PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Mama's Daily Deal?

Mommy2Abby
03-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know what happened to mamasdailydeal.com? I thought it was a relatively new site and then all of a sudden a few days ago I got an email about the "last of the deals" and then today, the site says it is now closed.

As far as daily deal sites, my favorite is definitely still babysteals.com.

Carrots
03-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I think someone posted recently that they received an email announcing that the website had been ordered to close because it was too similar to another baby deal of the day website (don't quote me on that).

It is too bad. I really like these "deal of the day" websites.

3blackcats
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
IMO it is not close at all to another sites name.

Here's the email I received the day I found the site :-(
Hello,

I have some bad news to share with you, unfortunately...

Thanks to our wonderful legal system in the US, we are being forced to shut down Mama's Daily Deal as soon as we sell out of our remaining inventory (probably a couple days from now).

We were contacted by another daily deals "bargains" website that has a similar name to us, and they threatened to sue us for using a similar name and potentially causing confusion in the marketplace between customers and suppliers.

I won't name any names of who this company is that wants to sue us, but I did want to personally thank you for your support in this (relatively short) website's lifetime.

We simply wanted to be able to provide hard working people like yourself with amazingly cheap prices on quality products, but we are no longer able to do this due to the legal threat.

It's a shame our system is setup the way it is. It won't be worth the cost to fight the lawsuit even if we did win, considering attorney's will be charging us $250 per hour to defend ourselves over this nonsense lawsuit.

We've decided to just shut it down and move on.

With that said, if you or anyone you know needs baby supplies (mostly strollers, high chairs, swings and a couple bedding sets left), feel free to send them over to our site in the next day or two until we sell out of all our inventory.

http://www.MamasDailyDeal.com

You'll know when we sell out when the "out of business" sign goes up :(

Thanks again for everything. Wish we could have had a longer relationship together...

Melinda

Mommy2Abby
03-12-2009, 03:18 PM
ah - thanks for the clarification. yeah, i really like these daily deal sites. oh, well.

Binkandabee
03-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Too bad.

If it were me, I'd continue on until I was presented with a Cease and Desist Order.

Carrots
03-12-2009, 03:58 PM
IMO it is not close at all to another sites name.

I agree.

Ridiculous.

Ceepa
03-12-2009, 04:19 PM
That other site sucks. :thumbsdown:

veronica
03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I can't believe that "other site" . They are absolutely horrible and I hope they see their sales go way down. Wish we could organize a cease and desist of their crappy site.....Oh, I guess I might see an attorney pop up on my doorstep suing me for libel......

srkaplan
03-12-2009, 05:23 PM
That's ridiculous & sad! Threatening letters are a dime a dozen & it's not uncommon for people to send them hoping that the recipient complies with their wishes, but never actually intending to sue (because it costs them big $$ also). I would have waited to actually see if they went through with it...

calebsmama03
03-12-2009, 05:31 PM
That's ridiculous & sad! Threatening letters are a dime a dozen & it's not uncommon for people to send them hoping that the recipient complies with their wishes, but never actually intending to sue (because it costs them big $$ also). I would have waited to actually see if they went through with it...

Absolutely! I would have said, "Show me the registered TM with a letter from an attorney and THEN I'll entertain your request." Sad for them.

Nechums
03-12-2009, 10:44 PM
If you ask me, it seems like a cop out. It seems like they wanted to close for some other reason and just used this as an excuse.

katerinasmom
03-13-2009, 07:50 AM
If you ask me, it seems like a cop out. It seems like they wanted to close for some other reason and just used this as an excuse.

I totally agree with Nechums. They could have changed their name if they were really concerned about a lawsuit over a name. Setting up a business requires an investment and it is unlikely that they would just cave like that if they were doing well and there was no other reason to close than the mere threat of a lawsuit.

Melaine
03-13-2009, 07:52 AM
That other site sucks. :thumbsdown:

:yeahthat:

mnosky1
03-13-2009, 10:21 PM
I ordered from this site and got an awesome stroller in 3 days and great communication. The other site, I got rude emails both times I asked a question. It actually turned me off from all daily deals sites - until my good experience with this one.