PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in this situation. . .

jetrlw
03-10-2009, 09:03 PM
So, I was at playgroup today with my DD, 20 months old. There are 7 kids in the group all around the same age. We just bought a Little Tykes Bounce House for the group and was excited for the debut today. We even put balls in it for them to play with! Well, about half way through the group, my DD was playing in the bounce house with another child (boy). The little boy then out of no where pins my DD down and tries to kiss her. My DD is laughing hysterically and turning her face while the little boy (22 months) turns her face the other way so that he could kiss her.

The mother's response was simply to call out the boys name. I was a bit in shock and didn't really want to bring too much attention to what was happening. At the same time, every parent at the group saw what happened. I didn't say anything, I just watched to see what would eventually happen. After a couple minutes the little boy got up and bounced away. My DD was still laughing. So, I didn't make a big deal out of it. On the one hand I wonder if I should have said something. On the other hand they are just kids playing around. The boys mother referred to him as a Latin Lover.

What would you have done in this situation?

sste
03-10-2009, 09:17 PM
I would have laughed! If everyone was having fun and they are all under two years old I don't see any issue.

IDcam
03-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Hmm, maybe I'm a bit uptight but I think I'd be in shock. But I don't know what I would do in your situation either. It bothers me now to think about a little boy trying to kiss my daughter (at any age). Feels like he's taking away her innocence a little, YKWIM? Maybe it's a first-time mommy to a daughter thing... :loveeyes:

shawnandangel
03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I would have taken a picture and put it in her scrapbook as her "first kiss"

I would not be concerned.

cvanbrunt
03-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I would have laughed, too. Kisses are fun and sweet when you are a kid.

hillview
03-10-2009, 09:36 PM
As a mom of 2 boys, I'd have likely done the same thing -- called his name AND gotten off my butt and gotten my son. For my kids and my POV, at least this is very young and so hard to really manage what they do in a particular situation but if DS did something that I thought might not be okay I'd go get him. That said, if it was a very close friend's child I'd have just likely laughed it off unless it was something he did often/was a lot larger and at risk of hurting another child.
/hillary

MontrealMum
03-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I imagine I would have been shocked as well. I certainly was when I was told a few weeks ago that DS kissed a girl at daycare (he's nearly 19 mos. now). And this week he's been trying to open-mouth kiss both me and his dad. I guess it's a phase? That's what the daycare teachers told us, they were totally unconcerned. Kissing the little girl was kinda cute, Frenching the parents - eeek! I hope it ends soon. Oh, and last time he tried to do it he also stuck his fingers up my nose. Nice. I think it might be part of learning about the body? I read that they're very interested in that at this age. So, I guess if it was my kid my initial reaction would have been shock, but now?... maybe just a verbal warning like you described, maybe I'd physically step in - it would also really depend on the reaction of the other DC - I'd also pull him off or discipline him of the mom of the other DC looked really worried.

IDcam
03-10-2009, 09:45 PM
kissing the little girl was kinda cute, frenching the parents - eeek! I hope it ends soon. Oh, and last time he tried to do it he also stuck his fingers up my nose. Nice.

:rotflmao:

jetrlw
03-11-2009, 09:03 AM
I would have taken a picture and put it in her scrapbook as her "first kiss"

I would not be concerned.

Cute idea. I guess overall it wasn't such a big deal and thus I didn't make a big deal of it. I know that kids go through all kinds of stages and as long as no one is hurt then it is all in fun.

g-mama
03-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Not a big deal, IMO. If your dd was upset, different story, and I would guess the mom would react differently. I don't think any innocence was lost today.

Melaine
03-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Anytime there is rough housing and tackling, getting pinned or stuck in a corner, I just watch closely. If both children are ok and laughing about, it's not a big deal to me. I would feel the same about a kiss or 2 at that age, as long as the child doesn't seem bothered by it, I wouldn't be. At what age it becomes a little more of an issue....I'm not sure. DDs have several little friends who are boys that are quite affectionate....I think it is adorable.

happymomma
03-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Not a big deal since everyone was having fun. I would just watch to make sure that your DD was okay with it. Since she was, I would just let it be.

elliput
03-11-2009, 02:42 PM
And this week he's been trying to open-mouth kiss both me and his dad. I guess it's a phase? That's what the daycare teachers told us, they were totally unconcerned. Kissing the little girl was kinda cute, Frenching the parents - eeek! I hope it ends soon. Oh, and last time he tried to do it he also stuck his fingers up my nose. Nice.

Just a phase. My DD did these things also.

mom2binsd
03-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I imagine I would have been shocked as well. I certainly was when I was told a few weeks ago that DS kissed a girl at daycare (he's nearly 19 mos. now). And this week he's been trying to open-mouth kiss both me and his dad. I guess it's a phase? That's what the daycare teachers told us, they were totally unconcerned. Kissing the little girl was kinda cute, Frenching the parents - eeek! I hope it ends soon. Oh, and last time he tried to do it he also stuck his fingers up my nose. Nice. I think it might be part of learning about the body? I read that they're very interested in that at this age. the other DC looked really worried.

Yup our DS went through that stage too, he still prefers lip to cheek kisses, oh and to add to it all he still humps his pink blanket but not the Dora doll anymore (we removed the temptation...)

niccig
03-11-2009, 03:23 PM
As a mum of a boy, if DS did this I would tell him to get off your DD and to be more gentle with some of the play, ie. not to knock each other down. The kissing I think is pretty innocent.

MontrealMum
03-11-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a mouth-kisser. He hadn't been a cheek-kisser either so it freaked us out a bit at first. I guess this is just the start of lots of fun stories!

s7714
03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
If my DD didn't look uncomfortable, I probably wouldn't have done anything but watch.

Nooknookmom
03-13-2009, 12:20 AM
I really don't think a 22 month old has the capacity to "know" what a kiss means (to an adult or to the opposite sex). My DD is 22 months and ALWAYS goes over and hugs her BFF (24 mo) and kisses her. Her friend isn't as huggy-kissy and wriggles out of the bear hug. Both the friends mom & I laugh (I do pry DD off of BFF).

I guess I hug and kiss DD so much that she thinks that's what you do! No biggie.

Now, it may be a tad different when the kids are 5/6.