PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy to want this?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
www.napnanny.com

It seems awesome but I have never heard of anyone who actually has one. DD1 had reflux and this would have been awesome! The price tag is steep, but I think I could get one of the grandparents to get it if I really wanted it! Does anyone actually have one? Too bad they only sell online because I would love to be able to pick one up in a store and try it out!

hellokitty
03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
It looks like an infant carseat, swing or bouncy could serve the same purpose...

katerinasmom
03-13-2009, 01:27 PM
If you are crazy than I must be too because I don't even have a child young enough for that anymore and I still want one. Yes you could accomplish the same thing with a swing or carseat but I like that you can put this in the crib. Looks so much better than that useless awful wedge that both of my kids slid right off of. I didn't really want my kids sleeping in the carseat or swing at night because I wanted them to learn to sleep in their cribs. But that price tag is really steep though. So I'd let someone else be the guinnea pig. I would be kicking myself if I spent $130 just to find out it's useful life is only 2-3 months. Once the baby starts to roll over, I imagine you'd have to remove it. But then again, maybe they'll take longer to roll over if they are so comfy in the napnanny.

JTsMom
03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I have a couple of thoughts- first, the fact that it's made of foam would concern me. Isn't foam supposed to off-gas something really bad? (That's sooo scientific-lol, but I don't know the details.) Second, I agree with pp about the swing/infant seat. Third, if I wanted the baby to sleep in the crib, I'd probably get a wedge the width of the crib so the baby couldn't roll off, OR elevate one end of the mattress.

katerinasmom
03-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I have a couple of thoughts- first, the fact that it's made of foam would concern me. Isn't foam supposed to off-gas something really bad? (That's sooo scientific-lol, but I don't know the details.) Second, I agree with pp about the swing/infant seat. Third, if I wanted the baby to sleep in the crib, I'd probably get a wedge the width of the crib so the baby couldn't roll off, OR elevate one end of the mattress.

I've tried both of these methods and both of my kids would end up sliding down the other end of the crib where it was flat. Perhaps I just have two kids with the wiggly jigglies. Now that they are bigger they do still move around A LOT when they sleep - both ending up in all different directions.

maestramommy
03-13-2009, 01:52 PM
If I had a reflux baby and was at the end of my rope, I might get it. It's probably much more comfy than a carseat. When Arwyn had reflux we used the baby bathtub, and that worked pretty well though. She slept in it for almost a month.

KrisM
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I want it and DS2 is 8 months! I can put him down easily in his carseat if he falls asleep on me and he'll stay asleep. If I put him in the crib or on the floor, he wakes right up. I was thinking this could solve it! Too bad it's not $20 :(.

JTsMom
03-13-2009, 02:09 PM
I've tried both of these methods and both of my kids would end up sliding down the other end of the crib where it was flat. Perhaps I just have two kids with the wiggly jigglies. Now that they are bigger they do still move around A LOT when they sleep - both ending up in all different directions.

Hmm, well, looking at the pic, it looks like there is a bump to keep them from sliding, so you might be able to roll up a blanket or towel to get that effect. It just seems insanely expensive to me for a piece of foam. My frugal side can't get past that price tag. LOL

maestramommy
03-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Hmm, well, looking at the pic, it looks like there is a bump to keep them from sliding, so you might be able to roll up a blanket or towel to get that effect. It just seems insanely expensive to me for a piece of foam. My frugal side can't get past that price tag. LOL

Aiyah! Is it really $130?? :47:

mommy111
03-13-2009, 03:56 PM
No you are not crazy. The price tag is a little steep, but if you have a child bothered by reflux, this seems like a very simple but elegant design/way to keep them asleep. Pillows on the side and under knees as well as elevated at head may do the same thing, but of course you can't use pillows with the SIDS risk. Besides that 'massage' style foam looks sooooo comfy, am I crazy to want one for myself ;) ?

AngelaS
03-13-2009, 04:30 PM
That would've been so handy for my refluxy baby too.

Instead she slept in this for months: http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-Price-Calming-Vibrations-Bouncer-Rocking-Chair_W0QQitemZ220376474103QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item220376474103&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

If you flip the bottom bar forward, it reclines nicely and she stayed put. Mine didn't have the toy bar over it either. Shortly before I moved her out of it, I started putting the whole seat into the crib so she had no trouble transitioning.

DrSally
03-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Wow, high price. DD slept in an older fisher price bassinet that has an incline for the first 5 months. She loved it and slept like a dream. Going to her crib has not been easy. Recently, when she had a really bad cold and couldn't sleep b/c of the congestion, I put her in her bouncy seat, and she sleeps so well. Ugh.

kransden
03-14-2009, 12:43 AM
If you need it and it works, I'ld have paid $300. 00 for it. (Says the mom who got 1 night's sleep for the 1st 14 months of dd's life.) That might have helped my dd's reflux. You might be lucky and not need it for your 2nd though.

Tondi G
03-14-2009, 01:02 AM

Yeah but is it all that different than say a Foam crib mattress? If your kid was up all night with reflux and someone said I can give you something that will make your kiddo sleep all night for 130 bucks.... you'd do it in a heartbeat, well I know I would! I think it looks neat but having looked into the price of foam for a friend who was trying to make a seating area I now know how expensive seemingly plain foam can be! WOW!

JTsMom
03-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Yeah but is it all that different than say a Foam crib mattress? If your kid was up all night with reflux and someone said I can give you something that will make your kiddo sleep all night for 130 bucks.... you'd do it in a heartbeat, well I know I would! I think it looks neat but having looked into the price of foam for a friend who was trying to make a seating area I now know how expensive seemingly plain foam can be! WOW!
If I tried all of my other ideas, none of them worked, and I thought this one would? Heck yeah! I'd probably pay 3 times that in some of the scenarios described above. You can't put a price tag on sleep. But...

look at this thing. http://www.foambymail.com/Arm.html and it's price. It's not exactly the same, but pretty darn close from the looks of it. Knowing how cheap the thing must be to make, doesn't the price tag get under your skin?

DrSally
03-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Interesting. That looks like exactly the same thing!

AngelaS
03-14-2009, 01:14 PM
You know, a chunk of foam from your local Joanns wouldn't be NEARLY that expensive. At the store they cut it with an electric knife. You could probably buy a piece, carve it and then slip a pillowcase or such over it. Granted, it wouldn't have the seat belt tho....

I'm just brainstorming so feel free to ignore me. :D