PDA

View Full Version : BF twins

mikeys_mom
03-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Has anyone tried BF twins on demand rather than keeping the two on the same schedule? From my BF experiences with DS and DD, I find it so much more relaxing for me to BF on demand - I don't need to always worry about keeping on schedule. Would it be crazy to consider doing this with the twins?

I am currently BFing both girls every 2 hours per my doctor's recommendation, to get them to gain weight quickly since they were born early and are gaining weight slower than average. They just passed their birthweight at 3 weeks, which the Dr was happy about and she is hoping that by 4 weeks, she will feel comfortable with allowing them to go longer between feedings.
They are formula fed at night every 3 hours (we have a night nurse for the first 3 months) and BF during the day.

twowhat?
03-18-2009, 03:19 PM
For me it wasn't practical because you always have to find something to do with the baby who isn't eating - and if that baby were screaming it was just too hard. I found it far easier to feed them at the same time, and as they got older their sleep fell into a similar schedule as well - something that is crucial if you want any time to feed yourself (and I am always STARVING!) If I only had 1 baby, on demand would be the way to go. But having twins is HARD - I could never feed twins on demand!

twowhat?
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Oh and I didn't follow a schedule really - when one baby cued to eat, I'd just feed them both, even if it meant waking a baby.

fivi2
03-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I did the exact same thing pp did. hth

mamaoftwins
03-18-2009, 03:50 PM
I also did the exact same thing as above. :)

mikeys_mom
03-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice - makes a lot of sense.