PDA

View Full Version : Checking parent references for day care?

daisyd
03-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Did you call the parents listed as references by your day care provider? What questions did you ask them? Is there any reason why I should not pick my DCP based on my impressions alone and without checking references? Its just me, but I get the feeling that if they are listed as references they are bound to say only good things, IYKWIM. Would value your opinions.

TIA

Momof3Labs
03-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Yes, you absolutely should check them. Find out how long the people were with her, how often she was sick, if there was anything they would change or ask her to do differently (no caregiver is 100% perfect). If there aren't many recent references, ask for more. And if they only glowing, perfect comments (and she won't provide additional references), I'd consider going elsewhere. The DCP should be able to provide honest references who have good, well-rounded feedback.

elektra
03-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Definitely check. This was my main criteria for selecting our child care provider (nanny).

ha98ed14
03-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Definitely check. This was my main criteria for selecting our child care provider (nanny).

ITA! Check check check. I did a massive search for DCPs in Feb. Not only should you check their references, but you should check with the licensing agency to see if they have had any reports filed or violations found. I did this, and it was positively scary. The ones that "looked" the nicest (best facilities, shiny n' clean) has violations for staff being rough with children. It was awful to think that I would have put DD there if I went with my "gut."

daisyd
03-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Not only should you check their references, but you should check with the licensing agency to see if they have had any reports filed or violations found. I did this, and it was positively scary. The ones that "looked" the nicest (best facilities, shiny n' clean) has violations for staff being rough with children. It was awful to think that I would have put DD there if I went with my "gut."

That really helped. I hadn't thought of checking with the licensing agency.

I'm sure glad I posted this question. Thanks all!

missym
03-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Yes! Definitely check. Also, I'd ask the people you talk to if they have other names they can give you, maybe parents who used to take their kids there but don't anymore.

I found it sad how surprised everyone involved was that we followed up on references when we were switching sitters last time. Maybe it's because I've done hiring for child-related jobs before, but I can't imagine *not* checking them.

I'd recommend coming up with a list of questions in advance. It's easy to get side-tracked when talking on the phone, especially if you're nervous. I asked questions like:

How long has your DC been attending the daycare? How many hours/week?
What are 3 things you particularly like about the setting?
What are 3 things you particularly like about the provider?
What are 3 things you would like to change about the setting?
What are 3 things you would like to change about the provider?
Do you recommend this provider to your family/friends?
Does the provider follow your instructions regarding discipline and other aspects of the care of your child? If no, please explain.
Have you ever felt concerned for your child's safety? Please explain.
Have you seen any evidence of abuse or mistreatment of your child or the other children?

Also, if they're licensed, followup with the state agency on that. Make sure the license is current, see if there have been any complaints or enforcement actions, etc.

Good luck!

Puddy73
03-19-2009, 10:12 AM
I think it is helpful to ask about specifics, such as how the DCP handled discipline or how often DCP was sick. I'd be wary of vague comments like "She was great and the kids loved her."

daisyd
03-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks Missy and Jennifer. I guess a part of the problem was I did not know what I'd be asking parents. Plus I 'd thought since I'm considering an organization which runs several centers with a good reputation I could just go with my personal impressions.