PDA

View Full Version : Dog Question

himom
03-13-2009, 10:36 PM
We've got a friend with a litter, and the boys (including DH) really want to see about getting a puppy. I love dogs, but I haven't had one since I was a kid and I want to make sure we are really able to properly take care of one before we go for it. Hoping any dog owners might be able to help me out with a few questions....

Most important right now (since we're feeling the crunch with paycuts): How much can we expect to spend, both for start-up and for taking care of the puppy? I will want to get her/him spayed/neutered when it is time. How often do they need to go to the vet, how much is a typical visit, how much should we expect to spend on heartworms meds, etc?

We are thinking about a girl dog. Are they easier or harder than boys, or does it make a difference?

We aren't home all the time. Will they be okay alone for long periods or are they too social?

The breed, in case anyone is wondering, is Akita/Laborador. And they're darling! But I really don't want to get one of these little sweeties until I'm absolutely sure they can be happy here.

Thanks in advance!
Jodi

Wife_and_mommy
03-13-2009, 10:46 PM
I hate to start out on a negative note, but I'd seriously study up on Akitas as first thing. They can be quite aggressive and I say that as an owner of a large dog.

Puppies are expensive. I don't have current numbers since ours is 10 years old but most recent numbers I heard were $400 for neutering.

I spend about $180 for flea and heartworm meds per year. Food runs about $40/month.

Annual physicals are about $125ish.
Hth.

ETA: It sounds expensive and it is but once a little bundle of fur joins your family, it'll be worth it. Similar to SAHMotherhood, you get paid back in fun and kisses. :)

Momof3Labs
03-13-2009, 11:01 PM
A general rule of thumb that we use when talking to potential adopters is that $1000 per year is a reasonable budget for food, vet visits (excluding any emergencies), heartworm and flea meds, etc.

I would also research Akitas before adopting. Akitas can be quite dominant and one-owner dogs - not a great family pet. You never know if the puppy will be more like an Akita or more like a Lab in temperament. Labs are VERY active dogs that need a couple of hours of exercise (walking, running, playing ball, etc) almost every day during puppyhood. Plus, given that this will be a big dog around young kids, you'll really need to do obedience training, which takes additional time.

doberbrat
03-13-2009, 11:02 PM
do you know the akita half of the parents?

an akita would not be in my top 10 recommendations for a notice dog owner w/kids. also check whether your home ins will ocver an akita - they're on the banned breed list for many ins.

as far as how expensive - bare min is 300/yr in vet and 50+ for food.

an akita may need professional grooming to blow out the under coat a couple of times a year figure on $50 each time. if you cant/wont do nails by yourself, thats another $10 per time.

akitas are a pretty healthy breed, labs, so so. for a spay, plan on spending about 150

vejemom
03-13-2009, 11:19 PM
I would be wary of the Akita blood, too. They're lovely dogs but they require an experienced owner with a firm hand and TONS of positive reinforcement and socialization. They are generally aloof and fairly fastidious. They are adorable puppies, but grow into large, powerful adults. They're uncanny escape artists that think 6 foot fences are a joke, and are prone to wander over large areas. They were bred to protect the royal family of Japan and all of those traits were important for the job they did.

I don't have any statistics at hand, but I would imagine that Akitas are one of the most common breeds surrendered to animal shelters. They are simply adorable puppies, very different from the 80-100 pound adult dog with full guardian instincts that they grow into. Unfortunately, they are well represented in dog bite statistics.

The Lab blood could even out some of that and certain puppies might have more relaxed temperments. You just don't know what you're going to get with a mix until it is grown up. Since this sounds like an "oops" litter, I'm assuming that the parents weren't temperment tested. If your boys really have their heats set on a dog from this litter, I would wait until the dogs are several months old before taking one. That way, you'll have a pretty good idea of what that dog's personality will be like as an adult.

Neutering is a less invasive surgery than spaying, so it generally costs about half as much. Costs for medical care depend a lot on the size of the dog. IN my are, I would expect to pay about $200 for neuter on a 40 pound dog. Heartworm and flea and tick preventatives run about $60-90 each for a three month supply of. YEarly exam with rabies and distemper vaccines and heartworm test about $150. Don't forget to factor in training costs, especially if you haven't had a dog in a while. Most people also need a crate. Again, the bigger the dog, the more expensive, but I would plan on spending about $50-$90. You'll want some toys for the puppy, and it wouldn't hurt to figure in damages to furniture or clothing while he or she is still learning what are acceptable chew toys :ROTFLMAO:

kellij
03-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I just wanted to add that if you check in your area they may have clinics that do reduced price spaying. Where we live there are clinics that do it for a reduced amount. I think they have them both based on income and then some that will just do it for less on certain days.

jacksmomtobe
03-13-2009, 11:45 PM
In reading your post the first thing that jumped out at me was the Akita in the dog as the previous replies mention that breed is pretty aggressive and a one person dog. The lab part could help with temperment however I'm not sure that is a chance you want to take with kids. Also you don't state the ages of your kids. You really want to make sure your youngest child is at least 3 because either the dog or the child needs to know the rules on how to behave appropriately. Obviously the puppy is not going to know how to behave and it's not fair to the pup if the child isn't able to understand how to treat it properly, to be gentle and things not to do to a dog. You also want to make sure you have the time to devote to training the dog properly.

Male vs Female. When we were looking for a dog I polled friends who owned dogs including those who owned both male & female and the recommendation was to go with a female. Most felt they listened better. In observing other dogs at the park it seems like the males seemed to be the ones that were harder to get along with others though neutering helps a great deal.

Dogs can be expensive. I feel ever time we go to the vet it's at least $150+ though my gal is worth it due to the immense pleasure she brings the whole family. At this point our 7 yr old lab pretty much just goes once or twice a year. One of those visits being the yearly check up & for updated any shots. I would say the $1000 a year figure mentioned above is probably pretty accurate with everything considered.

Hope this helps!

shawnandangel
03-14-2009, 01:09 AM
I think it's great to own pets! However, gotta agree with pp on the Akita. I would research different breeds and find out what you think would suit your family best, then go to a rescue or shelter and try to find that dog. If you rescue a puppy they are usually spayed/neutered or the cost is included for them to come back and get it when they are old enough.

You can get medical care pretty cheap if you look for it. In Nashville they have rabies shot day where you can go to various clinics set up around town and get the rabies shot for $10.

Depending on the breed size depends on how much you pay for heartworm medicine. We found we actually did save money by going to 1800pedmeds.com. Once you buy from them once they also send you coupons. (YAY!)

If you really want a puppy that's great, just maybe not an Akita ;)

There are several threads on this board about getting a puppy and they are very informative. Posters posted their favorite breed for family dog, dog temperment, dog grooming ect.

For instance one of my dogs is a Boston Terrier:
Good temperment
Smart
Usually does not like other dogs
Likes kids and people though
Easy to train
short hair = no grooming fees
small dog = less money spent on food, medicine, vet bills (my vet charges by dog size)
some health problems come with breed - hip dysplasia is common, also cushings disease

Anyways, my point is there are ups and downs to every breed and you should find one that best fits your family.

bubbaray
03-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah, another vote for doing WAAAAY more research about whether the Akita is a good choice for you. Not the breed I would recommend for a first time dog owner nor a family with children. IMO, you want a gentle dog that bonds well to everyone in the family -- not a one-man dog.

A great resource is your local vet (whom you're gonna need a good relationship with anyway). They may be able to recommend particular breeds or even breeders -- or a shelter they are affiliated with.

As for gender, I'm gonna go against the tide here. Our breeder told us that with her labs, the females tend to be more aloof and the males are the cling-on dogs. This has definitely turned out to be the case with our male lab. He is always "right there".

I would also get prices for spay/neuter from your local vet. Ours charges around $500 for a spay, but around $200/250 for a neuter (depends on size of dog b/c they use more anesthetic for the larger dogs). They will also tell you the best age to have it done. Our vet recommends males get neutered around 6m of age. We wish we had had our dog done early (he was done at 10m).

If heartworm is endemic in your area OR areas you visit regularly, you need a monthly heartworm med -- you can use a multi-drug. We use Sentinel which is a dewormer, flea preventative and heartworm preventative. It runs us $200/year in Canada, not sure what it is in the US. We give it to our dog not b/c there is heartworm here, but b/c there IS heartworm where we vacation every summer. There are other flea preventatives and heartworm only drugs. Your vet will tell you what is best in your area.

Our dog's annual checkup and shots is around $50-60 (DTAP and bordatella), with an extra $50 for those years he needs his rabies shot (IIRC, he's on a 3yr recall on that). We average at least one other visit per year, typically running $150. I pay about $55/m for pet insurance. Before we had that, I paid $2k for his "intestinal obstruction" surgery when he almost died (he eats rubber. Dumb dog).

Food is about $75/large bag (we buy a special, breed-specific food that works best for him), we buy a bag every 1.5 months. Treats, typically about $10-20/m (Greenies, premium dog treats, etc).

Licenses here are $25/year, we get a discount b/c I pay early and b/c he's neutered. "open" dogs (not spayed or neutered) are double the usual $50/yr rate, so they are $100/year and I don't think there is a pay early discount for them).

We don't typically pay any grooming fees, but sometimes have his nails clipped at the vet (included with annual checkup, but $25 if done separately) -- though groomers will do it for around $10. I have the clippers to do it myself, which we've tried with zero success. THankfully, he only needs it done once or twice a year. Most dogs need it done at least monthly.

We did a lot of training with our dog, so you definitely need to budget for that, both financially and time-wise.

Good luck!

randomkid
03-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Haven't read all the other replies, but I have to say that the Akita jumped out at me as well. You never know which temperament will be stronger in a mixed breed. My neighbor has a Goldendoodle - looks and acts like a standard brown poodle - I don't see much Golden Retriever in that dog at all.

My uncle had an Akita - very sweet dog. My uncle adored that dog. One day, out of the blue and without warning, the Akita attacked their small Cairn terrier - almost killed her. They had the Akita put down and the terrier had multiple injuries that required a lot of care. Honestly, I wouldn't have any dog with Akita blood around children.

Having said that, if you are still interested in a dog, I would research temperament and which dogs are better around children. Also, look at your lifestyle as well as cost. Do you have time to walk a dog every day, play with it in the yard, etc? Do you work or stay home? I got a puppy when I was single - he was a small dog. I would come home from work, walk him for 45 minutes, then play with him in the house for probably another hour after dinner. He had boundless energy! I could never do that right now with working and having a 4 year old.

Indianamom2
03-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I will also so be wary of Akitas, and I also as another poster said, have a German Shepard.

This is my first dog (we've had her for about a year and a half now. We got her from the shelter at about 10-11 months old. All we know is that she was brought in with her brother by the police (and puked all over their squad car!) which makes it sound like the circumstances weren't the best. She looks like a taller German Shep. but she is most likely mixed with some black lab as well (though she howls like a hound dog!). We took our then 3-year old daughter with us when we were looking and this dog was extremely gentle with her. She was a full-grown size at that time and her temperment was pretty much set. We could not have picked a sweeter, more gentle with our child, dog. Yes, she still needs training, mostly to stop jumping when someone first comes in, but otherwise, she puts up with SOOOO much.

That being said, I will caution you that a big dog in the house is something I would not do again. It drives me insane and she is *my* dog, following me around ALL DAY LONG.

I will also remind you that even the most careful pet-owner cannot prevent all accidents. When we had had our dog for less than a year, she unfortunately got onto a table and ate 95 (200mg) ibuprofen tablets while we were out running a quick errand. Let me just say that had we not come home when we did, and gotten immediate excellent veterinarian care (for many weeks to come) she would have died. She almost did anyhow. All told, we spent close to $2000 for that little incident alone. (It cost me a new refrigerator.) We thought we were being careful, but accidents still happen and with a dog, they are costly.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Christina

melissaflorida
03-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, I just picked up our dog from the vet yesterday and paid a $3500.00 bill for surgery. Dog's can be very expensive so be prepared.

My neighbor has an Akita and he is very hyper and aggressive. Granted not all from the breed are like that but I would hesitate getting a puppy with young children in the household.

We have 2 Siberian Huskies, 1 Golden and a Mixed Terrier Mutt. All the them are amazing with our almost 5 yo.

Good Luck,

Melissa

BillK
03-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Another vote to be very very cautious of any Akita blood anywhere.

Back when we got our Yellow Lab her therapy dog certification - we spent a TON of time at the local "dog school" and for us - EVERY SINGLE Akita we met there was aggressive and not a dog I'd even remotely trust around kids. That's not to say there aren't good Akitas out there - but I'd personally not want to take the chance with kids around.

It's a shame really - because I just love the look of Akita's - they're really a great looking breed.

Dogs are an expense too - we paid $2600 for our lab's TPLO surgery for her torn right rear ACL last year - plus 12 weeks of recovery in her kennel in the middle of our living room (fun!). She has had a 100% complete recovery and is 99.9999% the dog she was prior to the surgery so we're very glad we did it - but they definitely can cost you some dough.

AngelaS
03-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I'd skip the Akita too.

We spent about $300 on our Mastiff's spay, she eats just over $40 worth of food a month but the medicine her vet just gave her for arthritis type symptoms is $50 a month! OW! And he recommends getting her hips checked because even tho her parents have 'clean' hips, she's showing signs of not. THAT will cost us a bundle!

niccig
03-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I second being VERY sure that you want a dog, and maybe waiting until the youngest is about 3 yo. Dogs, especially puppies are a lot of work. We only have one dog now, and it is very easy as she's an older dog, calm, and wonderful with DS. Our other dog was a lot more work and it was difficult to have her around kids. So, if you do have a dog and have kids, you have to get one that has the right temperament and then spend a lot of time with training both the dog and the kids, so they get along. I'm all for adopting an older dog, so you know what their temperament is.

And dogs cost money. Our dog had problems with her teeth, and it's cost a LOT of money at the vet. She also had a broken leg from her life as a street dog. So far we've been fine, but the vet is expecting arthritis and other problems as she gets older. If I get out of the vet's office for less than $200, I'm happy.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-14-2009, 06:54 PM
As a former Pit Bull owner, and a Pit Bull lover, Pits scored 84% passing to the Akitas 74%. ATTS test on a variety of things, but its a great resource for discovering more about specific breeds. That said, we adopted puppies last year when DD was 1 and our Pit had cancer. Our puppies are mutts, truly mutts, we have no clue what they are. I couldn't ever buy from a breeder, there are so many rescue dogs out there, especially in this economy. That's me though... Our next dog or dogs will be Pit rescues. People made nasty comments to me about having a Pit and a baby. I mean NASTY, going as far as implying I was a bad parent! Certain breeds have certain tendencies, BUT to me breedism is a bit like racism. All _____ people are _____. Not always true! 84.3% of Pits passed the ATTS test where 84.2% of Goldies passed. Goldies have more reported cases of bites peryear than pits, but you always see pit attacks on the news! Our neighbor had an Akita rescue, and she was BFF's with our Pit, 2 "dominant" females and they dug holes under they fence so they could play. They were great together!

My point is that certain dogs work best for certain people. Not all dogs of one breed are the same, just as all (fill in a race) people are the same. Akitas, like Pits, can be very smart and stubborn, therefore they may require more training. My pit could open a door, or bring her blankie down stairs and tuck herself in when asked. We treated her like a child,and she loved us and our child so much. I would never hesitate to get a dog because of their breed.

Dogs are expensive. Our pit was free, but had cancer and we spent over $4,500 on medical bills for treating her cancers. She also ate, as do our puppies, higher end food. We may spend $60 or so a month just on food.

Momof3Labs
03-14-2009, 09:05 PM
As a former Pit Bull owner, and a Pit Bull lover, Pits scored 84% passing to the Akitas 74%. ATTS test on a variety of things, but its a great resource for discovering more about specific breeds. That said, we adopted puppies last year when DD was 1 and our Pit had cancer. Our puppies are mutts, truly mutts, we have no clue what they are. I couldn't ever buy from a breeder, there are so many rescue dogs out there, especially in this economy. That's me though... Our next dog or dogs will be Pit rescues. People made nasty comments to me about having a Pit and a baby. I mean NASTY, going as far as implying I was a bad parent! Certain breeds have certain tendencies, BUT to me breedism is a bit like racism. All _____ people are _____. Not always true! 84.3% of Pits passed the ATTS test where 84.2% of Goldies passed. Goldies have more reported cases of bites peryear than pits, but you always see pit attacks on the news! Our neighbor had an Akita rescue, and she was BFF's with our Pit, 2 "dominant" females and they dug holes under they fence so they could play. They were great together!

My point is that certain dogs work best for certain people. Not all dogs of one breed are the same, just as all (fill in a race) people are the same. Akitas, like Pits, can be very smart and stubborn, therefore they may require more training. My pit could open a door, or bring her blankie down stairs and tuck herself in when asked. We treated her like a child,and she loved us and our child so much. I would never hesitate to get a dog because of their breed.

Dogs are expensive. Our pit was free, but had cancer and we spent over $4,500 on medical bills for treating her cancers. She also ate, as do our puppies, higher end food. We may spend $60 or so a month just on food.

You are kind of comparing apples and oranges. You are talking about the true underlying temperament of a Pit bull vs. their public image, which are quite different. Pits get a bad rap in the news because of their connection with dog fighters, and it paints a singular image of the breed that isn't consistent with their underlying temperament. Most of the other posters have simply warned the OP to consider the true underlying temperament of an Akita before adopting a puppy of that breed.

You are obviously a very experienced dog owner. The OP has said that she is not. Some breeds are better suited for novice owners (particular owners busy with other things - work, kids, etc.) and I would argue that the Akita is not one of those (I would also argue that a Lab isn't a great choice for a busy family either). I believe if more dog owners who choose a specific breed did so with their eyes wide open, understanding the dog's typical nature and how it might fit with their lifestyle, the shelters and rescue groups would not be so overrun with unwanted pets. Maybe you call that "breedism" but I call it responsibly selecting the right pet for your lifestyle.

And I'm sure that there are more reported dog bites by Goldens every year vs. Pit bulls as there are a whole lot more Goldens running around. I wouldn't be surprised if Labs top the list of dog bites given their sheer number compared to other breeds.

doberbrat
03-14-2009, 10:38 PM

this is not a fair comparison. a well bred pit may be dog aggressive but is absolutely safe around people. akitas are bred to be guarding dogs. they are known for being loyal to their family - to the point of being potentially aggressive towards visitors including visiting children b/c they may feel that the visiting children are mistreating the family children. many dont tolerate the nonsense that many famililies think dogs should put up with.

all of this makes them as you say the right dog for certain people. but generally speaking, I think it makes them the wrong breed for a novice owner with small children who isnt even positive they want a dog.

the 'my husband and children want a dog' may work out just fine if its the perfect dog for the family that is easy to get along with and has no issues. but if the person who is home most of hte time and or primarily responsible for the dog isnt 100% on board there is a much higher probability that the dog will be rehomed. traumatic for the children and potentially lifethreatening for the dog who's now out of a home.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-15-2009, 03:27 AM
I was just trying to explain to the OP, that she needs to do her research, but ultimately make the decision that is right for her and her family. If I listened to what people said about pits, I would have never had one. So what about my mutts? If dogs are mixed what are peoples opinions? I was a nanny to a family with Dobermans, and they were really sweet dogs, and I love Rotties.Most people wouldn't consider either of those breeds great family dogs, but I have seen them be great with families. Akitas can be aloof, but if properly trained and socialized CAN make great family dogs. Am I saying the OP should get one? No I am saying don't rule them out. Only the family can decide which breed suits them best. Well bred Akita's just like well bred dogs of any breed are usually temperament tested. They, like pits were mixed with a fighting breed, and they were fought in Japan.

Momof3Labs
03-15-2009, 09:02 AM
So what about my mutts? If dogs are mixed what are peoples opinions? I was a nanny to a family with Dobermans, and they were really sweet dogs, and I love Rotties.

Well bred Akita's just like well bred dogs of any breed are usually temperament tested.

All my dogs growing up were mutts. I have a mutt now and she is a very sweet dog. But we also carefully chose her as the right dog for our family (she was 8yo and being rehomed by her owners so we got a lot of info on her before adopting her). I don't know if I'd adopt any dog without that kind of history into my family of very young kids - even when we adopt our Labs, we are really, really careful about the dog that we bring home; despite their reputation, not all Labs are suited for families with young children.

I've known many sweet Dobies and Rotties when they are bred, raised and trained properly. The owners also carefully chose these breeds as the best match for their families.

I doubt that we're talking about a "well bred Akita" here. It is an Akita-Lab mix that is likely the result of backyard breeding - not something that is often associated with well-bred dogs; a responsible breeder of a well-bred dog will carefully place that dog and require that any dog who is not show quality be neutered.

himom
03-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I have to sit down and talk to my husband now, and all the info here really helped.

Thanks again!

Jodi