PDA

View Full Version : Baby containment device?

KrisM
03-12-2009, 11:09 AM
After the saucer and the jumperoo, what can I use? I don't have a ton of space, but I need somewhere to put DS that he will like. I want it big enough for him to play in and for him to easily see the other kids. It'll get used for 2 reasons. First, so I can run up for laundry or whatever. Second when the other kids are doing something that DS2 is just in the way for - today they were building with Magnatiles, and while they can do it where DS is, he kept knocking them down.

I don't want a pack n play because I think it's too blocking of his view and he'd be stuck in too small of a place. He wouldn't be able to stand and look out.

MoJo
03-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I just thought I'd share that my DD can easily see out of her PNP when sitting/on her tummy with her head raised (she loves to watch the dogs), and I actually put her in there this weekend thinking maybe she'd actually take her nap since she couldn't stand (nothing to pull up on). . . however, she WAS standing and looking over the top within 5 minutes.

elliput
03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Superyard with an extension. I don't even know where to start with regards to how much I like the superyard.

g-mama
03-12-2009, 12:58 PM
There was some good information on here last week about simply using a blanket and a switch. ;)

Totally kidding, of course.

SnuggleBuggles
03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
We use a pack n play with no trouble.

I have heard good things about this:
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6193&parentCategoryId=85185&categoryId=85224

Beth

brittone2
03-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I used the PNP so I could shower once DS and DD grew out of the bouncy seat. We never had a saucer, bumbo, jumperoo, or swing, but the PNP or a superyard are the only things I can think of that are safe for older and more mobile babies.

missym
03-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Superyard with an extension. I don't even know where to start with regards to how much I like the superyard.

:yeahthat: We loved our Superyard. We used it inside the house, in the yard, camping...

hillview
03-12-2009, 03:55 PM

:yeahthat:
/hillary

KrisM
03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
We use a pack n play with no trouble.

I have heard good things about this:
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6193&parentCategoryId=85185&categoryId=85224

Beth

I like that one!

I'll think about that or the superyard.

How long will a baby play in a pack n play? I've only used them for sleeping, really. Are they happy for longer periods, say 20-30 minutes? I was thinking he'd want more room to crawl, cruise, etc than a pnp would offer. But, since I have one of those, maybe I'll give it a shot since it worked for others.

clc053103
03-12-2009, 07:18 PM
There was some good information on here last week about simply using a blanket and a switch. ;)

LOL I read that thread!!!!

We had a superyard as well. It confined but DS didn't seem to notice it!

JTsMom
03-13-2009, 10:43 AM

You totally owe me a new keyboard.

o_mom
03-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I like that one!

I'll think about that or the superyard.

How long will a baby play in a pack n play? I've only used them for sleeping, really. Are they happy for longer periods, say 20-30 minutes? I was thinking he'd want more room to crawl, cruise, etc than a pnp would offer. But, since I have one of those, maybe I'll give it a shot since it worked for others.

If you search, I did a comparison of the Superyard and the Playzone. The SY was my favorite by far, especially if you are paying full price. The SY is very easy to attach toys to the side with links or even plastic wire ties. It is also far more open and see-through than the PZ. Rotate toys often and don't try to use it any more than you have to. One other option is to put the older kids in it - let them build the magnatiles in there where the baby can't get to them.

wendibird22
03-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Another vote for the superyard. A total life saver during the rolling, crawling, and pulling up stages. It's plenty big enough for baby to have room to move around and practice all those new skills and yet not so huge that eats up the room. We used it for those times when we were cooking, had to use the bathroom, etc and also to keep our dog from licking DD to death. Now that she can defend herself we let them play together ;).

And once we stopped using it to "contain" DD, we opened it up and used it to block off areas we didn't want DD to go.

MoJo
03-13-2009, 11:40 AM
My DD will play in her PNP for 20-30 minutes, especially if the time before/after was very hands-on, and if she can see me. I do leave her in it for 5-10 minutes to do laundry (in the basement) and she's usually fine with that, as long as she has something to manipulate. . . although her new favorite is simply standing up, standing, waving, falling down, repeating!

I told DH last night that her PNP days may be limited though when I saw her attempting "chin-ups!" I think that was just because she was at the end, where she can't quite see over the rail yet. . . she can see over the sides fine.

I may have to check out the superyard for the future, but the PNP is working for now.

hellokitty
03-13-2009, 01:15 PM
We used a superyard XT. Loved it. I know that there is also one that has play things built into the walls for the baby to play with, but I have no clue what brand it is. It does exist though...

clb
03-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Here is o_mom's comparison:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=293675

I ended up getting a good deal on the PZ on CL. The PZ has toys in the panel. We used it without the batteries because the music is extremely LOUD.

MommyAllison
03-17-2009, 01:38 AM
DS hates the PnP usually, but enjoys his high chair - that's his best spot when DD is doing something he can't be around. Probably not good for 20-30 minute stretches though!