PDA

View Full Version : Bugaboo Flipping Forward Accident?

chessie
03-17-2009, 03:40 AM
I have only used the Bugaboo Cameleon about 2 times before this, but yesterday as I was crossing the street (it was raining), I quickened my pace and as the stroller hit the curb, the whole stroller flipped forward. My little one fell face first onto the sidewalk. He ended up cutting his lip, his nose was bleeding and there was some bleeding along the gum line of this upper front teeth (they weren't loose). Thank goodness for the stroller bar or else I would think he would have been hurt more seriously. I wasn't running, but definitely wasn't strolling. I have used my Peg P3 and hit the curb accidentally too, but it definitely doesn't send the whole stroller flipping forward. I then saw another mom later that day and she told me her bugaboo flipped forward once on her too (but it never happened again and she was about to catch it that time).

I keep on replaying the scenario in my head, and my explanation was that the seat on the bugaboo is more forward and upright. Since the curb stopped the stroller abruptly, I must have added my "pushing weight" to the stroller and the single handle bar made it worse than if it were the two handles on the peg. I have to say that I'm afraid to use the Bugaboo now and is a little anxious even as it go over uneven cracks on the sidewalk. Part of me want to just forget about it and part of me is so afraid it would happen again that I want to just sell it and get a Zippy. I hope other parents are careful (I guess with any stroller) when going up or down curbs. It was really scary.

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2009, 05:14 AM
I'm so sorry that happened to you two! Yikes! I've never had a problem like that with mine. When I'm coming to a curb, I always pop the front wheels up, which reclines the kid a lot.

Did you write to Bugaboo and tell them what happened? I would at least let them know. Hope your little one is okay!

MamaBear
03-17-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm sorry your little boy was hurt, and I can imagine the fright you had!

I've been using my Cameleon (our one-and-only) for just about two and a half years, and have *never* had anything like that happen. We've used it on smooth surfaces, but also on rough trails, cobblestones and beaches, and in deep snow and on steep hills.

Please correct me, but the way I read it, when you crossed the street the wheels hit the curb straight-on. Is that right, or did I misunderstand? Anyway, if you did hit the curb straight-on, I doubt even the biggest tires would've reacted any differently - it would be a bit like a head-on collision, with nowhere else to go, right?

I'm also wondering, did the harness fail?

bubbaray
03-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I've hit many curbs with my various strollers and never had the stroller fall forward like that! Hope your little guy is OK.

Have you considered reporting the incident to CPSC? I think that is the agency in the US that deals with baby gear accidents

ahrimie
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
I was thinking the same thing... did you strap him in? In the most upright position, I have to strap in my DD. With just a wiggle, she can get out and she's only 10 months so that's not good.

I've never had the stroller flip on me before FWIW.. goodness, you must have been so scared and shocked! I hope your DS recovers quickly!

chessie
03-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the responses. Yes, he was strapped in, thank goodness. He's looking better today. I really think it's more my fault for "hitting" the curb with the Bugaboo, but my guess is that if I used the same amount of force with the Peg P3, it would have just stopped abruptly as opposed to having it flipped out like the Bug. Having used the Peg P3 for over 2 years, and then switch to the Bugaboo made me realize that I have to be more careful over the curbs (trust me, I try), but I guess pregnancy brain (I ended up having a knee scrap too) and the rain made me less careful than I should. The Bugaboo has a higher center of gravity and with the seat completely in the upright position, my husband and I can see that the Bugaboo can flip forward with less force than is needed for flip the Peg. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Bugaboo, but please be careful...so scary to have a helpless child hitting the concrete strapped into the stroller!

codex57
03-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Hmmm,

Gimme a couple of days to experiment. I have a Cameleon and a Zippy. I'll go run them into a curb and see if either one seems prone to flipping forward. Just gotta figure out what to use as weight instead of an actual child.

purpelina
03-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Hmmm,

Gimme a couple of days to experiment. I have a Cameleon and a Zippy. I'll go run them into a curb and see if either one seems prone to flipping forward. Just gotta figure out what to use as weight instead of an actual child.

use a weekender bag filled with some clothing (or towels) maybe? So you can have a various weight as well in your experiment? :)

strollerqueen
03-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah, we had something similar happen to a girl on Swap a few years ago. Except I think her DH hadn't clicked the seat in all the way. And when he hit a curb the whole seat flew off. Her baby hit the ground face first, and made several trips to the hospital emergency room. She said it was pretty rough, because her baby was having a lot of trouble breathing. Ugh, I had forgotten about that, but your post brought it all back up.

Bella's Mommy
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
I recently got a Bug Cam after having many other strollers (Mac, Jane, Peg Perego, Bertini & Valco) and although I haven't had it flip, I have noticed it is way more "unsteady" going up and down curbs than any other stroller I have ever used. It seems way too tippy to me - I don't even trust it to go down a curb, so I go down all curbs backwards (the first and last time I tried going down a curb I felt like my DD would fly out of the stroller even though she is always harnessed). I have NEVER had to do this with any other stroller including the lightest weight Mac. I think it is a combo of having the seat higher up than on other strollers and also the distance between the front and rear wheels maybe a little greater (although I did have a Jane tandem with no problem going up and down curbs, but the seats were lower to the ground). I still love it, but I am very careful when I use it.

MamaKath
03-17-2009, 07:08 PM
I am so sorry you had this happen! It has come up before, as SQ mentioned, a mom from this board had the seat fly off because it was not attached properly a few years back. Very scary!!!

I have heard of the Bug tipping before because of the distribution of weight going over uneven terrain and curbs. Bugs response seems to be "we haven't heard this before" though in the couple incidents I have been aware of. I would still make them aware AND the CPSC as well. That is incredibly dangerous, especially for a stroller used so often in cities with tons of traffic.

chessie
03-19-2009, 02:21 AM
After debating, I decided to give Bugaboo a call. I was initially afraid that I would be peeved off if they tell me something like it's 100% my fault, and just brushed it off. At first, I called the wrong number and got bugaboostrollers.com (a retailer). I asked them a question about the stroller flipping and if there's anything I can do to prevent it from happening again, and the agent thinks that I should try to reduce the suspension on the front wheels since it may have added to the "bounce" even though I had it only to the second highest setting due to my son's weight (as instructed in the user's manual).

Then I got the right phone number and got a customer service agent from the actual Bugaboo service department and when hearing that the stroller flipped, she transferred me immediately to her manager. She was sympathetic and did not say much except "I'm so sorry this happened." The manager got on the phone and listened. I mentioned that obviously I was the one who pushed the stroller into the curb "by accident" and I have no intention of "suing", but I now have a little bit of PTSD (post-traumatic stress - I said it with some humor) and wanted to know if I did something wrong and what I can do to prevent it. I have hit curbs before, but no strollers have come close to flipping.

He was sympathetic and hoped that my little guy is getting better. He then went on to say that if I want to exchange or return the stroller, I would have to deal with the retailer. However, he can do what he needs to replace any parts I have issues with. I told him as far as I can see (minus a few scratches), the stroller is fine. When asked if this happened before, he said that he heard about the seat not clicking in and the seat falling off, but not the whole stroller flipping intact. As I was thanking him for his time, I asked his opinion on the buggy board since I purchased the Cameleon in anticipation of using it. He then said that as courtesy, he would like to send me the board. He also wants me to make sure the front wheels were not damaged in the accident, and when I asked to purchase a new set just in case, he offered to add it to the order. He did ask for the serial number and when and where the stroller was purchased. I offered to send him the picture of my son's swollen lips (my husband wanted to take a picture so we can compare ourselves if he's getting worse or better). He said that would be great so he can include it in the file.

Overall, I think Bugaboo handled it well. They obviously didn't come out to say that the Bugaboo can be more unsteady going up or down curbs compared to other strollers, but they didn't implied that "I was an idiot for not being more careful" or anything close. I have yet to put a heavy bag in the stroller to compare it to the Peg, but when I took the Bug out again (empty) and hit the curb (a little intentionally - I think some drivers on the road probably thought I was crazy), I can see that the black pegs above the front small wheels can be a leverage as it hits the curb (sits right above the curb) and less force is needed to make it flip than my P3.

Thanks for everyone who listened and offered their sympathy. I still have images of me flipping the stroller to find my son all bloody. He's doing much better now.

codex57
03-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry it took so long.

I didn't get it too flip, but it does seem unsteady. Well, more so than the Zippy. My area only has those rounded curbs so I couldn't test on the normal 90 degree type curbs. A little scary, but not too bad.

Part of the problem is the seat angle. When completely upright, that's when it seems like the kid could fall forward and be in some danger unless really strapped in (and the straps kinda suck). I never noticed before cuz I always had the seat partially reclined.

I suppose if it was a runaway stroller, there's some possibility it might flip. Mainly due to the weight of the kid flying forward. If I was holding onto it, I doubt it would. It's not that bad, but it did cross my mind. Just make sure everything is clicked in properly. Now that you mentioned it, I do think part of it is how the little wheels bend when the suspension is working.

Oh, and no probs with the Zippy. It just bounced back and sat there.

chessie
03-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks Codex57! I totally agree with you. My P3 is probably like the Zippy (just hit the curb and bounce right back). I still don't know how I managed to flip the Bugaboo, the stroller never left my hands. I'm glad to know that it doesn't happen very often, I'll just be more careful. Just out of curiosity, do you use your Zippy more or your Bug more? Which one would you pick if you can only have one? :)

codex57
03-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Zippy. Hands down.

Bugaboo is collecting dust in the garage. We toss DS's shoes and clothes and jackets on it. It's a $900 piece of storage equipment right now. I haven't used it so long, I forgot its quirks.

Zippy has a 1 hand fold. Much better than the two piece and multiple limb fold of the Bug. Both are supremely stable in that you can hang a ton of crap off them. However, the Zippy reclines flat and has a MONSTER canopy. Much more useful if kiddo wants a nap or needs to be changed somewhere without a flat clean surface. Bugaboo's seat tilts back, but it's always in that Z shape so it's harder to change a kid or get them to nap.

Plus, as we discovered, the upright position is a little too far forward and makes it kinda tippy if you run into something.

P3 is almost identical to the Zippy. If I had to do it all over, I woulda passed on the Bug and gone straight to the Zippy/P3. I got the Zippy in part cuz it accepts the Graco SnugRide seat. No offense, but I'm just not a fan of the Peg infant seat. If you also own a Bug, you'd hate yourself for getting the Peg infant seat cuz the adaptor on the Bug for it is HORRIBLE while the Graco adaptor is a dream (better than what Graco can make).

strollerqueen
03-24-2009, 02:41 PM
You should sell it if you don't use it; before it loses too much value.

Nooknookmom
03-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, we had something similar happen to a girl on Swap a few years ago. Except I think her DH hadn't clicked the seat in all the way. And when he hit a curb the whole seat flew off. Her baby hit the ground face first, and made several trips to the hospital emergency room. She said it was pretty rough, because her baby was having a lot of trouble breathing. Ugh, I had forgotten about that, but your post brought it all back up.

I remember that too, they didn't hear two clicks and the whole seat fell forward. I know she was SO upset, as I would have been, about the whole thing.

I thought she did report it to Bug and they didn't really seem to care and that upset her even more? It's been several years though and my memory may be wonky.

Here's the link: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=189028&highlight=bugaboo+accident

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=189721&highlight=bugaboo+accident

codex57
03-24-2009, 05:12 PM
You should sell it if you don't use it; before it loses too much value.

DW refuses. Not sure why.

I'm letting it go. We're about to have a 2nd so maybe we'll just use 2 strollers instead of a double. It's definitely got some wear to it (on the frame) so I dunno how much that'd hurt resale.

AnnieW625
03-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I will say that I emailed Bugaboo a question a few months back when I had some questions about the weight limit of their strollers and they emailed me right back. They were very friendly. not the standard form letter emails.

chessie
03-25-2009, 02:10 AM
I am not sure, but I may be one of the few who got a P3 as the first stroller and the Bug later on (instead of the reverse). My husband and I each keep a stroller in our cars (we're too lazy to switch back and forth and there are many times that I'm at work and he's out with kiddo). We needed another stroller for the second one because he's been using the Swift after the Snap and Go. I wanted something with a step or can attach a board. I was initially leaning towards another P3 or try a Zippy, but the Bug got my interest. So many people who got it raved about it (major complaint was the fold). The other thing was the reversible seat (never tried that with DS - except when he's in car seat in Snap and Go). Now that he's over two, he wants to face out -only :) Codex57, are your little ones going to be close in age (if not, I think the Bug board is one of the largest ones out there and I've read that little ones can even sit on it cross-legged)? Maybe you end up using it again? I hope I end up liking it...or else it's a pricey trial :)

strollerqueen
03-25-2009, 03:47 AM
I remember that too, they didn't hear two clicks and the whole seat fell forward. I know she was SO upset, as I would have been, about the whole thing.

I thought she did report it to Bug and they didn't really seem to care and that upset her even more? It's been several years though and my memory may be wonky.

Here's the link: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=189028&highlight=bugaboo+accident

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=189721&highlight=bugaboo+accident

Wow, Trina, what a memory! That sure brought me back. The posts where people said Bug was a fad that was dying out were so funny to read in hindsight. Made me kind of sad, too, how many of us that used to "hang out" together, just aren't around any more. It all seems so long ago, doesn't it? Things were so different then.

lefarrell
03-27-2009, 01:14 AM
What a scary thing to happen. I'm glad your little guy is okay, and that Bugaboo handled it well. Any time I've contacted them they've been super helpful, and thrown in a free set a wheels when I was sent Cam ones instead of Frog (though I prefer the foam to air). Did you have the safety strap on your wrist too? I just want to make sure the same thing never happens to me as I use my stroller for walking all over Rome, and traverse tons of curbs. My little one prefers facing me, so I back into tall curbs, and almost always use the back wheels to go down curbs instead of the front wheels first.

I bought a 2008 Zippy first, and can't stand it. It pushes like a tank, feels rickety and wobbling over the streets I have to deal with. At only 5'6" I can't believe my feet are constantly kicking the back of the stroller, and the handles are not at all comfortable for me.

codex57 - I'll trade my Zippy for your Cam!

chessie
03-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Sorry for the late response. I did not have the safety strap on my wrist, although I really don't think that would make a differnce since my hands never left the handle. When the stroller flip forward, I fell forward with it (or at least my weight tipped it forward). If the seat is in reverse, I don't think that would have happened because of the balance (his seat was in the most upright forward facing position). I do think (and hope) that what happened was a fluke incident where the wheels just so happen to hit the curb (I was going onto the sidewalk from the street) and somehow the balance was off. I did mentioned that I was NOT running, but was walking faster than I normally do. So, I do think it was a combination of things where my clumsiness, the wheels and the curb that contributed to the fall. Like codex and I mentioned, had it been another stroller, eg Zippy or P3, I could have done exactly the same thing, and the stroller would have just hit the curb and stopped. I don't know if the stroller would have flipped had I been going down the curb (from sidewalk to stree), and not seeing the drop.