PDA

View Full Version : Called the doc, waiting for call back

shawnandangel
03-12-2009, 12:08 PM
DD is 5 mo. Today, for the second time this week, she was drinking her bottle about to fall asleep, eyes closed. She has what seems like a spasm in her arms. They involunarily shake. Just her arms not the rest of her body.

They shake for 5-10 sec and then stop. She does not wake up during this, she does not seem bothered by it at all. She continues to suck on the bottle while this happens.

I am totally freaked out though. The first time she did it I thought maybe it was a dream or something and didn't think much of it. That was 2 days ago. Now she did it again and I called the Ped. The nurse said she wanted to consult the doctor and they would call me back.

Has anyone else experienced this with an infant?

missym
03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
It's been long enough that I'm having trouble remembering details, but Becca used to have these little shaking episodes when she was on the verge of drifting off to sleep while nursing. It was her head that would shake, not her arms, but it was more than a shiver and didn't seem voluntary. It would go on for maybe 10-20 seconds per episode. I want to say it was around that same age. Her ped didn't seem worried about it as long as that's the only time it happened (but he's a pretty laid back kind of guy). She eventually outgrew it.

shawnandangel
03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
I just got a call back from the ped. She said it was normal as long as it didn't last longer than 30 secs to 1 min. She told me to hold her arm firmly when it happened and if it stops it is normal. If it continues she wants to see her for a checkup, but right now she says normal.

I am so glad! I was in tears when I wrote my post I was so worried. Thanks for your reassuring post missym!

buddyleebaby
03-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I just wanted to send you hugs. :hug:
Glad all is well.

elektra
03-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I'll have to remember this. When you said it was only her arms that were shaking, that did seem a bit less concerning. For generalized seizures it would be the whole body shaking. Glad to hear the doc thinks it's nothing serious!

brittone2
03-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Glad everything seems okay. Little ones often just have immature neurological systems that do funky stuff like that. Hopefully you are feeling reassured :hug:

niccig
03-12-2009, 01:04 PM
I just got a call back from the ped. She said it was normal as long as it didn't last longer than 30 secs to 1 min. She told me to hold her arm firmly when it happened and if it stops it is normal. If it continues she wants to see her for a checkup, but right now she says normal.

I am so glad! I was in tears when I wrote my post I was so worried. Thanks for your reassuring post missym!

If she continues to do it, I would videotape it, so you can show the Dr. what it looks like. Friends did this with their 12 month old, he was having seizures, but never when they took him to the Dr. and they had a difficult time explaining what was happening.

It sounds like it's normal. Good.

DrSally
03-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Is it a shake or a shiver? I know babies sometimes shiver b/c their nervous systems are still maturing.

ETA: Glad everything's ok!

shawnandangel
03-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I gave her another bottle about an hour ago, her left arm started to do it a little bit so I did what the Ped said, I firmly grabbed her arm and it immediately stopped.

Thanks everyone for your responses! Sometimes this mom business is so scary!

missym
03-13-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm glad you're feeling better about it now! I remember how freaked out I was the first time Becca started shaking like that, and I was sure she was having a seizure. Our little ones certainly know how to keep us guessing! :hug5:

MamaMolly
03-13-2009, 11:05 AM
I just wanted to add my two cents. DD had a head shake thing she did that completely freaked me out (DH's family has a history of seisure disorders~found it out when DD started this!! :eek:) and her ped had me describe it and said it was normal for some babies because of the immature nervous system. If she continued to do it past either 6 or 9 months (I can't remember, sorry) then he'd look into it further but not to worry otherwise. HTH