PDA

View Full Version : Stroller help in the land of the rising sun

Okimom
03-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking for awhile trying to soak up all the information that I can. I'm a first time mom expecting in July so you know how that goes, stressing about everything! LOL...with that being said I need stroller picking help. What i'm looking for is

*something not so wide
*realible, durable, newborn to toddler type stroller
*easy to steer
*nothing too bulky and heavy
*good size basket
*car seat adaptable

and preferable *reversible but that's another question for the moms out there...do you like having that option or is it not that important?

Just a note about width: I live in Japan so everything here is small and crowded, there is no rule about a standard aisle size. Majority of shops/stores are fine but occasionally you will run into one that is impossible to push anything through.

Just to give you an idea, I went to the local Toys R Us to check out strollers (also like to note that only Combi's and Aprica's are sold here so i'm limited on trying anything out for myself) but I decided to measure the average width or strollers sold in Japan. Majority were 19' with the biggest being 22'. I was completely sold on the Uppababy Vista but now I keep thinking the 24.5 is just gonna be too wide, anybody have problems with this so far? Now I am looking at the Peg Perego Pliko Switch or maybe the Bugaboo Bee but honestly, the Bugaboo's just don't look very user-friendly to me.

The stroller will mainly be used for everyday use, shopping, appointments...etc. I would like a neighborhood walking stroller as well but I don't mind purchasing a 2nd stroller for that.

Anything I buy will have to be online, without checking them out first, so ALL suggestions, comments are very appreciated!! Thank you.

MamaKath
03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
If you are not sold on Apricas, I would look at the Peg Perego Switch. It is a decent all around stroller with the reversible seat.

bubbaray
03-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, either the Switch or, if you decide that reversible seat isn't necessary, the P3.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my P3.

ahrimie
03-15-2009, 11:29 PM
I have the Bee (and a Cameleon) and really love them. The Bee is user friendly for the most part. I haven't really reversed the seat on the Bee before though bc to fold it back up, you have to make it face out. Also, it's a newer stroller to me so I'm still getting used to it and breaking it in. With that said, I have to say the Bugaboos are very nice and I really love love them but there is definitely a "breaking in" period. They are a bit stiff to fold and unfold for a little bit but when you get past that, you're golden.

The Bee is good for indoors and sidewalks. I do like that it's smaller/narrower than the Cameleon and find it good for quick trips. But the seat looks narrower than other strollers I've seen so I'm not sure how a bigger toddler will do later.... but I will just worry about that when I get to that point.

I do like the option to reverse the seat, especially when they're itty bitty. Even now at 10 months, my DD still likes to face me (she faces forward on the Bee and sometimes she ends up looking really bored or maybe she's over-stimulated??).

GraceH
03-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Disclaimer: I know nothing about Japan
...but I love my Graco Mosaic stroller here in the US (and I know they exist in Europe too), it's 20" or less wide, takes a car seat & is generally a glorified umbrella (I have mine paired with the Graco SnugRide32/SafeSeat, but I don't know if you have those either)