PDA

View Full Version : Favorite heavy-duty stroller?

bw52
03-12-2009, 03:01 PM
OK. So I've finally decided that I might have to get 2 strollers--one for walks and long-day outings and another lightweight one for the car/stores. I don't care about the car stroller now, because I won't use that one until the baby is 6+ months old.

So, what is your favorite stroller that is sturdy, maybe easy to unfold/fold (I seem to have issues with this), and comfortable for the baby? I plan to use only this stroller for the first 6 months, so I would have to lug it out of the car for that long, but no longer, so weight isn't as important as it once was. I want it sturdy enough for a newborn and then after 6 months I'll coninue to use it for walks and day trips. Oh, and b/c I'll use it with a newborn, I REALLY want a full recline. I want to be able to take the baby out 2 days after being born if I wanted to (granted, I know I won't this soon, but I just want the option).

I've seen the Pliko Switch and it looked like a decent option. I like the idea of a reversible seat, but is it worth it cost-wise? The P3 seems a coulple hundred $ cheaper without it.
Also, I want to try out the Zippy, but haven't found it anywhere yet.
I know there must be other good options, though!

Oh, and not bugaboo or anything that expensive. $500 would be the max. And I don't really like the "spaceshippy" looking ones. I guess that's just me, though. That's what I thought the BOB Rev looked like. But nothing against those who like that sort of thing. :)

What would you recommend?

Hawkeyewife
03-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I have a 6 year old Peg Perego Venezia. It has been everywhere. I originally bought it new for my 6 yr old, then used it for my 2nd and 3rd child. I love that the handle is reversible (unlike the Switch where you have to take the body out to reverse the seat), that there is a good-sized footplate for big brother/sisiter to stand on, and that the fabric is removable and washes beautifully. Sad to say, Peg no longer makes the Venezia, but now makes the Uno which looks very similar. I would like to get a new one before #4 arrives this fall but if I can't find one I like, he/she will be in my trusty Venezia.

PS I do have a triple jogging stroller and a Iglesina Twin Swift which I bought when #2 arrived, but I have never needed another stroller, the Venezia has been great and gone EVERYWHERE!

lefarrell
03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Where do you live and what kind of terrain will you be walking on? My experience is based on urban living, with lots of cobblestones, strairways and curbs. For long walks with lots of potential curbs, uneven sidewalks etc. I would suggest something with big back wheels. They really smooth the ride for the little one, and can't be beat for navigating curbs, bumps etc. I started with a Zippy, but my DS, who was use to being in a front carry facing mom didn't like not being able to see me. I lucked into a used Bugaboo Frog (I know you didn't want to hear that word) and it is THE BEST. I tried going back to my Zippy when DS got a little older, mainly just to use on the bus and I could not stand it. Even before my Frog experience the handles were uncomfortable, and I'm the standard stroller height of 5'6". I also didn't like that when I took a normal stride my feet hit the back of the stroller. When I tried it for a second time with my 16lbs DS the handling was like a tank! I thought I was trying to push a ton of bricks, not 16lbs. So my suggestion is a stroller with big back wheels, and there are many options, but Bugaboos are fantastic and used ones are easy to find, especially if you only plan on using it for 6 months.

bubbaray
03-16-2009, 11:31 AM
MBUS would get my vote. Switch would be second and P3 third. However, I can't imagine NOT having a AT stroller in the stable.

ellies mom
03-16-2009, 11:50 AM
I used my Zippy from day one with my oldest until she was four and it suffered an unfortunate series of accidents. I really wish I had replaced it with another Zippy rather than the P3.

I used my Valco Tri-mode from day one with my youngest (and the P3). I bought the Valco several months before my oldest turned three so it has already earned its keep.

I did not enjoy long walks with the Zippy and I don't think I'd like to use the Valco as a car stroller for even 6 months. Does the Mac Quest lay flat enough? If I could do it over, I'd have either gotten another Zippy or the Mac Quest.

AnnieW625
03-16-2009, 02:09 PM
We had a Dreamer Design Slingshot 16" fixed front wheel jogger for our neighborhood walks/jogs, and an occaisional 5K race. It was a great stroller and we would've been lost without it. Our other everyday stroller was a MAC Triumph. Since Dreamer Design is no longer in business BOB will probably get our business for our double jogger.

We recently bought an UppaBaby Vista (2007 model used on Craigslist) and have been very happy with it. DD almost three also really likes the stroller too. It handles long walks well however I miss my jogger (straps got too tight for DD and she figured out how to get out of them) for the long walks. IMHO there is nothing like a good jogger even for walking.

strollerqueen
03-16-2009, 02:34 PM
MBUS would get my vote. Switch would be second and P3 third. However, I can't imagine NOT having a AT stroller in the stable.

ITA! Or if you want to go smaller, and have the $$$, check out the new MB Swift.

bw52
03-16-2009, 02:58 PM
I know I should know this, but the MBUS is what?

MamaKath
03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I know I should know this, but the MBUS is what?
Mountain Buggy Urban Single- Great strollers!!!

http://www.mountainbuggy.com/

I am also a fan of Pegs if you are not offroading. Love the P3, Switch and Uno.

codex57
03-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah, if you're not offroading, I'm loving my Zippy. Nearly full recline (makes a great changing table on the go), MONSTER canopy (great for sleeping or bad weather/wind), and so stable, you can hang an elephant off the handles and it still won't tip.

The Bugaboo is a complete waste of money the more I think about it. Ours is just sitting in the garage collecting dust. Sure it's SUPER smooth, but the seat itself leaves a lot to be desired and it takes up a ton of room folded.

The jogging strollers just take up too much room and weigh a bit too much IMO. Plus, many don't work that well with infants. THat said, you may want to check out the Baby Jogger City Mini. That's my other "favorite" do it all stroller along with the Zippy. It's not as plush as the Zippy, but it offroads better.

bw52
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
So, when you say "off-roading" do you mean not going to go off-roading most of the time or ANY of the time?

For example, I plan on taking this stroller on sidewalks around the neighborhood for the most part. That's really what I want it for. Oh, and walking around the zoo and places like that, etc... But occasionally (and this would really only be once in a while), I will probably walk along the washes over the bumpy dirt. But that would really be hardly ever. I guess if we wanted to go across the wash to get the the next neighborhod, etc... (I live in the dessert--AZ.). It seems like this would be so rare that it wouldn't be smart to get an AT (for the $). But then again, I really don't know. (This is our first). I just know we're probably going to have to get a double stroller about a year later, so I don't want to spend too much money on a single.

Would strollers like Zipppy or Pegs work for this?

Thanks for all your help!

Oh, and one other thing, how important is it to have a reversible seat or handlebar? I really like this option, but do kids really care?

neeleymartin
03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I guess if we wanted to go across the wash to get the the next neighborhod, etc... (I live in the dessert--AZ.)

what is "the wash"?

bw52
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
what is "the wash"?

I live in the dessert, with monsoon season in the summers, so we have washes around here for the monsoons. Most of the year they are like dried-up river beds, so you can walk through them and then they get full for about a month or two. Basically, it's just a place for the water to run so we don't flood.

bubbaray
03-17-2009, 10:05 PM
*I* would prefer an AT for most of what you describe. Then again, I have a few strollers to pick from. LOL ;)

I use my P3 as an out and about stroller -- dr's visits (great when I have both girls with me, one is on the step, one in the seat), malls -- it lives in my van. I recently sold my MBUS (boo hoo -- but I got what I paid for it!). We still have a BOB Revolution as our AT single.

For a newborn and up, the MBUS is my favorite AT. For older riders, I prefer the BOB (steering is better with heavier child, but I don't like the recline as much for newborns and there is no bassinette).

lefarrell
03-27-2009, 02:09 AM
I like the rear facing option and reversible handle bar. Being able to move the handle bar lets me easily use my stroller as a high chair, especially when one isn't available, or is too gross to touch. Having the rear facing option lets me interact with my son, and have a good handle on how the elements are affecting him.

You might be okay with a Zippy, Peg, Mac, or other 4 same sized wheel stroller, but put a 20lb bag of flour in one, and then try to push it around the block. Compared to an AT type stroller there is no comparison.

With regard to if there is an advantage or not to rear facing, there is recent buzz regarding the effects of seat orientation on children. A child advocacy group Talk to Your Baby has recently released a 36 page study regarding life in a stroller and the impact of seat orientation. Below are links to two articles, plus the site to download the report itself.

Article "One Ride Forward, Two Steps Back"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/opini ... .html?_r=1

Article "Forward or Rearfacing Pushchair or Pram, What is the best direction for baby/buggy orientation?"
http://baby-products.suite101.com/artic ... ir_or_pram

Talk to Your Baby report
http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/talktoy ... earch.html