PDA

View Full Version : Confused

mpatient24
03-17-2009, 09:24 PM
My R.E. recently referred me to a high risk O.B. though I wasn't crazy about her and I'm waiting for acceptance to a specific perinatologist a friend referred me to.

I'm confused though. During all of my 10 visits/ultra sounds with my R.E. and during both hospital visit ultra sounds they named the baby on my right Baby A, and the baby on my left Baby B. Then I see this Dr. and she switches them on me. I know it's silly, but we've gotten used to them in a certain way already, and it really bothered me. Through the ultra sounds we already know which one tends to be more active than the other, etc.

Does anybody know what determines which one they call A and which one they call B? And can they change? I tried googling it, but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks!

twowhat?
03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
The presenting baby (the one closest to the cervix) is always labeled "A". So, it is possible for them to swap positions when they are still small enough to move around in the uterus. Once you get past 24 weeks or so, they will probably stay put - no room to switch positions!

peyton
03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I was told that A is the baby closest to your cervix (the one that would arrive first during a vaginal delivery).
I'm not 100% on this, just sharing what I was told.
Good luck!

caheinz
03-18-2009, 12:05 AM
The presenting baby (the one closest to the cervix) is always labeled "A". So, it is possible for them to swap positions when they are still small enough to move around in the uterus. Once you get past 24 weeks or so, they will probably stay put - no room to switch positions!

Yep. The "A", "B", etc are defined strictly by the location with respect to your cervix. So, if the babies swap positions, so will the names.

When they're born, they're A,B... in the order that they come out. Since the baby closest to the cervix is likely to be the first out in a vaginal delivery, it's more consistent that way.

mpatient24
03-18-2009, 01:17 AM
If the A & B can change, why don't they just name them R and L for Right and Left? That way the names don't get switched on parents confusing family members when we show off pictures later. lol They changed from one ultra sound to the next in just 6 days. If they do that too many times it will get very confusing.

Momof3Labs
03-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Except they aren't always right and left! For a while, mine were top and bottom in a T-shape (were as of a week or so ago) but now are side by side (I'm pretty sure).

mamaoftwins
03-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Yep, as pps said, it's all location with respect to your cervix. My guys always stayed A & B, but we went from both head down (A on my R, B on my L) to transverse (B at the top of the T lying sideways, and A vertex at the bottom of the T) to where we ended up: A vertex on the R, B breech on the L. :) So those little buggers moved a lot - well, actually B moved a lot. ;)