PDA

View Full Version : With an open house schedule for Sun.

KpbS
03-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Our neighbor (who in his defense has always been very nice) went and burned his lawn. Yes!! His entire lawn, burned. Not an accident--totally intentional. And he burned part of the lot next to his (undeveloped). We are in a neighborhood--not outside of town or even the edge of town. All in hopes of have that "perfect" lawn :rolleye0014:

There is NO way that scorched earth will help our house sell.....

ahrimie
03-11-2009, 06:51 AM
O weird... and what a bummer for you guys! Do you belong to an association? I don't think mine would let someone do that... we can't even have fences!

DrSally
03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
nak. crazy!

Octobermommy
03-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Not good, but my dh has done that but only in the back yard where no one can see b/c it is fenced. It helped make the yard look better eventually but I know that is no help to you now. Sorry!

mommylamb
03-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question, but why would anyone do that?

C99
03-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question, but why would anyone do that?

Prairie burns? They still burn the prairie around us once/year or so to encourage regrowth, etc. Page 2 of this article (http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/storage/paper736/news/2004/07/14/Features/Prairie.Burning.To.Restore.Natural.Habitat-693648-page2.shtml) explains the concept a bit

misshollygolightly
03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Well, *maybe* it will send a positive message to prospective buyers by letting them know that your neighbor goes to great lengths to take care of his lawn?!? Trying to find a bright spot here :) One idea: you could display some flattering photos of your house and yard from different angles and seasons of the year somewhere inside (maybe on a coffee table or kitchen counter?). This might help prospective buyers visualize what your neighborhood looks like under more favorable circumstances! Not sure where you live, but we have distinct seasons here and I will definitely want to show off pictures of my house with springtime tulips and fall foliage whenever it's time to sell.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
i think you're supposed to do that to zoyzia grass. I could be wrong, but i remember a man down the street did it every year when i was growing up.

alexsmommy
03-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd be sure to let people know that the burn was intentional to get back a better greener lawn.
Sorry for the baaaaaad timing.

kransden
03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
It wouldn't bother me if I was looking at your house.

Happy 2B mommy
03-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Bad timing for you, but periodic burning can make a lawn look great. Make sure you let whoever is showing the house know that and share that info with those coming though.

JTsMom
03-12-2009, 10:14 AM
:yeahthat: I'd be annoyed if I were you too, but as a buyer, it wouldn't throw me. Hopefully most people are the same.

KpbS
03-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Well, *maybe* it will send a positive message to prospective buyers by letting them know that your neighbor goes to great lengths to take care of his lawn?!?

Yeah, I hope so....

:yeahthat: I'd be annoyed if I were you too, but as a buyer, it wouldn't throw me. Hopefully most people are the same.

Thanks guys!! :)