PDA

View Full Version : Bike Rack - Swing or Tilt?

niccig
03-13-2009, 09:50 PM
We need a bike rack for the car. I'm getting a hitch receiver installed next week, then we can take our 3 bikes to the beach.

I can get a bike rack that swings away from the car when bikes are loaded so you can get in the back. Or one that tilts away from the car to get into the back. My CRV has a lift up back gate. The tilt one is cheaper, but I don't know if it'll give enough clearance or if you can keep the bikes on when you tilt it up.

Anyone have any advice???

bubbaray
03-13-2009, 09:52 PM
My DH says to get the Swing one -- the tilt one is a PITA b/c you have to hold the weight of the bikes when you tilt it down.

He says that you might be able to get one that you don't need to swing. His (a Swagman) is far enough away from his tailgate that he can open/close his hatch without moving the rack.

niccig
03-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks.
We're going to get a 4 bike rack. Currently we just need it for 2 bikes (mine and DH's), but once DS graduates to a bigger bike, that will go on there too, and then space for a friend's bike. I did make sure the hitch we're getting can cope with the weight of a 4 bike swing rack...off to find the best price IRL as I don't want to have to return ship if it doesn't work!