PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren Volo vs. Uppa Baby G-Lite

Marriedladytara
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
These seem to be very much the same, with the G-Lite being a tiny bit lighter, standing on its own and not having to use your foot to open/close it.

Anybody tried out both?

I'm looking for a stroller for my 3 year old who doesn't love strollers but is going to WDW in June (how's that for a run-on sentence?)

Thanks!

pastrygirl
03-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I LOVE my G-lite. I've only tried the Volo in the store and haven't been impressed. It felt flimsy to me every time I tried it. I don't think you can go wrong with the G-lite! I've been very impressed at how much I can fit in the basket, too. I don't try to hang a diaper bag from the handles, though, as it would tip when the child gets out (this would happen with the Volo too, I think).

bubbaray
03-15-2009, 09:10 PM
I thought the G-Lite had a lower weight limit than the Volo. Not 100% sure on that.

purpelina
03-15-2009, 10:38 PM
I like volo (or any mac) better. G-lite is OK, but the canopy fabric is very thin and I doubt it will shade the sun well, not to mention rain, and will let all the wind through. If you use it mainly indoors (malls etc) it shouldn't be an issue, but at WDW in June? I would think twice. Also, "standing when folded" is a good point, but if you are on public transport you still have to kind of hold the stroller, even if it can stand on its own. It's helpful when you don't want to put the stroller on the dirty floor though.
G-lite has bigger and wider wheels, I liked them much better than tiny volo's wheels, but steering is so-so. If you try it out with a heavier child you'll see a difference, volo still steers better, especially w/ one hand, g-lite needs both of your hands.
If you find g-lite cheap enpugh it's a good choice. I would just say it's not worth the full price. Also, you can find volos for 50-60 online (new, just say from 2007 or so)

Carrots
03-16-2009, 08:30 AM
I loved the G-Lite, but ended up getting the Volo because it was less expensive and I liked the color (Navy blue) better than the 4 G-Lite options. I wish the volo had the ability to stand when folded, although I have only needed this feature a handfull of times so far. I thought steering on both was identical. I did push the G-Lite with 1 hand wid DD in the seat and it was fine. The G-Lite does have a lighter weight limit by 5 lbs, if I remember correctly. I thought the Volo's hood is bigger, but the G-Light's hood can be tilted forward for sun coverage. I didn't mind the hood fabric. Uppababy has wonderful customer service too.

With that being said, I have been happy with my Volo. It is great for mall trips and errands. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Best of luck,

purpelina
03-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I thought steering on both was identical. I did push the G-Lite with 1 hand wid DD in the seat and it was fine.

I see from your siggy that your dd is not 1 yo yet :) Till about 30 lb there's not much difference in pushing both strollers, but after that weight you feel it. I pushed my 3.5 y.o in both strollers at the store (there were both on display) and did feel g-lite was harder to turn, especially using one hand. Since OP has a 3 y.o. I thought I'd point this out.

AnnieW625
03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't like the Volo at all. It's flimsy looking and mesh fabric can't be all that comfortable. There was a post a while back here about the G Lite not being as nice as the Mac's. I'd spend an extra $30 and get a Triumph. If you find a 2008 Triumph it will still have a tilting forward hood for sun protection I think. I heard it was discontinued for the 2009 model though.

strollerqueen
03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Actually, when SP #1 was a toddler, he cried for the Volo all the time. He did not like the Quest, nor even it's predecessor, the Vogue 2000. So I guess he found the Volo very comfy.

lorinick
03-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Steering on the Mac's are much nice than the Uppa Baby. Even my eight year old can steer the Mac Quest with one hand. I'm not a fan of the Volo, I like the Triumph and Quest much better. My ds 2 has loved the Quest and naps often in it.

MamaKath
03-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I would go with a Volo if it were between those 2. My dc loved the seat on the Volo, I liked the bigger hood better.