PDA

View Full Version : Another daycare Q ... is this resonable for $35 per day? ETA added for number of kids

slworld
03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
IGNORE. Just deleted an old thread.

AnnieW625
03-18-2009, 02:32 PM
sounds good, and very similar to my situation, but check what ratio your state has for children under the age of 3. In CA it's a 3 to 1 ratio, so if that's what it is for your state and she takes your son she will definitely need another helper.

infocrazy
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Currently she has 4 infant/toddler boys (1yr, 1.5yr, 2.5yr, don't recall the other ones age - one of them is only there 3 days a week) .....The boys play/nap in the living room where she has her laptop

Five toddlers 11 months to 2.5 seems like a lot to me. In MI, the ratio is 4 to 1. I would think she'd have to hire help with taking on your son. I think the max is 6 total though (in MI) so depending on whether her kids count or not, she may already be over the limit and need to hire help anyway.

I also found it interesting that you mentioned where her laptop was. Maybe it was just commentary but for some reason that implied to me that she spent the day online and was more an oversee v interactive kind of caregiver. Probably reading too much into it but...just thought I'd mention it.

For 2 kids (3.5 and 1.5), I pay about $9 an hour. For 1, it was about $5 an hour.

slworld
03-18-2009, 02:45 PM
sounds good, and very similar to my situation, but check what ratio your state has for children under the age of 3. In CA it's a 3 to 1 ratio, so if that's what it is for your state and she takes your son she will definitely need another helper.

Childcare ratio in my state - if three children under 24 months 1:6. So there will 4 infants/toddlers including DS.

Momof3Labs
03-18-2009, 03:47 PM
No matter what your childcare ratio in your state, that's too many toddlers for one adult, IMO. Then add in the older kids and that is a LOT for one adult. When she's dealing with diapers, potty-training, etc., where are the other little ones?

Also, with one caregiver, what happens when SHE is sick?

jenmcadams
03-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Five toddlers 11 months to 2.5 seems like a lot to me.

Regardless of legal ratios that sounds like a lot to me too -- specially for that age range. I would be concerned with that arrangement and also with the older toddlers sleeping on the couch, etc. (at our school/daycare they use low cots with fleece sleep bags starting at 18 months).

Both my kiddos started full day day care 2 days per week around 2 years old. The center we go to is considered an extremely good deal (it's basically a lab school at a local community college with a mile long wait list). They are open 7:30 AM - 6PM and provide a snack/breakfast at 9 AM, lunch and a snack at 3PM. Their caregivers have long tenure (very little turnover), etc. They don't take kids until 18 months, but at 18 months, the ratio is 1:4 (plus they often have certified students floating as helpers in the room). I think the daily cost for the young toddler room (18M - 2 1/2) is $47; for the older toddlers (2 - 3 1/2), the ratio is 1:7 and the cost is $42 per day; and for the preschool (3-5) room the ratio is 1:10 and the cost is $37 per day. Granted this includes food, but overall it's much cheaper than many of my friends pay for high end daycares where no food is provided (for 11 month olds, I've heard of friends paying as much as $70/day and $55-60 seems to be the norm). They also really try to meet ratios using only their teachers (who are all required to be director certified for ECE) and then they have helpers floating in the room to make the ratios even better.

mommylamb
03-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Our in home daycare has 2 teachers for 5 toddlers and 1 baby (he's the brother of one of the toddlers). We pay substantially more than what you are quoted (just over $50), but we live in an expensive area so I expect it. The daycare is licensed and both teachers have early childhood degrees (and one is working on her Masters). All food is included so I don't need to pack anything. The kids nap on those little cots. I do have to provide diapers/wipes/cream/etc.

lorinick
03-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Ds 1 hasn't been in day care for 4-5 years now and I paid 35.00 five years ago in a pre school setting. I think she has to many children that she's caring for. I'd rather use a center if my child wasn't getting one on one care or 2-1. And snacks,juice and wipes were included. Only had to pack lunch and diapers. I would check out a few more places.

HannaAddict
03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Honestly, it sounds unsafe and like a disaster in the making at worst and a bit unusual at best. My mom was a licensed in-home daycare provider from the time I was about seven or eight until twelve or thirteen. As another poster said, the daycare provider provided food and snacks and had to actually prepare meal plans and provide healthy, good food and wipes. Not sure about diapers, I've heard it both ways from friends in daycare. In our state and just based on my experience watching my own children, there are too many children of any age for one (or even two) caregivers. Even though the girls are not there all day, could you imagine if there was an accident, fire or something else she had to handle? Toddlers sleeping on a couch doesn't seems safe as a regular plan or like she has the right facilities for a safe napping place if she is using her couch. While she may be very nice, it is not somewhere I would even consider putting my child based on the set-up and numbers alone. The laptop comment would give me pause too. My mom had activities, snack time, etc. planned out and though it was pre-laptop era, she would not have had time to look at a computer. I often don't get a chance to look at mine and I only have two kids. $35 is about two and a half hours of child care in my city, though daycare is somewhat less, so I think it is that you get what you can pay for. I really sympathize with parents trying to find good, safe, affordable quality childcare. I would keep looking if I were you.

Your post says she is licensed, have you called and checked if she has ever been disciplined, suspended, etc.? Have you talked to the other parents and asked for references from people no longer going there? I would also be very, very, very uncomfortable with her husband being home all day. As a former criminal defense lawyer, I have seen that set of facts in molestation cases too many times. (Husband, teen or adult relative home but not officially working in the daycare.) I know that not all men molest children and can be great teachers, care givers, etc., but it is something I would think about and be concerned about and at least investigate. I would find out if he has been checked out by the state licensing agency and just be extra cautious. What does he do that he can work from home with that many children around? I think paying her for her vacation is odd too. She is a small business owner, she should be budgeting that in but why would you pay her for her vacation? It isn't the same relationship as a nanny. Just odd but a financial concern versus a safety one.

MontrealMum
03-18-2009, 07:22 PM
First of all, unlicensed daycare is just way outside my comfort zone - it might not be for you, but you asked for opinions. Also, I think that there are too many little kids per adult in that ratio, especially adding the older kids into the mix - as others said, what if there were some sort of emergency?

My son is in a daycare center (certified). The ratios are different for under 18 mos and over 18 mos. The under 18 mos. rooms are at least 2 adults per 5 children. That does not mean that for some activities/times of day there might be more adults. If one of the adults is ill, a substitute is called in for that day. Per 5 kids there is a lead "teacher" (sorry, the word does not translate) and an aide. Daycare is a profession here like early childhood education (preschool teaching), and the teachers all have the equivalent of an Associate's in early childhood education. The aides have a certificate. All endorsements must be kept up to date.

All food is provided. Per Quebec law no nuts are allowed in the daycare and parents are not allowed to provide food from home (except breast milk or formula). All art supplies, toys, and other things for activities are provided by the daycare. Parents are expected to provide diapers and wipes. DS gets one nap a day and sleeps in a crib as do all the other toddlers. He gets lunch, as well as two snacks. The daycare is open from 7 am to 6 pm. The rules for in-home licensed daycares are similar here since this is a program overseen by the government which regulates the licensing of both centers and in-home daycares. My friend has her DD in an in-home daycare and she also only has to provide wipes and diapers, nothing like toys or a pnp for sleeping like your situation.

I'm not going to tell you what we pay because it's not helpful in terms of comparison. However, the range for private daycares (not part of the government system like ours is) is between $35 to $50 per day. It would probably be higher but the cheapness of the govt. subsidized ones pulls the rate down.

MamaKath
03-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Price is cheap imo. When our dc was infant/toddler in an inhome daycare the cost was $50+ per day at the main one I used. We provided our own food, diapers/wipes, playpen, highchair, carseat, etc. I LOVED the care she recieved, her caregiver, the other children she interacted with, etc. so it was worth it for that situation.

What did your gut say on meeting the person and children, seeing the situation, etc.? I would trust that.

kijip
03-19-2009, 01:48 AM
That is about $760 a month which is pretty reasonable/lower cost for my area but you get more for it. For $750-1000 here depending on age you get multiple teachers, a learning plan, meals/snacks etc. What you describe seems like group babysitting. It does not sounds like a very good value and I agree with hannaaddict that it sounds like a lot of disasters in the making.

doberbrat
03-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Infants (defined as kids <2) ratio for my state is 1:3 1:4 if one of the children is walking.

I would; however; be very uncomfortable with the scenario you’re describing. I don’t like the age spread of the 2 groups. You couldnt pay me to let my kid sleep on a couch at the dcp that’s an accident waiting to happen. Plus, it isn’t sanitary. What happens when a kids’ diaper explodes??

I’m not comfortable w/having kids in an undedicated area (ie, her livingroom). Her kids DO count in the #s according to the licensing board.

And personally, despite my username, I would not send my child to a dc where a pet was allowed to interact with the children.

No matter how gentle, sweet etc dogs are, that’s a whole lot of kids to be closely supervising the interaction w/the pets. And sooner or later, when some toddler does something inappropriate to the pets, they’re going to react. Granted, a yorkie prob wont do too much damage, but scratches/bites can get infected, can cause eye damage, and I just wouldn’t go there.

As far as the rate, its dirt cheap for here, but you’ll have to compare prices in your area as they vary greatly.

dcmom2b3
03-19-2009, 09:06 AM
I'd be concerned, for many of the reasons that PPs have expressed. Just wanted to chime in on a point that HannaAddict raised: IMO, all adults who are going to be on the premises during care-giving hours need to have police clearance/clean background checks, whether they're caregivers or not.

My DCP is an in home family setting, husband, wife and sister. Wife & her sister are the primary cargivers, husband (works nights at another job) is there and will pinch-hit as necessary. All three of them have bkgrnd checks every 6 mos, and they're posted for parental review.

MontrealMum
03-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd be concerned, for many of the reasons that PPs have expressed. Just wanted to chime in on a point that HannaAddict raised: IMO, all adults who are going to be on the premises during care-giving hours need to have police clearance/clean background checks, whether they're caregivers or not.

My DCP is an in home family setting, husband, wife and sister. Wife & her sister are the primary cargivers, husband (works nights at another job) is there and will pinch-hit as necessary. All three of them have bkgrnd checks every 6 mos, and they're posted for parental review.

Mary-Helen makes an important point. I don't want to alarm you or anything, but there have been several cases up here of problems that have arisen from the DCP's husband/boyfriend/older children in unlicensed situations - these are people that are not actually "working" in the daycare, but have access to the house, and thus, the children. Not that you can protect against everything but I think knowing that background checks will be performed regularly, that there is someone watching, this is a good safeguard. Combined with the lack of child gates and other issues pp have raised, I would be a little wary of the situation you're describing.