PDA

View Full Version : Could it be growing pains?

BabyMine
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I thought 4 years old was to young to get growing pains. I remember how horrible they made me feel when I was younger. My son just started having them. He just started screaming and cring and pointing to his calf. So I looked for any cuts or bruises and didn't find any. I started to rub his calf and he was fine. It happened again a couple of days ago. He is fine after we rub his calf. I just wish there was something better to do besides rubbing and motrin. Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas?

KpbS
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
My child seems to have them off and on and has since he was 3. His often are in his feet and when they are bad at bedtime I'll give advil or tylenol.

bubbaray
03-17-2009, 12:55 PM
My DD#1 started getting them even younger than 3. One of my earliest childhood memories is of sobbing uncontrollably with growing pains. I would have been 3 if maybe a bit younger.

I don't think there is much to do except tylenol or motrin/advil for pain and massage. Of course, my mother did none of the above and just left me sobbing on my own.

My DD#1 seems to get them a bit less now that she's older and we are using shoes with good arch support (Stride Rites with arch inserts and New Balance running shoes).

HIU8
03-17-2009, 01:05 PM
My brother used to get them. He would scream in agonizing pain. My BF's son gets them a lot as well. DS and DD so far, nothing. I think tylenol/motrin is all you can do.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Yes, ds1 has had these off and on for as long as I can remember. Motrin is what we use. You could try a heating pad too.

Beth

katerinasmom
03-17-2009, 02:25 PM
DD1 has gotten them since she was about 2.5. She's now 4.5 and she still gets them on and off. Not much to do except Tylenol and a some rubbing.

Moneypenny
03-17-2009, 02:40 PM
DD has been getting them for several months now and she is 4.5 I have vivid memories of having them in the bedroom I had when I was 3, so I think they can start pretty young. They really hurt!!

mamahill
03-17-2009, 04:48 PM
My kids have started getting them between 18 months and 2 years. It's so sad to see them crying and holding their leg, usually in the middle of the night. My ped said they are more prone to them if they've been particularly active, so if they've been playing hard all day, and you know they've been having them, you could give them motrin before they go to bed. My oldest gets them every now and then, but pretty rarely. My son goes in spurts, maybe 2-3 nights in a row once a month. I got them as a kid and remember the pain. Both of my kids have heating pads in their closets so I don't have to go digging at 2 in the morning.

geochick
03-17-2009, 05:01 PM
My 5yo ds just started getting these. Ibuprofen works on him in 20 minutes. He isn't one to complain, and doesn't like to take medication, but when his legs ache, he begs.

MamaKath
03-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Just keep an eye for things like vitamin deficiencies which can make it worse. I know my dc had horrible cramps at one point from a virus. We did gatorade, multivite and french fries (salt). That helped more than the motrin!

Corie
03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
My daughter has horrible growing pains. She still does at age 7.

My son hasn't had a problem yet.

I remember having horrible growing pains myself and always asking
my Mom & Dad to rub my legs.

MMEand1
03-17-2009, 11:26 PM
I remember having them for YEARS!!! If was horrible. My parents would tell me that since I wasn't broken, there was noting they could do and to be quiet so I would not wake up my sister (we shared a bed).

My daughter started getting them several months ago (before she turned 4yo) and she just cries and cries. I feel so bad for her because I remember it so vividly. I giver her the otc meds like everyone else here and stay up all night (or until she falls asleep) rubbing her legs.

I don't know what else to do either...

DrSally
03-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Could it be a Charlie horse? I had horrible growing pains in my legs around 8-11 years old. I thought I read that it could also be exacerbated by a calcium deficiency IIRC...

DrSally
03-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Just keep an eye for things like vitamin deficiencies which can make it worse. I know my dc had horrible cramps at one point from a virus. We did gatorade, multivite and french fries (salt). That helped more than the motrin!

Interesting!

DrSally
03-18-2009, 10:52 PM
My child seems to have them off and on and has since he was 3. His often are in his feet and when they are bad at bedtime I'll give advil or tylenol.

DS has been complaining off and on about his feet hurting at night. I wonder if it's growing pains now...

himom
03-19-2009, 04:56 AM
I'd check with your pediatrician to be sure.

My son started getting these at around 3 or 4, and I thought I knew what they were because I remember my brother screaming and crying when he was little and he got them. Mine weren't as bad, but they still HURT. So of course I was upset when my poor baby started having them. You know how it is when they're in pain and we feel so helpless!

For quick relief, I give him ibuprofen and have him take a hot bath. If it's still bothering him, I break out the heating pad and stay with him until he falls asleep. (DON'T leave a heating pad on them, they could get burned!)

I also asked our pediatrician and she told us to increase his calcium intake, which I did with calcium supplements. Voila! They disappeared.

HTH!

Jodi