PDA

View Full Version : Pelvic Muscle Trainer

BabyMine
03-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Has anyone used one? Does it help?

After DS2 I was diagnosed with a weak pelvic wall. I have tried Kegel's but I hated them. I can never remember or know if I am doing them correctly. I found the Athena Pelvic Muscle Trainer and showed my OBGYN. She agreed to write a RX and have me try it.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Haven't tried it. i went to PT for a weak pelvic floor. They used biofeedback to analyze whether I was doing kegels well. I don't like doing kegels either but they really do work- especially when you know you are doing them right.

Beth

brittone2
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
No experience w/ it, but I'd be more inclined to see a PT specializing in women's health. THey often use techniques like biofeedback (which can basically give you visual/auditory feedback to tell you whether you are doing Kegels, etc. in the most effective way possible. They also use vaginal weights, etc. with patients.

No one wants to have to go that route, but I think having an expert in strengthening the pelvic floor working with you directly can be very effective.

http://www.womenshealthapta.org/plp/index.cfm

eta:crossposted w/ snugglebuggles :)

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Ok, I looked it up and it looks like one of the things they had me use at PT. I think that it is fine but I think actually having a physical therapist would be more valuable because they can really give you advice that will improve your kegels.

If you don't kike doing kegels you won't really like this because it is just a sensor that you put inside and then kegel around. It is helpful thought that it can rate progress for you though- sometimes that makes a difference.

In PT they had me use electrical stimulation via the biofeedback sensor...I hated that part but it makes your muscles contract without you having to do anything. It can really strengthen the muscles. Again, this is something they had me do at PT.

If you don't have success with the gadget I would go for PT. It might seem weird but it is really helpful

Beth