PDA

View Full Version : Adult Bedroom Furniture

Bryan mom
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
We're in the market for a new set of bedroom furniture. We're looking for good quality furniture (ours falling apart) for a fair price.

Any recommendations for any furniture in the NJ/PA/NY area?

Some previous thread mentioned about Furnitureland South and Lauters. Please share your experiences.

I also noticed Amazon and ebay have furniture postings. Any experiences from that?

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
I didn't do a lot of research, but we found a set we liked that was made by Kincaid, and we ordered it through FLS in NC. We've been very happy with it.

The styles are so varied with each manufacturer. We spent several weekends walking through furniture stores just to get an idea of something we both liked and wanted to look at for the next decade plus.

captobey
03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
We bought a Stanley bedroom set through Boyles Furniture in NC. I shopped around a bit locally and looked online and then called with style numbers to get a price. The price was significantly lower. They sometimes offer free shipping promotions during the year.

HTH

WatchingThemGrow
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
boyle's is across the street from FLS :)

Bryan mom
03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Super!

Thank you ladies for the advise. I found a Stanley set that I like. I'm still looking for different designs. We went to a few furniture stores the past weekend with no luck. We'll keep looking. I'll check out Kincaid too.

I'll use your approach and see if FLS and Boyles carries the item after I decide on a set.

Let me know if I should call any other furniture stores in NC that offer competitive pricing.

WatchingThemGrow
03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
We've ordered a ton of Stanley stuff for the kids (thanks ILs!) through FLS and have been very happy. They deliver nationwide. They did have a free delivery promotion in Jan.

DebbieJ
03-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Bring cash and bargain with them. Furniture has such a high mark up.

mom2224
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
We've been really happy with our FFDM bedroom set. Here's what we have:

http://www.ffdm.com/product_detail_template.cfm?pid=460

I wanted a foot board that would accommodate DH (6'8").

And have had great experiences with Furniture Land South. 3 bedrooms, kitchen table, barstools, and a living room bookcase piece. FLS has always beaten Boyles prices for us. They price shipping per weight,- not per piece(s).

My brother lives in Morristown, NJ and has used FLS.

Good Luck!

Hawkeyewife
03-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Have you checked out costco.com? We have purchased tons of furniture from them. Delivery and installation is included in the price. Last year, we purchased the Adelaide Bedroom Set, which is currently on sale and it is very nice. For $2000 we got a King Size Bed, Dresser, two bedside tables, chest and mirror. The dresser was damaged upon delivery but Costco quickly replaced it once I called and emailed them a picture.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11247348&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=16&lang=en-US

We have also purchased a dining room set from them as well, it has 8 chairs, two leaves (we only use one regularly) and all the pads for the table. We also got the sideboard and total spent less than $1500. It was quite a deal two years ago. We are military and move a lot so we don't like to spend too much on furniture, but it is nice to have pretty furniture.

Bryan mom
03-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions.

DebbieJ, can you help me understand a bit as to how you would negotiate with the cash? I like the idea, but I'm concerned that for a big purchase that should something go wrong there's no recourse. I've done cash purchases for things that does not require a delivery and the cash is a great bargaining tool. I was thinking a paying a deposit first and then paying the balance at the time of delivery.

Thanks, Mom2224. That's great to know that FLS has been consistently wonderful to work with. That is a beautiful bedroom set you have. My bedroom is more wide than long, so I'll be looking for a piece with no footboard so that my room won't look too crammed.

Hawkeyewife, that is a wonderful suggestion. I love the idea of buying from Costco especially with their excellent return policy. Did you have to return your damaged dresser or was the picture you sent enough for them to send you a replacement? Love the set. Wonder if there's a matching armoire we can order separately... DH prefers an armoire over a chest. Wonder if he'll settle for a chest instead. Hmmm...

DebbieJ
03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
DebbieJ, can you help me understand a bit as to how you would negotiate with the cash? I like the idea, but I'm concerned that for a big purchase that should something go wrong there's no recourse. I've done cash purchases for things that does not require a delivery and the cash is a great bargaining tool. I was thinking a paying a deposit first and then paying the balance at the time of delivery.

You still have recourse. The store will give you a receipt.

Stores pay to accept credit cards. If you give them cash, you are saving them money. Start waving around some $100 bills and they will make a deal with you.

Drag0nflygirl
03-12-2009, 11:21 PM
I sell furniture, and you've recieved lots of great advise so far. I need to second the Kincaid idea. Everything they make is solid wood, no particle board or veneer. It will last a lifetime. The only problem is there aren't many places to see it. La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries have a few pieces, as well as books for each Kincaid line. Kincaid is owned by La-Z-Boy. I believe Raymore and Flannigan can also order it for you. La-Z-Boy has a private mailer out this weekend only for 20% off and free delivery (that's where I work and it's the best sale we ever do). Let me know if you see something that you want a price on - that way you can call around to see if anyone can do better. As far as paying with cash and getting a better deal - that totaly works with smaller stores/chains because they do have to pay a fee to the CC companies for each transaction. Bigger stores tend not to care how you pay, although some of the sleezier ones (R&F for example) will pretend they do just to make you think you're getting a better deal.

kellij
03-12-2009, 11:41 PM
I sell furniture, and you've recieved lots of great advise so far. I need to second the Kincaid idea. Everything they make is solid wood, no particle board or veneer. It will last a lifetime. The only problem is there aren't many places to see it. La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries have a few pieces, as well as books for each Kincaid line. Kincaid is owned by La-Z-Boy. I believe Raymore and Flannigan can also order it for you. La-Z-Boy has a private mailer out this weekend only for 20% off and free delivery (that's where I work and it's the best sale we ever do). Let me know if you see something that you want a price on - that way you can call around to see if anyone can do better. As far as paying with cash and getting a better deal - that totaly works with smaller stores/chains because they do have to pay a fee to the CC companies for each transaction. Bigger stores tend not to care how you pay, although some of the sleezier ones (R&F for example) will pretend they do just to make you think you're getting a better deal.

I sent you an email!

Thanks!

Hawkeyewife
03-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Hawkeyewife, that is a wonderful suggestion. I love the idea of buying from Costco especially with their excellent return policy. Did you have to return your damaged dresser or was the picture you sent enough for them to send you a replacement? Love the set. Wonder if there's a matching armoire we can order separately... DH prefers an armoire over a chest. Wonder if he'll settle for a chest instead. Hmmm...

The picture is all I needed to get a replacement. It was delivered within two weeks and the damaged one was picked up that. They are great! I am not sure if there is an armoir. A few years back we bought a set from ValueCity furniture (Studio One, I believe) for our guest room. We bought the armoir and dresser with mirror, they are both very nice.

grins88
03-13-2009, 09:40 AM
I definitely second the FLS thing. I actually live about a half hour from FLS, and it is amazing! We bought DD's nursery/bedroom furniture (Stanley Young America) from there. I will say that I did not initially care for our first salesperson (she just did not seem like she was interested in helping us find what we wanted), but I requested to switch to the person we had initially asked for (on referral) and she was FANTASTIC! They beat all other prices we had gotten for the furniture by enough to basically get her nursery chair and ottoman paid for with the difference. I will be happy to look up my salesperson's info and pass it along if you would like.