PDA

View Full Version : how can I make a party out special?

Jenn850
03-10-2009, 03:49 PM
My mother has been really amazing at helping me with DD this past year. We are having her 60th birthday at a club... and I am trying to come up with something to make it stand out. Any ideas for clevor/cool favors, flowers, cakes or something wonderful I've never heard of!?! (There are only 20-25 of us)

srhs
03-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Could you do some sort of slideshow with photos of her life scrolling during the party? The club likely has a projector system. You could put the photos on a jump drive and then give a digital frame as a gift.
The time consuming part would be scanning them.

DrSally
03-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Could you do some sort of slideshow with photos of her life scrolling during the party? The club likely has a projector system. You could put the photos on a jump drive and then give a digital frame as a gift.
The time consuming part would be scanning them.

Great idea! My brother did this for my father's funeral (not to be morbid).

JTsMom
03-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Do you have a theme?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Do you have a theme?
:yeahthat: I am an event Planner, so I may have some ideas, but need more info.

HGraceMom
03-10-2009, 06:06 PM
we had 60 for my MIL's party (she requested we throw her one & she would pay for it - a long story...) Since she was paying, I wasn't going to complain... though from 700 miles away & 7 1/2 months preggo, it was tough to organize...

For the ladies we went to Illuminations and bought small jar candles in pretty spring colors, tied the necks with bright curly ribbon and attached bright pink, orange or lime placecards. For the men I bought small-ish bags of jelly-bellies and did the same with curly ribbon and attached placecards. The flowers were bright summer colors to match the candy & candles - bright colored gerber daisies & pretty sweet peas, etc. I also printed menu cards that were the same colors as the placecards. We ordered a cake ahead of time that had handmade flowers on top. I made a highlight photo album of 8x10 photos of her through the years that was a gift from DH & I.

5 years later she asked for another party - She said "I haven't had a birthday party in as long as I can remember." HELLO??? What about #60? Planned from 700 miles away & 7 1/2 months preggo... I said NO WAY So BIL & SIL planned one for her, and when DH & I had an unchangeable commitment & couldn't attend she didn't talk to us for 3 months! Short memory...

elektra
03-10-2009, 06:16 PM
I went to a 60th b-day party that was a Mardi Gras theme. It was for my friend's dad. They encouraged the guests to dress up and they handed out beads and everything was purple and gold.
They had a big blown up picture of the guest of honor in his navy uniform from his teens/early 20's.
My friend and her sisters got all decked out with their outfits too. It was alot of fun.
They also had people get up and speak during the dinner about what a great guy my friend's dad was. Those speeches were really memorable.