PDA

View Full Version : Light stroller recs

MontrealMum
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
This is not for me!!! I feel like I have to preface this post with that disclaimer :tongue5:

I have been asked for a light (prob. umbrella) stroller rec for friends of DH. This would be for a 3-4 month old, mom travelling by air alone. Don't know how much they want to use it beyond the trip, so how much they'd be willing to invest. They are using some sort of Graco system at the moment that they will be looking to replace soon, but not sure if they want this to be that replacement as they are runners and will certainly be in the market for some sort of jogger. Both parents are tall, as is the DC.

My 1st reaction was Mac Techno because of the age (recline) and height (adj. handlebars), but I figured I'd better offer some options since it's pretty expensive. Leaning toward Techno rather than Quest because that's what we have and I find the handles just a smidge too short, so they certainly would - tho, if they don't use it often...

Here is the list I've come up with for them to check out...can anyone add any more? Or tell me to take any of these off for any reason?
Mac Techno
Mac Quest
Inglesina Zippy
BJCM
Peg Switch
Quinny Buzz or Zapp (I know, not great for tall people)
Mutsy? but which one?
Silver Cross Dazzle
Zooper Waltz

I am not entirely sure that all of these are suitable for 3/4 mos, and I know that they're not all umbrellas, but they're all *somewhat* light with a good collapse. Any more obscure names to add, or that I've simply blanked on?
TIA!

bubbaray
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
BJCM isn't an umbrella fold.

I would strongly encourage the mom that she should invest in a full-recline stroller for at least another year. If she really wants a lightweight umbrella, the Quest is about as light weight umbrella as I'd recommend for a baby that young. The Aria would be lighter, but its a book fold. Plus, I do not like that stroller at all (but some do).

The Peg P3 is my all-time fave stroller. If they might have another, it is my fave double (with the integrated toddler step -- my DD#1 was easily able to use it at age 3). The Zippy is similar.

So, long story short, I would recommend either the P3 or the Zippy. If your friend really wants a reversible seat, the Switch is a beautiful stroller.

None of the others really rock my boat, but YMMV

MontrealMum
03-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks - I was wondering about the other Pegs since I see them mentioned here a lot. The Switch just looks so cool! Any other ideas? Does not necessarily have to be umbrella, just light and easy to fold.

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2009, 08:26 AM
We started using a Triumph with DD at that age for travel and it was fine. With a combination of babywearing when you need to carry the stroller, everyone was happy. Albee has some for $139 which seems reasonable.

clc053103
03-18-2009, 08:27 AM
After air travel with a 6 month old DS alone with a book fold stroller, I would HIGHLY recommend the Zippy. It is what I immediately bought when I got home. No one is going to hold baby while you fold a stroller and put it through the security camera- you can't just roll baby through! Some woman finally saw me and asked if I was traveling alone, and helped put my bags up on the belt while I juggled DS and fought with the book fold stroller (it was an Inglesina Espresso) to close it and lift it onto the belt. This scenario is much better when you have a Zippy with true one hand open and close.

AnnieW625
03-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Highly recommend the Triumph. I love that stroller soo much. It's great for the airport, trains, and subway. I have gate checked it a lot and never had an issue. I tried a Zippy recently and while I liked it I have been spoiled with the Triumph and the super small fold.