PDA

View Full Version : Nursing tops - Gap? Where else?

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2009, 05:55 AM
I was underwhelmed by the ones I had from motherwear.com and motherhood the first time. I did like the Bravado tanks, gowns, and the JW gowns/sleepy dress.

Gap just sent me an email about theirs http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=35426&tid=gpemmsm10&EV=3172009_N_GMY&DI=51575269&CD=GNC_GAC but I was just wondering if there is anything new and wonderful out there.

I know lots of people don't use them, but, we've historically had 20-25 min/each side sessions, plus having to pump a lot with my low supply issues. A dedicated nursing top seemed to really help with coverage, esp. when people were over visiting.

Anyone tried the Gap ones? I need to look into that new return shipping charge - grrr...

Melbel
03-17-2009, 06:49 AM
I have several crossover tops from Ann Taylor and Banana Republic that are not specifically for nursing, but are very similar to the Gap nursing tops. For the nursing camis, I actually liked the ones at Target. Gap's new return by mail policy stinks!

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2009, 08:05 AM
I have several crossover tops from Ann Taylor and Banana Republic that are not specifically for nursing, but are very similar to the Gap nursing tanks. For the nursing camis, I actually liked the ones at Target. Gap's new return by mail policy stinks!

Thanks for the reminder about the crossover tops. I have one from ATL I used with DS over a nursing tank. What brand are the tanks from Target that are okay? They ones I had from there for DD were the worst things on the planet. Hoping they've changed... Although, I do have 2 or more Bravados. I probably don't need another tank.

Melbel
03-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the reminder about the crossover tops. I have one from ATL I used with DS over a nursing tank. What brand are the tanks from Target that are okay? They ones I had from there for DD were the worst things on the planet. Hoping they've changed... Although, I do have 2 or more Bravados. I probably don't need another tank.

The Target ones are by Gilligan & Omalley. I am a C cup and they provide decent support and are very comfortable. They were pretty cheap and at least they are easy to return if they don't work for you.

elliput
03-17-2009, 09:24 AM
I have been wearing the Target Gilligan & O'Malley nursing tanks pretty much exclusively since DS was born (not sure what happened to my old nursing bras when we moved), and have been very pleased with them.

Sugar Magnolia
03-17-2009, 09:29 AM
I'll be watching this thread.

I had the Target ones with ds2 (and used them with dd) and they were AWFUL. Baggy in the belly, too tight in the boobs, just awful.

I spoke with the manager at my local GAP and she has heard nothing of the changes. Maybe if you buy before April 1, you would be okay?

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2009, 09:35 AM
If you look at the return policy now on the site it is $6 and 45 days. Maybe I'll call and ask about returning to a store.

hellokitty1
03-25-2009, 10:14 AM
If you look at the return policy now on the site it is $6 and 45 days. Maybe I'll call and ask about returning to a store.

all maternity wear from them is "return by mail" only. this is what i just did...i ordered enough tops to get free shipping so that i only spend $6 on the return and no original shipping charges. i happen to have their charge card so i only needed to spend $60 to get FS. i orderfrom both gap and oldnavy in one purchase and i ordered every shirt i was interested in in two sizes bc they are odd. i find that ON runs larger than gap. i spent over $200 using the recent FF discount. i got all the shirts, tried them on, returniong what i don't want for just the $6 fee.

hth.

ahrimie
03-25-2009, 11:30 AM

As of a couple months ago, you could not return in the store. I tried.

I bought a nursing tank from there thinking it would be like the Bravado ones where you can wear without a bra but you canNOT. There was only a slit and no shelf bra. Now that I think about it, maybe it was meant to be worn as just a tank with a nursing bra (hahhaa, never hit me 'til now!). But even so, I think those slits would have been visible through the shirt, making it uneven at our boobies. I like a smooth look so that didn't work me for at all.

MontrealMum
03-25-2009, 11:48 AM
I had one by JW which I found a bit thin, and some nursing tanks, but also a few shirts by Boob which I liked for looking a little more put together. They don't have shelf bras though, you need to wear a nursing bra underneath. I don't know if they make that style or if they also do tanks, or if it's just shirts.

hellokitty1
03-25-2009, 02:00 PM
As of a couple months ago, you could not return in the store. I tried.

I bought a nursing tank from there thinking it would be like the Bravado ones where you can wear without a bra but you canNOT. There was only a slit and no shelf bra. Now that I think about it, maybe it was meant to be worn as just a tank with a nursing bra (hahhaa, never hit me 'til now!). But even so, I think those slits would have been visible through the shirt, making it uneven at our boobies. I like a smooth look so that didn't work me for at all.

in case you're interested, all the gap and ON stuff is super thin material, whether it's long or short sleeve and they all required a bra. they were all like "crossovers" so you lift up at the midriff and open the slit. my problem is i'm small chested, so finding a crossover that isn't cut too low where my bra shows is my issue.

frgsnlzrds
03-25-2009, 06:38 PM
I've never tried Gap or Old Navy nursing tops but I got most of my wardrobe at www.expressiva.com. I also bought a few tops at www.motherwear.com.

craezie
04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I have 6 or 8 Motherwear nursing tops from last time I was nursing. I also had nursing tops from Gap and Motherhood. While Motherwear are not always the most stylish, I found them to be the best made and best designed for nursing. I would recommend the empire styles because they offer discreet nursing (whereas anything crossover that you pull from the top does not) without a lot of extra fabric. Their clearance prices are often good, although be careful as some things are not returnable.