PDA

View Full Version : DD#1, Pullups at night are for accidents, not when you're awake!

bubbaray
03-13-2009, 12:14 AM
AHHHHHHH, I might seriously lose my mind. DD#1 is not night PTd. She will be 5 next month. OK, so until they are 6, the dr's don't care. EXCEPT, she has folliculitis caused by wearing Pullups and her pediatric dermatologist SAYS she needs out of the Pullups. GREAT IDEA, why didn't I think of that. Sigh.

This child is never going to be PTd. Do you want to know why? BECAUSE SHE PEES IN HER PULLUPS WHEN SHE IS FREAKIN' AWAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHH

I could cut her some slack if she didn't have the bladder control -- I get that some kids don't. I really think with her, she's just too damn lazy to get out of bed. Oh, but she'll come downstairs if she wants to stall going to sleep.

AAHHHHHHH. GRRRRR.

At this rate, DD#2 will be nighttime PTd before DD#1.

sarahsthreads
03-13-2009, 12:49 AM
I *so* feel your pain. DD1 (4.5) will not only pee in her pull-up when she's awake, but *poop* in it as well. The kid's been daytime trained for almost TWO YEARS. But once that nighttime pull-up hits her butt she figures walking 10 feet down the hall to the bathroom is too much work. :irked: I mean, she can't possibly enjoy sitting in a pooped-in, usually leaking (ugh) pull-up, right?!? So why the heck does she keep doing it at least once a week?

But she needs it while sleeping. Once she's finally asleep (a whole other b!tching post issue) I'll check on her and she'll be bone dry. By morning she's soaked - even if I go in before she's awake and check.

I'm just hoping she'll be night time trained before she goes to college...

Good luck!

Sarah :)

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-13-2009, 02:34 AM
We finally went out and bought dd1 goodnights. She's 6 and still wears one to bed every night. Some mornings she wakes up dry,some not. But after changing sheets every night,sometimes multiple times a night, we relented. The pediatrician said not to worry even at 6 and that the bed wetting was probably hurting her self-esteem more than helping.
We used to have the pull-up pooping,pee in it when awake issue as well. We had to have a discussion about night time usage of the pull-up. She finally got the hint.
As for the folliculitis have you considered trying the goodnights or the pampers brand of pull-ups? Don't know if it would help or not.

Good luck.

niccig
03-13-2009, 04:07 AM
Can you put her in underwear and then wake her to go to the bathroom before you go to bed, around 10 or 11pm? DS is better at staying dry, but on nights where I think he's had too much liquid or is too tired, I'll take him before I go to sleep.

My Dr. said it's all about how deep they sleep, they brain doesn't register the "bladder is full" signal.

Hope you can work something out...

bnme
03-13-2009, 07:42 AM
I feel your pain. I have two DS's who wear pull-ups at night (4.5 & 6). When they wake up if they do not put on underwear right away they may or may not decide to pee in them. Uugh. I guess they figure 'Hey, why not!'. And they are early risers, like 5:30-6, so it's partially my fault for not making it more of a priority.

I am begining to wonder if they (well the 6yo really) will ever be dry at night without putting them in the underwear first. Not willing to cross that bridge!

I'll add a pull-up bitch of my own....My 4.5yo still poops in a pull-up but he wears underwear and has been pee trained for over a year. He just refuses to sit on the potty and I don't make an issue of it because he is very strong-willed.

ladysoapmaker
03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
she's just too damn lazy to get out of bed. .

Yeah, my DS#2 & DD#1 did the same thing. I solved it by making them wear underwear and every time they had an accident AFTER they woke up (DD#1 bed is next to the door next to our room, easy enough to doublecheck when she's awake, DS#2 had the same room when he was PT) they had to launder their sheets and underwear. This means they had to strip the bed, carry the sheets down to the laundry room load the washer and Mommy (or Daddy) got to push the buttons (Boy, did they really hated that). It took maybe a week. Now we did have some issues later (when DD#1 had a growth spurt but it happened when she was sleeping).

Hopefully you can get it fixed soon.

bubbaray
03-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks ladies.

Yes, we have tried different brands of pullups (using the term in the generic sense) -- DD#1 did have an allergy to Huggies diapers in the past. We have seen no difference in her folliculitis symptoms with different brands. Her ped. derm. says its the wetness and urine that is the problem, not the brand of diapers. Unfortunately, that dr hasn't given us any suggestions as to how to actually get her out of pullups. She has implied that we should just to it, but EVERY.SINGLE.TIME we have tried that, she wets the bed and gets REALLY upset. She is a very very deep sleeper, so I think she just d/n wake up when she feels the urge. I get that -- its the "before she is even asleep peeing" that drives me NUTS.

I've tried backing right off and that makes no difference. Sometimes she pees right through the pullups. That is fun, particularly when we're on vacation and the hotel beds don't have waterproof covers. Ugh.

We've tried waking her before we go to bed, but it d/n make a difference. Plus, she is hard to get back to sleep -- she's always had sleep issues this child. And, on top of it, she gets night terrors. Sooooo much fun. Not.

She's quite the worrier, too, so I'm trying not to stress her about this, but still. Just don't pee in the pullup when you're awake. Its just that simple. AHHHHHH.

I haven't seen Goodnights here, though I've heard people talk about them. I'll have to look again.

niccig
03-13-2009, 01:53 PM
She has implied that we should just to it, but EVERY.SINGLE.TIME we have tried that, she wets the bed and gets REALLY upset. She is a very very deep sleeper, so I think she just d/n wake up when she feels the urge.

Yep, that's the problem. They're in such a deep sleep. I was all fine for DS to wear pull-ups for years. But one day he said he wanted underpants as the pull-ups were uncomfortable. He did have accidents, and I hated having to change everything. I have one of those mattress pads that go over the fitted sheet, and most times I just need to change that and DS. But they've been times when everything, including the comforter and cover needed to be washed....not happy when it's a few nights in a week. But today DS woke up and happily told us that he hasn't peed in a while...a few weeks...so maybe we've turned a corner...but that mattress pad is staying on.

lizajane
03-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks ladies.

Yes, we have tried different brands of pullups (using the term in the generic sense) -- DD#1 did have an allergy to Huggies diapers in the past. We have seen no difference in her folliculitis symptoms with different brands. Her ped. derm. says its the wetness and urine that is the problem, not the brand of diapers. Unfortunately, that dr hasn't given us any suggestions as to how to actually get her out of pullups. She has implied that we should just to it, but EVERY.SINGLE.TIME we have tried that, she wets the bed and gets REALLY upset. She is a very very deep sleeper, so I think she just d/n wake up when she feels the urge. I get that -- its the "before she is even asleep peeing" that drives me NUTS.

I've tried backing right off and that makes no difference. Sometimes she pees right through the pullups. That is fun, particularly when we're on vacation and the hotel beds don't have waterproof covers. Ugh.

We've tried waking her before we go to bed, but it d/n make a difference. Plus, she is hard to get back to sleep -- she's always had sleep issues this child. And, on top of it, she gets night terrors. Sooooo much fun. Not.

She's quite the worrier, too, so I'm trying not to stress her about this, but still. Just don't pee in the pullup when you're awake. Its just that simple. AHHHHHH.

I haven't seen Goodnights here, though I've heard people talk about them. I'll have to look again.

how about a cloth overnight diaper? schuyler got a prickly heat type rash from goognights, so we got the mother of eden overnight pull in diaper. he was a lot more comfortable and it still held when he did wet it. i think they are called overnight undies??

Kidrepair
03-13-2009, 05:22 PM
You might want to try Under Jams, they are made by Pampers....I too have an overnight wetter,and she will also still pee in them while awake after putting them on, I will read her a book before bed and there are times I notice she is wet when tucking her in after the book...so frustrating...The Goodnites, we have found to be huge, my dd is 5.5 and not tiny, she's already 45lbs. and the goodnites look ridiculous on her, we much prefer the cut of the under jams...so far I've only been able to find the S/M at Target.