PDA

View Full Version : Are short redeye/overnight flights a bad idea with a toddler?

kristal
03-10-2009, 06:05 PM
We live in northern California. There is a possibility of me getting 3 days off from work towards the end of March, so we have just started thinking about a 5 day trip to Maui. This will be DS's first vacation- he is 20 months old.

For the flight on the way back, we have two options. One is to take an overnight flight to LA, which will last for 5 hours or so. Then a 1 hour lay over and and then a 1+hour flight to our city. We will reach back home by 10am.

The other option is to skip the overnight flight and spend almost the entire next day flying (including connections) back home- leave Maui around 11.30am and then reach home by 9pm.

I'm wondering if it would be foolish of me to even consider the overnight flight. I know that with the overnight flight, his night time sleep will be totally disrupted. But we will reach home by 10am and then have that day to recover from the trip. With the second option, DS will get a good night's sleep, but will have to spend 8 hours or so flying the next day, and reach home by bedtime. Next day I start work, so not much time to recover from the trip.

I'm totally confused as to which option will work out better for DS. Any been through a similar situation? Any advice??

Tondi G
03-10-2009, 06:46 PM
I would do the overnight flight!

hillview
03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
We've done our fair share of overnight flights with the kids (more like 7 hr flights). It varies -- we had one bad trip -- DS #1 didn't sleep at all. That said, I'd go for the overnight flight -- fastest path to home! I'd take benadryl and a sense of humor :)
/hillary

mom2binsd
03-10-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd go for overnight flight too!

Zansu
03-11-2009, 01:02 AM
My boys have done the overnight flight every year. It's much better than doing the daytime flights.

Mine take a little while to fall asleep OGG-LAX, but then they're wired and ready to go during the layover. But as soon as our final flight leaves the ground, they are out cold.

We wait to get off the plane at home until it's empty, and just carry the kids out in their carseats (DH gets DS1 in the Marathon).

Make sure you arrange to stay at your condo/hotel for the extra hours, so you can play all day, then go back and shower, finish packing, and then grab dinner on the way to the airport.

kristal
03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks all, for your responses and suggestions!
I guess my decision is made :)

codex57
03-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Kristal, have you got the other parts of the Maui trip planned out?

I'd love suggestions. We've booked the airfare (in May), but that's it. SFO-OGG. Non-stops on United. DW hates long flights (and is pregnant), plus we'll have a 1 yr old and a MIL.

StantonHyde
03-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Bubbaray just did a great trip in Maui--it was under the heading BubbaRay is back, I think.

bubbaray
03-13-2009, 10:08 PM
IMO, 5 days is too short a trip to Maui. DH and I agreed that when we go next time, it will be for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Maui is different than the other islands -- we used to go regularly to Kauai. We found that unless you stay in one place, there is a LOT of driving on Maui and the distances between places are long. So, with little kids, you really have to plan your excursions, KWIM?

We stayed in Kaanapali and HIGHLY recommend the area. We were in the north part of Kaanapali (north of Black Rock) and IMO, the beach is the best beach on the island for families with little kids. We stayed at the Maui Kaanapali Villas and will stay there again, mainly for the size of the rooms (1200 square feet) and the proximity to the beach, as well as the short walk (~15min) to Whalers Village.

Zansu
03-14-2009, 05:31 PM
There was a good thread when Melissa was preparing to go. I've been going to Maui for years, so I can recommend lots too.

new_mommy25
03-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I live in Hawaii and book redeyes to the mainland whenever I can. They are the easiest! The cabin is dark and everyone is sleeping, including my kids. I can never sleep but I'd rather be delirious the next day then spend a day flight trying to entertain my kids for hours.

kristal
03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
codex87- well, I was unable to get the three days off from work that I was hoping for. So our Maui plans have been washed out :crying:

But when we were planning we were thinking of staying in the maui kanappali (sp?) villas (I think its ResortQuest now) based on recos from here. Or in the Whaler's condos. I was checking www.vrbo.com but almost all the places were sold out for our dates.

I hadn't started planning any other activities etc.

Hope you have a great trip!

ps: yeah, the UA direct flight is perfect. It was just too expensive for our dates.

AnnieW625
04-07-2009, 01:42 PM
We took DD on a red eye from Long Beach to Dulles and she did fine. Flight time was just over 5/1/2 hours and she did sleep for most of it. She actually did better on the red eye than she did on the return trip. Check out Hawaiian Air too they have some pretty good prices.