PDA

View Full Version : Who likes their bike trailer?

astromaggie
03-16-2009, 09:46 PM

AngelaS
03-16-2009, 09:51 PM
I like my Burley.

bubbaray
03-16-2009, 09:57 PM
We have a Trek that is made by Chariot. Highly recommend either brand.

alirebco
03-16-2009, 10:28 PM
We're also looking for a double bike trailer and I have heard the best ones are Chariot and Burley. Very pricey though so it helps if you can find one on Craigslist.

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2009, 05:44 AM
We like our Burley. I think it is a 2007, but the 2008 models started reclining more, so that seems like it would be more comfy for the kids.

Our jogging kit (we had one before but it stuck and got returned) should arrive at REI today or tomorrow for pickup. I can't WAIT to send DH and DC out for a jog and to pick up groceries in it. CAN.not.WAIT to get all three of them out so I can rest :)

happy2bamom
03-17-2009, 07:56 AM
We have a double chariot and love it. I use it for the bike and as a jogger. I don't know if I could get mine through a regular door or not, it seems pretty wide.

left210
03-17-2009, 08:58 AM
We love our Burley D'Lite. We do not have the stroller attachment but you can get one for it.

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2009, 09:18 AM
I forgot to mention that we do store our Burley - collapsed crazily small - in a similar attached she with a regular door. It folds up like a pancake with the wheels inside it, very simply.

Another favorite use for us has been as a beach buggy. We put the DC inside and the towel bags, cooler bag, toys, etc. in the back compartment. It glides over the sand.

hellokitty
03-17-2009, 10:01 AM
We have a double Schwinn, it also converts to a double stroller. We really like it and I found it for a really good price on clearance during the end of summer on yr at Meijer. I like that it folds down really compactly. I have a friend who I think has a hard shell (bottom) chariot or burley, it's nice, BUT she has to drive a HUGE pick up truck to lug that thing around, b/c it doesn't collapse! I would highly suggest going garage saling for one. Many of my friends found ones that were practically brand new this way. Ppl buy these things with good intentions. Most may use it once or twice and then not use it again...

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2009, 10:20 AM
I wonder about the used ones - that they don't fold as well or have accessories as readily available. A friend has a cheaper one and her DH has flipped her kids 2x+ in it. I know the Burley has some kind of special no-flip attachment in case the bike turns over, the kids won't.

MontrealMum
03-17-2009, 10:46 AM
We have a borrowed Burley trailer that is around 18 years old and it's been great :) It is obviously very study as it DS is the 6th kid to use it - the original DC that it was purchased for graduated from HS last year!

It folds completely flat, to the point that I couldn't find it once in the basement when I went looking because DH was the one that had put it away. It fits fine collapsed in the back of both our wagons, and in the Thule box. I think that this flat fold is pretty standard for the brand so I'm surprised to hear that there is one that doesn't collapse - maybe it's damaged due to age, or wear and tear? Or the owner doesn't know how to do it?

We began to use it last summer/fall after DS turned 1 and he generally slept while riding, so it must be fairly comfortable. There's plenty of room for some animals inside too.

We don't have any of the optional kits because we have a Babyglider (pulk) for skiing - also borrowed and old. But the Babyglider is slowly falling apart so we are considering purchasing a newer Burley or Chariot instead. Both brands have similarities in that if the parent's bike tips, the trailer won't, and they have optional kits for jogging, skiing, and for stroller use. The pulk design seems more stable for skiing based on observation over the past two winters (but I think this may depend on the skill of the parent!) and can be used from an earlier age than a trailer can - which is why we went with it last year. We did not have to miss a winter skiing, though we did miss most of the summer biking due to helmet/spine concerns that recommend waiting until a year.

Chariot has the sling option for small babies (for strolling, I don't know if you can use it running or not - check their website), I am not sure if Burley has something similar or not, but our DS is 19 mos so that's not a huge issue for us. Our only decision to make is whether to gamble and get a double, or just get a single :)

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Chariot has the sling option for small babies (for strolling, I don't know if you can use it running or not - check their website), I am not sure if Burley has something similar or not, but our DS is 19 mos so that's not a huge issue for us. Our only decision to make is whether to gamble and get a double, or just get a single :)

Molly, I have a friend who took a gamble and got a double. They are now, finally getting to stick the 2nd kid in it this summer!!

Yes, Burley does have an Infant Snuggler as well as a handlebar console, ski package, etc. I really wanted to get the ladybug cover, but DH was not keen on it. Maybe he'll go for the Tiger cover. Here are the accessories http://www.burley.com/products/accessories/index.cfm

MontrealMum
03-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey, thanks! I am more familiar with the "modern" Chariot accessories because my good friend has one, but we are very happy with our Burley so I'm glad to see what they have to offer. At this point we only use ours for biking, but if we got a new one we'd get several accessory packages because it would make more sense with all the activities we do. The ladybug cover is sooo cute! We are just beginning to discuss the timing of going for #2 so that is certainly a factor with a purchase like this :)

hellokitty
03-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I wonder about the used ones - that they don't fold as well or have accessories as readily available. A friend has a cheaper one and her DH has flipped her kids 2x+ in it. I know the Burley has some kind of special no-flip attachment in case the bike turns over, the kids won't.

How did he flip it twice??? Even our Schwinn has a no-flip attachment and it is a, "cheap" trailer.

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2009, 11:50 AM
How did he flip it twice??? Even our Schwinn has a no-flip attachment and it is a, "cheap" trailer.
no idea, but wouldn't you be freaked??? I'm not sure what brand theirs is or how old it is.

hellokitty
03-17-2009, 01:18 PM
no idea, but wouldn't you be freaked??? I'm not sure what brand theirs is or how old it is.

I'm thinking that he doesn't know how to ride a bike and it's not the trailer's fault...

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm thinking that he doesn't know how to ride a bike and it's not the trailer's fault...

lol...or maybe just an extreme rider...I've ridden with him and couldn't always keep up when I was a fit 20something...

hellokitty
03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
lol...or maybe just an extreme rider...I've ridden with him and couldn't always keep up when I was a fit 20something...

Yeah, maybe he's a spaz of a rider, lol. My DH is a very good cyclist (like a Lance Armstrong wannabe) and he will goof off to try to make the kids laugh, by swerving around while pulling the trailer. He's never lost control before. Also, a lot of trailers are only rated to be ridden to a certain speed. If your friend's DH is riding faster than the recommended speed according to their trailer's directions, that could explain why he keeps tipping it. My DH could ride faster, but keeps it at a certain speed when he has the kids in the trailer with him, b/c he read the manual to our trailer and it specificially says to stay below a certain speed limit for the safety of the trailer...

mumofboys
04-03-2009, 08:30 PM
love love love my Chariot CX1.:heartbeat:
http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/cx.php