PDA

View Full Version : "Please Enclose $5 In The Envelope Provided..."

farsk
03-10-2009, 06:19 PM
My friend and I are planning a road trip this summer. When we got a idea of the path we would take, I went to various place's websites and ordered visitor guides from different cities. I used to work in tourism - visitor guides are a significant source of revenue (aside from the transient tax). We used to send out dozens a week.

Anyway, you can imagine my excitement that there was a large envelope in my mailbox today. It was from Yuma, AZ! My first guide! I mentally complimented the visitor's bureau of Yuma for their quick response.

I opened the envelope and took out the guide - very impressive - like a magazine. I opened it up and into my lap fell an envelope and a note. "Please enclose $5 in the envelope provided - a modest request to offset shipping."

I looked at the envelope. It cost $2.36 to mail.

One of the things you build into a tourism budget is money for mailings.

I was irritated. Very irritated.

Dear Yuma Visitor's Bureau,
If you can't afford to mail a complimentary copy of your visitor's guide without a request for almost double the cost for mailing it, simply don't advertise that you will send a visitor's guide on your website. At the very least, let those requesting know that we'll be responsible for the cost of shipping.

swrc00
03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
How tacky! I am shocked that a state tourism board would include that in their mailing.

misshollygolightly
03-10-2009, 07:01 PM
How tacky of them! The website should have said that a $5 donation is encouraged.

ETA: swrc00, we must have posted at the exact same moment!

Melaine
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
WHOA....are you going to do it? I don't think I would. That's insane! If you do, you should put in $2.36 in pennies to "off-set" shipping.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-10-2009, 08:12 PM
My friend and I are planning a road trip this summer. When we got a idea of the path we would take, I went to various place's websites and ordered visitor guides from different cities. I used to work in tourism - visitor guides are a significant source of revenue (aside from the transient tax). We used to send out dozens a week.

Anyway, you can imagine my excitement that there was a large envelope in my mailbox today. It was from Yuma, AZ! My first guide! I mentally complimented the visitor's bureau of Yuma for their quick response.

I opened the envelope and took out the guide - very impressive - like a magazine. I opened it up and into my lap fell an envelope and a note. "Please enclose $5 in the envelope provided - a modest request to offset shipping."

I looked at the envelope. It cost $2.36 to mail.

One of the things you build into a tourism budget is money for mailings.

I was irritated. Very irritated.

Dear Yuma Visitor's Bureau,
If you can't afford to mail a complimentary copy of your visitor's guide without a request for almost double the cost for mailing it, simply don't advertise that you will send a visitor's guide on your website. At the very least, let those requesting know that we'll be responsible for the cost of shipping.

Yuma is the armpit of AZ and one of the hottest nastiest places in the US.

Ceepa
03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Yuma is the armpit of AZ and one of the hottest nastiest places in the US.

Ha! Before seeing this from pp I was going to type "Yuma, what do you expect." LOL

farsk
03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
I am not going to send them money.

I'm thankful now that instead leaving San Diego and going south, we have decided to go north and hit Las Vegas before going to Flagstaff, Winslow, Phoenix, then over to Socorro, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe in New Mexico; then to Amarillo, TX; Oklahoma City; and Little Rock before heading for home.

Keeping my fingers crossed that none of their visitor guides piss me off.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-11-2009, 12:36 AM
I am not going to send them money.

I'm thankful now that instead leaving San Diego and going south, we have decided to go north and hit Las Vegas before going to Flagstaff, Winslow, Phoenix, then over to Socorro, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe in New Mexico; then to Amarillo, TX; Oklahoma City; and Little Rock before heading for home.

Keeping my fingers crossed that none of their visitor guides piss me off.

I live in Flagstaff! I can tell you the good places to go here!!!!! It rains a bit here in the summer "monsoon" season, and it is chilly at night July-Sept it rains... Flag is 45 mins to Sedona and 1.5 hours to the Canyon, keep those places in mind!From Vegas to Flag is about 3-4 hours. Phoenix is HOT AS HELL! Flag is 30 degrees less so our lovely 80 is 110 there! Are you sure you are going through Phoenix???? Las Vegas to Flag is pretty direct, PHX is out of the way, and no offense, but PHX is like ever other big city, but dirtier!

PM me if you want any info on the Flag area!

Zansu
03-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Totally not surprised that Yuma is unclear on the concept. Although I do have trouble figuring out what they would have to put in a visitor's guide.

Skip Phoenix, unless you don't get enough congestion, smog and strip malls at home.

Flag is gorgeous, and Tucson has a lot to recommend it, just not in the summer time.

farsk
03-11-2009, 08:01 AM
I don't particularly have an affinity for Phoenix, but my boyfriend has a thing about having his picture made in front of every state capitol building. So in the interest of him getting *some* of his capitols in - we're headed to phoenix.

:sigh:

Belle, I'd love the insider's guide to Flagstaff!!!!!!

JTsMom
03-11-2009, 08:53 AM
That is so tacky! I wouldn't have sent the money either.

Zansu
03-11-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't particularly have an affinity for Phoenix, but my boyfriend has a thing about having his picture made in front of every state capitol building. So in the interest of him getting *some* of his capitols in - we're headed to phoenix.

Well, Prescott was the original territorial capital, so maybe you can convince him to go there instead. :)

hellokitty
03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow, all that I know is that if I got something like that, it would turn me off to going there. I think they will scare away more ppl with their tactic than anything, esp when it's obvious that it did not even cost $5 to ship the envelope!

LexyLou
03-11-2009, 01:01 PM
That doesn't surprise me. Yuma is nasty. You really don't want to go there. Unless you want to pick up on Marines. That's really the only thing there.

Check out Flagstaff and Phoenix area. Much nicer!

jgenie
03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
If you make it to Phoenix - plan to stop at Last Chance (http://about.nordstrom.com/MapPoint/PrxResults.aspx?&GAD2=&GAD3=&GCITY=&GSTATE=AZ&GZIP=&GAD4=&DSN=&LOC=&IC=&NR=5&DBR=75&FC=Nordstrom%2cSpa%2cRack&FCT=Or&statesearch=1&ST=5) - Nordstrom's Clearance center. We happened to find it and found some great deals! :)

farsk
03-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Got my next visitor guide - from Oklahoma City. Not only did they *not* request money for shipping, they sent me a coupon book! Yay OKC!!!!!