PDA

View Full Version : Mother Issues

farsk
03-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Two posts in the bitching post in two days? It has to be PMS.....

My mother has some significant issues with boundaries and control. I won't go into past details.

Today, she calls and tells me that she's arranged a play date for my daughter after school. Fine. I don't have a problem with that. She tells me that she'll bring her back approximately one hour after I get off work.

After work, BF and I decide to finish watching the movie we had tried to start watching last night, but two little girls kept us from it.....

Anyway, mom calls when the playdate was over and tells me that she is taking Ellen to her house. I ask if it's OK to pick her up in about 30 minutes, we were almost finished with a movie.

"Sure."

"OK, thanks! I'll see you in just a few minutes"

"OK. Bye"

"Bye"

and as I was lowering the phone to disconnect the call...

"You sure do watch a lot of movies"

????????????????????????????????

I brought the phone back to my ear and said, "What did you say?"

"You sure do watch a lot of movies"

"Um, yeah, people do watch movies"

When it was over, I went to pick El up and just wanted to leave. Of course she makes that impossible.

"So you were watching *another* movie?"

"Yeah"

"What did you watch?"

"Rachel Getting Married"

"Was it good"

"It was interesting..."

"You sure are watching a lot of movies. I never thought you watched that many movies"

"Well mom, what do you think people do when their kids are asleep? I used to watch Law & Order re-runs."

"Well, I just thought you liked reruns"

And on it went.

When I left, she yelled at me out the door, "Try not to be so pissed off the next time you come over."

I was -->thisclose<--to yelling back, "If you don't want me to be pissed off while i'm here, try not pissing me off before I get here!"

Is it really that much preferable that I spend my evenings watching re-runs of Law & Order as opposed to the one disk at a time option from Netflicks? Is Red Box really that repugnant?

Seriously. What gives?

mamaoftwins
03-12-2009, 10:17 AM
What??? I am totally confused my your mom's questions/responses. It makes no sense to me.

Maybe she's trying to get a rec from you on a good movie to watch b/c she would like to start watching more movies? That's all I've got. ;)

kcandz
03-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Classic passive-aggressiveness. Sounds like she at least wants to pick a fight. My mom would totally do this too. I feel your pain.

KBecks
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm so sorry. It's bad because when I'm reading this, and it's not my mom, it's funny, but I know how not funny it is to experience in real life.

I never did a rebellious thing while growing up. My parents are deceased now. I don't know how I would handle it as a grown up. I would try to blow it all off, or tell them that I am very happy living my life the way I want to in a non-emotional kind of way.

Or you can call her up and ask her if she can watch your daughter on Saturday because you want to watch some more movies. :) Can you make a joke of it?

Good luck!

hellokitty
03-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Classic passive-aggressiveness. Sounds like she at least wants to pick a fight. My mom would totally do this too. I feel your pain.

That's what I was thinking too. My mom is a horrible housekeeper. My house is usually pretty clean and when you compare it to her house, my place looks sparkling clean! She came over one time, pointed to one tiny spot on our HW floor and told me it was dirty. I was pretty pissed off, b/c if you have ever seen my parents' house, the floor is like STICKY on a normal basis... so to pick at me over one tiny spot on our normally pristine floors was just ANNOYING! She's also said stuff when she comes over about how, "abnormal" it is to have a house clean when I have young children. One time, she came over and my house was a mess, b/c I was just having a bad day and too tired to clean, she said, "This looks like a normal house now." Yeah mom, I guess that just b/c your house is always a mess, it bugs you to see that other ppl actually CLEAN their house!

farsk
03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
I truly have no idea why on earth she would want to pick a fight other than she's always done that.

It astounds and irritates me.