PDA

View Full Version : Posting pet peeve -anyone else peeved by this?

MMMommy
03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Was wondering if anyone else was bothered by this. I get peeved (minor peeve) by posts where people ask for help or things (coupons as an example) in a presumptive, short and curt manner. I'm not peeved at people for asking for coupons or things or help, b/c I do that all the time. I'm talking specifically about posts that are worded in a rude "entitlement" way. Does anyone else ever notice this? I don't think people need to gush, ooze gratitude and say "thank you, thank you, thank you," but there are a few posts that ask for things in a not so nice way. Very few posts fall under this category, but when they do, they peeve me. I'm not posting this in response to anyone or any recent posting, it is just something I was thinking about.

infomama
03-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Doesn't bother me. I don't respond to all the requests for "help" (I assume you mean like when people ask for help finding a product) and I never have coupons to give out but I do kind of enjoy helping people find what they are looking for. I have to admit it does cross my mind at times as to why they aren't Google-ing the stuff themselves but as I said...I don't research for everyone.

MMMommy
03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm not peeved by people asking for help or for things (if so, I would be my own worst offender), but there are just certain posts where the request is sort of rudely and brusquely worded. I can't explain it, but it is just something I sense from when I read a particular post. Very few posts fall into this category that peeve me. It's hard to explain. I'm probably not making myself clear since I don't have any examples.

hellokitty
03-18-2009, 01:59 PM
MMMommy, I know what type of posts you are referring to and yeah I tend to just roll my eyes and go over posts like that. There is a nice/friendly way to ask for things and a demanding/rude way to ask for things. I always have to remind myself that this is the internet and it is difficult to interpret these kinds of things, but yeah, the way ppl post sometimes annoys me too.

JTsMom
03-18-2009, 02:19 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about, and yep, I find it annoying too. At least throw in a please or thank you! I agree with hellokitty that it's probably just an internet interpretation thing though. I'm one of those people that tends to type similarly to the way I speak, so maybe that's why the lack of "niceness" tends to bug me.

gatorsmom
03-18-2009, 10:32 PM
You know, I've never noticed that, so maybe that means I'm an offender? I am bad about forgetting to go back to my posts to say thank you for the help. But sometimes when something was really helpful I can't stop myself from gushing over it! I could see how I'd be annoying to lots of people. Hope I'm not though.

The only types of posts I don't like are the ones that are deliberately set up to attack. And it's been a really long time since I saw one of those, thank goodness.

JTsMom
03-18-2009, 10:40 PM
You know, I've never noticed that, so maybe that means I'm an offender? I am bad about forgetting to go back to my posts to say thank you for the help. But sometimes when something was really helpful I can't stop myself from gushing over it! I could see how I'd be annoying to lots of people. Hope I'm not though.

The only types of posts I don't like are the ones that are deliberately set up to attack. And it's been a really long time since I saw one of those, thank goodness.

No way! You're always nice! :) It's not something you see regularly (IMO).

MMMommy
03-18-2009, 11:09 PM

Lisa, you are definitely not an offender in my opinion. The normal request for help/coupons/things aren't annoying. It is a very specific type of post that I am talking about. Using almost demanding language with an ungrateful tone. That's the type of post I'm talking about. Not the usual "does anyone have a code for Gap" post. It's something far different from that. As Lori mentioned, it isn't something you see regularly. It only happens on occasion.

jgenie
03-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Yes, those posts bother me. The posts that really bother me are first posts (or very low post numbers) that are requesting formula checks or discount codes. It seems like for a while there quite a few people were registering just in hopes of getting formula checks.

fortato
03-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Those and the Newbies who don't post anywhere but in the bargains forum, and then you don't see them again until they need another bargain.

MMMommy
03-19-2009, 11:30 AM
An example of what I'm talking about might be a situation where someone posts asking for a coupon code from a specific store. No one else responds to the post. And then the original poster posts again wondering why no one could come up with anything or any help, using language that implies everyone is dumb for not being able to help.

DrSally
03-19-2009, 03:08 PM
No, it's not you Lisa. I know what OP was referring to. Every great once and awhile there's a brusque post wanting a code or something that doesn't even really "ask" and is someone we've never heard of. Maybe some people just frequent for the deals and see all boards as a kind of Darwinian, strictly utilitarian tool.

WatchingThemGrow
03-19-2009, 03:11 PM
I've noticed that it bothers me a little bit too. What else bothers me is when someone asks about something, gets a LOT of good replies, then never posts a follow-up. It doesn't always irk me, but sometimes I'm left wondering what happened in their situation.

KrisM
03-19-2009, 03:27 PM
I've noticed that it bothers me a little bit too. What else bothers me is when someone asks about something, gets a LOT of good replies, then never posts a follow-up. It doesn't always irk me, but sometimes I'm left wondering what happened in their situation.

I know I do this...oops. There are times I completely forget that I posted with a question. Then, weeks later, it occurs to me and I feel bad for not thanking people, but feel silly doing it so late!

veronica
03-19-2009, 03:37 PM
I know what you mean. While I do post a ton all over the boards, my clothing obsession has led me to beg, plead, and/or bow down to anyone who has a spare gymbo code, in the past. But, I am always prompt to thank and have started a whole coupon cubby at home, where I always come here first to offer them up. I also offer to those that recently gave to me and that has worked really well in the past.

I do feel strange when I see someone with 10 or so posts asking for a hard to find bargain or coupon code.......but I always tell myself, I was a newbie once too! Maybe they are here just for a deal or just getting started on the boards-neither of which we will know for a while, I guess....

jgenie
03-19-2009, 04:37 PM
I know I do this...oops. There are times I completely forget that I posted with a question. Then, weeks later, it occurs to me and I feel bad for not thanking people, but feel silly doing it so late!

:yeahthat: I never remember to go back and update. :oops:

WatchingThemGrow
03-19-2009, 04:39 PM
:yeahthat: I never remember to go back and update. :oops:
Well, as the one who originally said this irks me, you KNOW I have a bunch I've left hanging as well... that's why it comes to my mind!

KBecks
03-19-2009, 06:01 PM

I do this too, I get away from the boards or wrapped up in whatever, and then I don't know if it's interesting enough to post a follow up.

ThreeofUs
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM

Ooopsie. I do this. But I have to say that I don't want to post for the sake of posting, even though I do try to say 'thank you'.

infomama
03-19-2009, 09:09 PM
OK...I changed my mind after reading a post in another forum. I get the impression that the poster is demanding information...they are very blunt and impersonal. No wonder people ignore them....

KHF
03-20-2009, 08:41 AM
The posts that get me are the people that post super-specific questions about a product, disease, behavior or anything else then 20 minutes later post again saying, "Hello? Why is everyone ignoring me??? Can't anyone answer me???" That's probably pretty close to the OP's complaint though.

Peripherally related is when people post questions about whether a product is good or not, don't like what they hear and then argue with the people trying to help them. There was a specific incident a while back where someone kept asking about super-expensive products and even though everyone said they weren't as good as some cheaper ones, they did everything they could to argue for the expensive ones. Made me wonder why they bothered asking in the first place.

Sorry, not trying to hijack...