PDA

View Full Version : Baby Jogger City Mini/Classic/Elite Differences?

Momof3Labs
03-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I see obvious differences in weight and tires, but what are the other differences among these strollers? It will be used for the twins when they arrive for malls, museums, zoo, neighborhood walks (all on relatively smooth sidewalks) and occasional travel (air or car). With the older kids, the P3 fit most of our needs, and we used an older (but wonderful) Teutonia single with air tires for around the neighborhood.

ETA: I do have a Combi SBS double that I got nearly new at a thrift store a few years back (for $30!!) but that will likely go in my nanny's car, so this would ideally be our main stroller (w/a double SNG for quick errands).

Thanks!!

salsah
03-11-2009, 12:21 PM
aside from weight and tires, the elite has some nicer features such as adjustable leg rest. i believe that it uses magnets instead of velcro. oh, the mini does NOT have an adjustable handle.
if you go the bj website, they have little videos showing the different features. that may be helpful to give you a better idea of the differences.

for your use, i think the mini will be more practical for in out of the car and travel. obviously air-filled rubber tires will be better, but i'm not sure you want to life the elite in and out of your car on a regular basis. i think i heard that the actual weight (of the 2009) is much more than what is stated on the bj website.

Momof3Labs
03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Hmm, a lack of adjustable handle could be an issue. DH is 6'3" and I'm 5'4" but with a long stride so we tend to fiddle with handle adjustments whenever they are available. I probably need to try to find these locally to compare, too. We only have BRU close by but Buy Buy Baby is about an hour away.

salsah
03-11-2009, 01:23 PM
i'm 5'5" i find the handle on the mini to be very comfortable. i like a tall handle and i have a long stride. dh (at 6') also likes it. however i have heard of women my height (or shorter) who think that it is too high.

lorinick
03-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Hmm, a lack of adjustable handle could be an issue. DH is 6'3" and I'm 5'4" but with a long stride so we tend to fiddle with handle adjustments whenever they are available. I probably need to try to find these locally to compare, too. We only have BRU close by but Buy Buy Baby is about an hour away.

I can tell you that none of the BRU's near me carry the City in the stores. only on there wed site. Only BBB carries in my area. And I love the mini. The handle is never an issue for us.

WatchingThemGrow
03-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Ok, so I'm now the happy owner of both a BJCED and BJCMD. We had the Elite for 16 mos. as our only double and loooooooved it. The handlebar, the leg rests, the parent console, the very roomy seats, the air tires, the magnetic window flaps, the accessible storage basket, the suspension, and so on. Funny, but when my BJCMD was delivered by the bike shop guy yesterday, I realized how much I'll miss those very features on an every-outing basis. [Background if you didn't see my posts about it- very pg, 2.5 yo DD wants to ride more than walk and I feel like lifting the BJCED is just more than I can safely do during this pg, while also dealing with the 2.5 and 1 yos all the while... - so DH did some programming work and earned the stroller for free through a friend's bike shop :)))]

So, we've been 1/2 way around the neighborhood, to the mall for the evening, and to the indoor/outdoor science museum for the day. I feel like we've gotten a good bit of use out of it during the day we've had it.

I think the BJCMD is great for a lightweight stroller. In comparison to the others in the market, it pushes really well(one handed!), has great canopies, recline, etc. BUT... I don't like it for outside. Indoors, perfect. Outdoors on museum/zoo trails, on neighborhood streets, I really miss the suspension in the 2008 Elite Double, the air tires, the parent console, the easier to get into basket, etc. For travel, I'm not sure which we'll take. We usually walk outside, but not sure if we'll do as much while I'm pg this time.

If I had to pick one, I'd take the Elite. If you plan on leaving one in a garage and having a lightweight double for your errands, get the Mini and something with air tires.

salsah
03-11-2009, 05:57 PM
you can get a parent console (and other accessories) for the mini.