PDA

View Full Version : &*%$ Womens Hiking Shorts

StantonHyde
03-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I am so SICK of how designers now make womens hiking shorts. They are all low rise, tight, no pockets and tight legs. Umm, I am backpacking the Grand Canyon. For some reason, I think I am concerned about not dying of heat exhaustion. "Do these shorts make my butt look fat?" doesn't exactly cross my mind as I am huffing up the trail!!

I finally tried on men's shorts. Wow. Pockets, lots of pockets. An elastic waist that you can cinch or loosen. And long and baggy and---wait for it, comfortable. Who would have thought of putting such features in hiking shorts??:banghead:

bubbaray
03-12-2009, 09:35 PM
LL Bean? REI???? Patagonia??????

Sorry, can't help more unless you want to purchase some during your trip to Vancouver -- MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop) is about a 10 minute taxi ride from your hotel. They should have a decent selection

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743 02703409&bmUID=1236908120922

StantonHyde
03-12-2009, 11:37 PM
I SCOURED REI today and a local place. I am considering ordering some shorts from Title 9 and LL Bean and seeing if they work. The trip is in April and the Vancouver trip in Oct. But I may have to check out that store.

infomama
03-13-2009, 12:36 AM
I know they are $$ but have you checked out Patagonia?
http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/product_focus.jsp?OPTION=PRODUCT_FOCUS_DISPLAY_HAN DLER&catcode=MAIN_SP_US.CLOTHING_GEAR.WOMENS.SHORTS&style_color=57056-032&ws=
http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/product_focus.jsp?OPTION=PRODUCT_FOCUS_DISPLAY_HAN DLER&catcode=MAIN_SP_US.CLOTHING_GEAR.WOMENS.SHORTS.ACT IVE/TECHNICAL&style_color=57611-649&ws=

maestramommy
03-13-2009, 07:26 AM
I have two pairs of REI zipoff pants. You can zip off the legs if you want shorts. VERY comfy, with pockets. Thin for air circulation. I almost never zip off the legs because I want the sun protection. But the option is there.

Sugar Magnolia
03-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I'll third Patagonia. You can usually find their clothing on other sites that will take coupon codes too! But I have no problem paying full price for comfortable clothing that lasts!

hellokitty
03-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't blame you for going the men's route. That's what I probably would have done too. I find that they make the men's clothing more comfy than womens stuff a lot of time, b/c they focus less on how, "pretty" it looks and more on function and comfort. I figure if you are into hiking, looking pretty is not exactly high on your list of priorities...

niccig
03-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't blame you for going the men's route. That's what I probably would have done too. I find that they make the men's clothing more comfy than womens stuff a lot of time, b/c they focus less on how, "pretty" it looks and more on function and comfort. I figure if you are into hiking, looking pretty is not exactly high on your list of priorities...

Yeah this. I don't get the designers. I like to hike and I want to be comfortable and I don't like short, tight shorts - they are just not comfortable and no one behind me needs to see my wobbling cellulite laden thighs as I'm huffing up the trail.

I second the zip off pants. I Love those. I get cold easily, so I can always put them back on as needed. They're normally a little longer too and some have cargo pockets

StantonHyde
03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
I have always used the REI zip off pants. But the pair I got for last year was cut really narrow in the leg, so when you sit down or scramble over boulders, they restrict movement, cut into your leg. I just hate tight clothes---especially when exercising. Patagonia has great stuff--but no long hiking shorts. They had the one pair but the fit was off.

I got a pair of mens REI zip off pants and I think they are going to be great. They might be a little big, but they have an elastic/cinch waist so that should be fine.

And what is it with stretch hiking shorts?? Like I want tight fitting shorts that give some while I move? Um, the last thing I need is anything tight when I am hiking.

I feel like they should have an in between store for those of us who are no longer 20 but not in plus sizes and not relegated to the couch. hmph.

cono0507
03-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I feel like they should have an in between store for those of us who are no longer 20 but not in plus sizes and not relegated to the couch. hmph.

Amen!

I found myself in a similar predicament while shopping for our upcoming hiking trip to AZ. Ended up buying 2 pairs of North Face zip off pants on the sale rack at REI (I'm assuming that Sedona at the end of March will still require pants for the most part, but I could be wrong). I also have a pair of Patagonia shorts I bought back in 2001 that are baggy with the cinchable waist.

It is nice to know I'm not the only one frustrated with this stuff!

niccig
03-13-2009, 04:43 PM
I have always used the REI zip off pants. But the pair I got for last year was cut really narrow in the leg, so when you sit down or scramble over boulders, they restrict movement, cut into your leg.

I think you really have to try on a number of styles to find pants/shorts that aren't too narrow cut...that seems to be how they make them for women. Or go for the mens.

trales
03-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I love my Patagonia baggies shorts and my MEC river shorts and pants. Baggy, nice elastic, pockets, dry fast ect.

StantonHyde
03-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I love the baggies, too. But for backpacking, I need shorts that are really durable. I have not so fond memories of backpacking for 3 days with split seams--not matter how much duct tape!!!! And all those pockets--I want at least 6 pockets.

maestramommy
03-13-2009, 09:59 PM
My REI zipoffs had two pockets on each side. One was the regular pocket, then there was a small one zipped into the original pocket. I don't know if REI changed the shape of their pants but when I bought mine (02) they were very loose fitting, esp. around the thigh. They are practically indestructible. Almost. I took a scraping fall while climbing and tore a small hole in the little pocket. It wouldn't have happened if I didn't have my lip balm in there :rolleye0014:

squimp
03-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes those Patagucci shorts can be hilariously tight and weird looking. I had a pair back when I wore an 8 (and even then it was questionable whether I should have worn them).

Gramicci - that is my favorite hiking short. Not too ugly, simple and comfortable.

StantonHyde
03-14-2009, 05:03 PM
I like Gramicci too but they are cotton. Cotton is awful if it gets wet, and it feels totally gross when you sweat all over it. For backpacking and hiking, I have to go with synthetics anymore--coolmax is wonderful. Just no stretch please!!

trales
03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Have you tried the Baggies longs by Patagonia. I backpacked for a semester in them and they really held up well. I then sailed to Venezuela in them from Cape Cod. I still wear them. Maybe you had a bum pair.

If you can get to Canada try the MEC pants, very, very nice.

I don't like zip off ones b/c of chaff on my inner thighs when I walk.

urquie
03-14-2009, 09:27 PM
I like Gramicci too but they are cotton. Cotton is awful if it gets wet, and it feels totally gross when you sweat all over it. For backpacking and hiking, I have to go with synthetics anymore--coolmax is wonderful. Just no stretch please!!

i love the gramicci quick dry shorts, which are made of nylon! they are cheaper at rei, but they don't have a pic up right now.
http://www.gramicci.com/quick-original-short-p-2540.html

when i need more pockets, especially with zippers and velcro, i go for the rei sahara shorts - they are basically the zip off pants minus the legs. i think the stand alone shorts are slightly longer than the top part of the zip off pants. i wear the men's or women's... depending on what's on sale. :)
http://www.rei.com/search?query=REI+Sahara+Shorts+&button.x=50&button.y=11

these two types are the only shorts i own - love em'!