PDA

View Full Version : Flying today-How to bring milk?

bnme
03-18-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm flying today alone with my 4.5yo and 6yo. It is in the evening and my little guy will throw a fit if he can't have some milk. Can I bring milk for kids that old? Can I buy once I pass security and just tote an empty sippy cup in my carry on? What about ice to keep it all cold? We are flying Southwest from Long Island MacArthur Airport, if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I'd try to bring it in your cup. If they make you throw it out, you can just rinse the cup and buy a carton at one of the eateries past security.

mom_hanna
03-18-2009, 09:41 AM
We bring empty sippy cups and fill them up at Starbucks once through security. We've never had a problem. They won't let you bring milk through security with kids older than 2. I wouldn't worry about keeping it cold as long as they will drink the milk within an hour or so of you getting it.

bubbaray
03-18-2009, 09:43 AM
TSA allowed us to bring milk for DD#2 (older than 2) on both legs of our trip to Maui. They also allowed us to bring 3 very large bottles of water through as well. THey didn't ask her age or anything.

deannanb
03-18-2009, 09:45 AM
I would bring it in a sippy cup -
as you are going through security, tell the xray belt person that you have some milk for your child in a cup - do I need to take it out.

I've never had a problem with liquids like that.

AnnieW625
03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
We put DD's milk in a sippy cup and had no issues with it last October when we flew from Long Beach to Boston. On the return trip the TSA guy did get a little annoyed with because I didn't pull out the boxed milk and the yogurt out of the backpack, but he let us take it on. I also think they are being more liberal with water bottles now. The guy next to us had a huge bottle of Poland Spring water and I swear I didn't see any Poland Spring water for sale at the airport store either.

fortato
03-18-2009, 10:55 AM
What about getting one of those Horizon Organic Milk Boxes? or a Parmalat milk box?

hbridge
03-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Okay, I have a VERY similar child. Our first flight ever was horrible because there was no milk on the other side of security! Landing was not a pretty picture.

Now I bring three sippy cups and a small insulated bag. Once through security I buy milk and get a cup of ice. The milk is divided between two of the cups and the ice is poured into the third. The cup of ice and one cup of milk goes in the insulated tote FOR LANDING. DC does not have access to this until we land because it is the only thing that works for ears in our family. The other cup is for drinking on the flight. We have not had a problem with flying since we started this.

Thankfully the airport that originally had no services beyond security now has a Starbucks so we haven't had a problem since our first flight.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Momof3Labs
03-18-2009, 01:18 PM
You can try to bring it, but be prepared to dump it and get more on the other side of security. To keep it cold, use a bag of frozen peas - if you bring an ice pack, you may have to toss that, too, but frozen peas are definitely allowed through security.

jammytoast
03-18-2009, 01:21 PM
We bring empty sippy cups and fill them up at Starbucks once through security. We've never had a problem. They won't let you bring milk through security with kids older than 2. I wouldn't worry about keeping it cold as long as they will drink the milk within an hour or so of you getting it.

Ditto; do this ALL the time with no problems. Esp when flying southwest which has no chilled area. Other carriers may have milk on hand, but I just get it from Starbucks.

CiderLogan
03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
I'd just bring an empty insulated thermos or funtainer or something in my bag; then I'd buy a carton of milk right before boarding and pour it into the cup. Funtainers and the like will keep it cold for hours.

LexyLou
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I fly out of JFK at least 3 times a year and I always bring the boxed milk boxes. I usually bring two and put them in the diaper bag. I've never been asked to empty it. Really, they are very good about it if there are children and it's for the kids. Just make sure it's sealed and have a couple of empty cups so they can see that your cups are empty.

I've never had an issue but I've watched them make people before and after me dump water while I'm carrying in 2 6 oz milk boxes.