PDA

View Full Version : Best Carrier for 20lb baby?

jenny
03-14-2009, 05:56 PM
My DD is 8 months and over 20 pounds. We have the baby bjorn with lumbar support. The weight max on that is 25 pounds and I wanted another carrier for when she outgrows the baby bjorn.

Is there one that you strongly recommend? I think it would nice if the carrier could be used to carry her on our back or hip or chest. (and preferable was easy on our back and shoulders)

ahrimie
03-14-2009, 06:02 PM
ERGO! If you are doing fine with the Bjorn, you'll love the Ergo. It distributes the weight well and you can do all of the positions you mentioned.

I love the sleep hood and use it all the time when we're out and it's nap time.

SnuggleBuggles
03-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Ergo or the Beco. The Becos are very similar to Ergos in design but they come in more colors and the fabric is a bit less thick so it folds up smaller for travel. Both are great.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
03-14-2009, 09:03 PM
I agree with PPs. We went from a bjorn active to an Ergo. Couldn't be happier with it. Of course, in our case, shortly after DS was 8 mos, I was pg again, so DH did a lot of the wearing. Wait, your 8 mo old is 20 lb?? Our 16 mo old is 20 lb. He's a skinny guy, though :)

bubbaray
03-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Ergo or bEco depending on which fits you better.

Kindra178
03-15-2009, 08:04 AM
My 20.7 pound 6 month old loves the Ergo, as does his 18 pound twin brother. The accompanying dvd is really helpful.

jenny
03-15-2009, 08:35 AM
I was hesitant about the Ergo because I read that it doesn't give much support and that it chafes the skin of the baby or parent...is that not true?

Yes, my 8-month old is over 20 pounds. I guess I have a lot of fat in my breastmilk.

lowrioh
03-15-2009, 09:39 AM
I haven't had any problems with chaffing. I've used my Ergo to carry my then 20 pound 6 month old through the airport on an international trip and it was great! She fell asleep in it a lot and I think that it gave more than enough support It is great to take to parties because then we don't have to kill your arms and back carrying her around for hours.
The only issue we have is that my DH is super tall and has a big belly so he can't do the front carry very well. Now that we feel more comfortable with her on the back, he can wear her too.

mamaoftwins
03-15-2009, 09:57 AM
ERGO! If you are doing fine with the Bjorn, you'll love the Ergo. It distributes the weight well and you can do all of the positions you mentioned.

:yeahthat: Another vote for the Ergo - we bought one a few months back, both kids were around 22lbs and 14mos at the time, and just recently ordered another for DH b/c the kids love them so much. I wish we would have gotten them sooner! ;) Monkey will even grab at my back during the day to tell me he wants to ride in it, and giggle wildly when he gets in. :) So comfortable. The Bjorn even with the extra lumbar support on the Active version bothered my back quite a lot, but no issues with the Ergo in either a front or back carry thus far.

No chafing here for me or babies.

bubbaray
03-15-2009, 10:56 AM
My DD#2 had severe eczema and screamed all.the.time as a baby. The Ergo did not chafe her or otherwise affect her skin.

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I was hesitant about the Ergo because I read that it doesn't give much support and that it chafes the skin of the baby or parent...is that not true?

Yes, my 8-month old is over 20 pounds. I guess I have a lot of fat in my breastmilk.

That was why I returned my Ergo. I completely forgot about that! It was so long ago and there were a few other reasons but the chafing was the biggest. It just hit me all wrong on my arms. Maybe I would have gotten used to it or the Ergo would have gotten broken in but for $100 I didn't feel like hoping one of those would happen.

I went to a local baby wearing group meeting and tried on all the carriers. The Beco was so much better for me.

It's worth trying them out. Maybe you can find an online or B&M vendor with both in stock and a good exchange policy. I bought my Beco on FrogMama.com and they have a really neat return policy that would be worth checking out.

Beth

jenny
03-15-2009, 01:19 PM
That was why I returned my Ergo. I completely forgot about that! It was so long ago and there were a few other reasons but the chafing was the biggest. It just hit me all wrong on my arms. Maybe I would have gotten used to it or the Ergo would have gotten broken in but for $100 I didn't feel like hoping one of those would happen.

I went to a local baby wearing group meeting and tried on all the carriers. The Beco was so much better for me.

Beth

What's the difference between the beco 1 and 2, is it only the removable infant insert?

JacksMommy
03-16-2009, 12:57 PM
In my experience, 95% of people find the ERGO very comfy. Some petite (and/or narrow-shouldered) and fluffy parents don't love it. The only time I've heard of babies having any chafing is when they are on the small side and the base of the carrier is too wide for them.

It's a great option for front and back carry. I personally don't love it for hip carry, and prefer pikkolo for hip carry. The Scootababy is also great for hip carry, but doesn't do the others.

MontrealMum
03-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I would also say Ergo or Beco. No idea about the chafing in the Ergo, but you will find that with either one you will have TONS more support than you ever did in any sort of Bjorn. I know - we have all three! We tend to reach for the Beco more quickly than the Ergo because it's a bit easier to use at first, but they're both nice and a huge improvement over the Bjorn Active which we started out with. The size of the parent can be an issue for fit - DH is average height but with very broad shoulders, and I am an average build but on the taller side. They both fit both of us fine as we're in the middle size-wise. As pp have mentioned, if you are on the petite side you might do better with the Beco.

jenny
03-16-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm petite but my husband is average height with wide shoulders...really wide shoulders.

so I don't know what to get.

hellokitty
03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Mei tai or some sort of Ergo/Patapum/Beco carrier. By 20 lbs, I think that a two shoulder carrier is pretty much a necessity.

astromaggie
03-16-2009, 09:23 PM

cestkaren
03-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I've never tried the Beco, but I love the Ergo and my son (6 months, 18 pounds) falls asleep in it often. I'm 5'2". My husband finds it comfortable and he is 5'8". My mother is 72 (a yound 72) and about 5' finds the ergo comfortable and takes him for walks in it. I do think it rubs my son behind his legs, but he has very cubby legs and I think would have some chafing without any carrier (just from heat). He doesn't mind a bit.

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm petite but my husband is average height with wide shoulders...really wide shoulders.

so I don't know what to get.

It is possible that you'll each need to find the carrier that works for you - so 2 different ones, if you both plan to carry. Seems ridiculous, sorta, but...if you plan on having more DC and they might be close enough to both be carried at the same time, it can make sense.. For example, we've taken 2 trips where I wore DS in the Bjorn Active (he was small) and DH wore DD on his back in the Ergo - through the airport on in NYC for the day. It was very handy to have both on several occasions.

jenny
03-18-2009, 03:23 PM
We have the baby bjorn active so I guess I'll keep it for a future DC.

So I went ahead and ordered the beco butterfly 2. I'm excited to get it in the mail and try it out!