PDA

View Full Version : What to feed 4 y.o. DS when he has intestinal distress (TMI)

Mamma2004
03-11-2009, 06:01 PM
DS was given a slice of pepperoni pizza and two chocolate-covered cream puffs (little ones) from Costco last night. It wasn't my choice and I had a feeling it wasn't a good idea.

Fast forward to this morning: happy with oatmeal, then diarrhea...then nibbled at lunch....repeat bathroom...then felt fine, had a snack....just "exploded" again (his words).

Unlike when we were all sick two months ago, DS acts absolutely fine, has no fever, actually HAS an appetite and says he is not sick.

I clearly don't want to exacerbate his intestinal distress, nor do I wish to starve him.

DS eats an extraordinary diet and has already requested his usual salad and pasta for dinner. I'm afraid....

Any ideas as to what I could give him to both appease his tummy and satisfy his hunger? Dare I allow him to go to school tomorrow if he says he feels great?

Thanks for your input - he's hungry and I don't know what to do!

SnuggleBuggles
03-11-2009, 06:05 PM
I heard that the new advice is to let their appetite be the guide. If they are up for eating certain foods then let them. That's what I have been doing. Only 1 time was it a problem...ds2 threw up ravioli and the pasta sauce was really messy. But, it was the only thing he would eat so we did it.

I hope he feels better!!

Beth

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Banana, helps "bind" things together!
I would avoid the salad, as that could make the tummy worse. It is hard to digest, and has a lot of water.

MamaKath
03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
We stick with the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) for a day or so and then let their appetite guide. As for school, I would only send him if the explosions have past since it can be difficult for little ones to properly clean themselves (wiping and hand washing). Our school has a 24 hour diarrhea free policy.

Mamma2004
03-11-2009, 06:28 PM
DS just told me that he will skip his salad tonight since he doesn't want to explode again. (poor kid!!)

He is, however, hungry for food. I have heard to avoid dairy, but I have also read that yogurt is great for this problem. Does that mean plain yogurt? Vanilla? Fruit? We have it all.

My only bananas are in the freezer for quick smoothies. Is that something that would be good for DS at this point?

Thanks to all of your for your rapid responses. It's just awful when they're sick!

hillview
03-11-2009, 07:55 PM
We stick with the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) for a day or so and then let their appetite guide.

:yeahthat:

We also add gatorade, crackers, bagel etc if they are really hungry.
/hillary

maestramommy
03-11-2009, 09:27 PM
We still do a lot of crackers and water when there's a tummy bug going. The girls like saltines:p And I just found out from my OB's office that apple juice is not recommended because it can make the runs worse. I was giving Arwyn homemade pedialyte with apple juice, but I guess I won't anymore. They did say cheese is good if the stomach can take it, because it's binding.