PDA

View Full Version : difficulty going from balance bike to pedals

wolverine2
03-14-2009, 09:51 PM
UPDATE** He did it! I think it just clicked mostly, but we did get going on a slight downhill, and that really helped- even the slightest uphill was too hard because I realized he wanted to do more gliding (like the balance bike) than pedaling, so it worked on a downhill because he could kind-of pedal but the bike didn't stop. So proud!!

Carrie

My DS (almost 4.5) is a superstar on his Strider, which he got last spring. MIL got him a "real" bike (without checking with us first) and I had little input but made DH take the training wheels off. DS does not seem to be able to make the switch. I'm wondering if the new bike is just too big (not sure the size- much bigger than the Strider, but he can touch the ground when we put the seat low) or heavy. He just doesn't seem to get the pedal thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

carolinamama
03-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Maybe he just needs more time to get the hang of it? DS is younger but he is fast and comfortable on his balance bike that he has had for the past 1+ year that when he tries out the neighborhood kids' bikes with training wheels, he doesn't stick with it very long since it's easier for him to ride his balance bike fast. Therefore, he quickly wants his own bike back so he can zoom around like he is accustomed. He can pedal a trike very well, so it isn't that. We also plan to go straight to the no-training wheels bike when ds is ready so I'm curious to see how this plays out.

HannaAddict
03-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Do you know how tall the new bike is? I ask because my son recently went from his Puky balance bike to 16" pedal bike and we were actually shocked that he literally rode off the first time and started pedaling! My husband held it up and gave him a push to start and he took off, before I had a chance to get the camera going! By the second time riding it, he could start off himself from a stop without help. We also have the seat pretty low so he can be in control and went with the 16" version even though our child is tall and the bike shop said we could have tried a 20" bike. I think we would have had problems jumping to the 20" bike. If it is a taller bike, I would think about getting a smaller bike that he can handle comfortably and feel in control.

We actually got the Trek Float since we weren't sure if the transition would be smooth but never took the pedals off (they assembled it for us with the pedals as his big kid bike). He is now almost five and 45" tall, if that helps for comparison purposes. He never pedaled his Kettler much but has pedaled other cheaper trikes (why did I get the Kettler?). He got the balance bike last year at Christmas and took off on it immediately too (at just over three and a half years old) and moved up to the big kid bike this Christmas (at four and a half years old).

KrystalS
03-14-2009, 11:21 PM
No advice but DD is having the same problem. She loved her Puky bike but her legs were just getting too long so we got her a 16" for her birthday. She has a really hard time. She never had a tricycle so I guess its the pedaling she can't get the hang of. She has a really hard time getting started too. Even with training wheels she always needs a push.

niccig
03-15-2009, 02:15 AM
When we made the switch, we walked beside DS holding on to a fistful of his shirt at the back of his neck. We gave him the extra balance as he worked out the pedaling and balance together. We did it about 5 times over a 2 week period. Then one day he was pedaling too fast for me to walk, so I let go and he rode on his own. We still needed to hold onto his shirt going up the slight hill from the park to our house - we did that for about 3 months, and then he could do the hill on his own.

Our pedal bike is the same size as the puky. We hoped for a 16" bike, but DS can't touch the ground, so the 12" it was, and still is. His bike is also very light. I think it helps to have a big that they can handle, both size and weight. I know when we've rented bikes at the beach boardwalk, the old heavy ones were harder for me to get going than when I got my own bike. I think if we had gone for the 16", DS might have taken longer to get the hang of the size.

niccig
03-15-2009, 02:23 AM
She has a really hard time getting started too. Even with training wheels she always needs a push.

To get started DS pushes the bike with his feet like he did with the Puky. Once he gets going a bit, then he puts his feet on the pedals and is off.

When he first had the pedal bike we would hold on to his shirt, like I said in my other post above. Once he could ride by himself, he would still have us hold onto his shirt as he got going, then we let go. After a couple of weeks of just helping with the starts, he didn't need help, and that's when he started using his feet a few times to push off and build momentum and then pedals. I think he'll eventually stop using his feet to push off, but for now he needs to do it this way.

DS's bike seat is low enough that he can put his whole foot on the ground, not just his toes. We think it's a little low, but as he still uses his feet to push off, we haven't raised it. Friends have a 16" bike with training wheels for their DD, but I think the seat is too high as she can just touch her toes to the ground, so she can't get a good push off when she starts riding.

Maybe lower the seat if she can't touch the ground and get her to start using her feet as if it was a balance bike, then put feet on pedals.

o_mom
03-15-2009, 08:44 AM
I agree with PPs - make sure the seat is low enough that he can touch easily and that he has practiced pedalling on a tricycle. If you haven't already, go to a large empty parking lot for practice. Trying to steer down a short driveway or even stay on a sidewalk at first is hard.

HannaAddict
03-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I agree with PPs - make sure the seat is low enough that he can touch easily and that he has practiced pedalling on a tricycle. If you haven't already, go to a large empty parking lot for practice. Trying to steer down a short driveway or even stay on a sidewalk at first is hard.

Great point about going to a large empty parking lot or playground. In addition to having the seat low enough that my son can really get his feet down on the ground, we have only been riding at a huge, smooth, flat school playgroundso far. That way he can just focus on getting going, pedaling and not worry too much about control and not going off the sidewalk or crashing into something. The second day we took the bike out, he started pedaling himself after pushing himself getting going as with his glider. And, when he started pedaling he kept looking down at his feet, watching himself pedal instead of looking ahead to where he was going. It was fine since we were in a huge area but we had to keep saying "look up" "look where you are going" since he was just checking out his feet.

wolverine2
03-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I do think that part of it is that he is so zippy on the balance bike that he doesn't want to try too long on the other one, cause it's not as much fun. I think it may be too big and heavy, which frustrates me to no end because I do not want to get another bike and I'm annoyed at MIL (and DH, who was with her at the bike store) for buying it without asking. And it was pricey. I don't know what size it is- how do you measure to find out? DS can touch the ground, but not flat-footed. I'll see if the seat can go any lower. I think it may work if he can get a running start and then pedal. We'll pull the trike out as well to practice. He used to be able to do it no problem, but since we got the balance bike, he hasn't touched it.

Thanks,

Thatchermom
03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
When DS started with pedals we went to a park with a hill to start him out. That way, he could start coasting down and pedal when he felt ready. Getting enough movement to balance and pedaling at the same time is a bit of a challenge. At least for ME it is! :)

hillview
03-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I would say it sounds like it may be too big for him -- can you lower the seat at all? DS has a balance bike and a too large/heavy for him bike. He can touch the ground but not easily/flat footed. It is also heavy. I realized I really need to get him one the next size down (neighbors have one and he loves it). Might try him out on a smaller one?
/hillary

wolverine2
03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Steering is hard for him as well- he is looking down at the pedals, not where he's going. I'm afraid it's just too big, but I don't want to spend the $ for a smaller one. I'll see if the seat can go down any more. Would putting training wheels on be stupid? The whole reason I wanted the balance bike was to avoid the training wheels. He did ride it no problem the first day MIL got it w/ training wheels. But then I made DH take them off.

brittone2
03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
DS is on the shorter side for his age (recently turned 5), and a 16 inch is still a little unwieldy for him. He just can't touch very well...he's on tiptoes. He's still really happy w/ his Puky, so I'm waiting until a 16 inch is a more comfortable reach, even though I think w/ a 14 inch he could probably pedal independently. It is so close, and he's quite happy w/ his Puky, so I'm just waiting for the 16 in to be a comfortable reach. I haven't tried him on a 16 for a bit so I should take a look or have him measured again soon.

I hope you can find a solution. This thread gave me some great ideas, so thanks for starting it.

niccig
03-16-2009, 01:51 AM
DS is on the shorter side for his age (recently turned 5), and a 16 inch is still a little unwieldy for him. He just can't touch very well...he's on tiptoes. He's still really happy w/ his Puky, so I'm waiting until a 16 inch is a more comfortable reach, even though I think w/ a 14 inch he could probably pedal independently. It is so close, and he's quite happy w/ his Puky, so I'm just waiting for the 16 in to be a comfortable reach. I haven't tried him on a 16 for a bit so I should take a look or have him measured again soon.

This is DS too, he's pedal bike is a 12". He's been riding it since October. We were at the bike store to get my bike fixed and we tried him on the 16" and he can just barely tip-toe touch the ground. The guy at the bike store said it was still too big. It's kind of funny to see DS on this teeny tiny bike pedaling up a storm, he's legs have to go round and round so much. But he's just not ready to size up.

Carrie, is it possible to find a smaller bike on craig's list or borrow one from friends? Our bike store also sells 2nd hand bikes. The bike size is the diameter of the wheels. If DS can't touch flat-footed, and you think the bike is too big, I would look for a smaller one, that can be passed down to other kids, or put it away for a few months and let DS use his balance bike a little longer. In 6 months, he might be fine on it. Or take him to a big flat area where it doesn't matter where he steers and walk with him, holding on and giving him more balance. Keep doing this for a few weeks and see if he seems to be getting it and you can hold on less and then let go. DS's steering was pretty bad to start with as the momentum of the pedals upset his balance etc. But now, he's getting much better at going around bends etc. So, steering is probably the last thing he'll improve on.

wolverine2
03-22-2009, 07:12 PM
bump- update at top.