools here do not allow any kind of backpack brought to school at all. Weird!

Interesting about the wheeled backpacks, I could see tripping problems. In middle school, what are they supposed to carry their stuff in?

MamaKath
03-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Interesting about the wheeled backpacks, I could see tripping problems. In middle school, what are they supposed to carry their stuff in?
Don't know. Our neighbors kid never brings any home. We have a friend who just switched their middle schooler to public and this is one of their biggest complaints!

sarahsthreads
03-12-2009, 10:53 AM

Oh, dear, I'd never have thought of that problem!

I think I'm going to wait until the registration on Monday and see if I can find out what they recommend then. The tiny backpack we have will work for another week or two!

vonfirmath
03-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I am beginning to think maybe I ought to get my then-2 year old son a regular backpack instead of a rolling backpack for our flight in September. i was going to use a backpack with a leash to keep a hold of him in the airport, so figured needed a rolling backpack for him to have something to push/pull in the airport.

But I could attach a leash to a regular backpack, correct? And this people getting hurt on the rolling backpacks thing makes me concerned.

But then what could he push in the airport? has anyone ever tried taking a cheap push toy with you for them to have something to push? I know he has troubles pushing the stroller we were planning on taking -- and indeed, he may end up riding... I just don't know.

egoldber
03-12-2009, 01:52 PM
He will be fine with a rolling backpack in the airport. Really. :)

caleymama
03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
He will be fine with a rolling backpack in the airport. Really. :)

:yeahthat: